S-H safety harness (V2C)

Old April 24th 06, 07:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default S-H safety harness (V2C)

An annoying property of my Ventus 2C is that the safety harness does
not hold me into the seat. When encountering turbulance my upper torso
leaves the seat and my head ocassionally hits the canopy.

The position of the shoulder strap anchors aft of the cockpit is high
enough that no downward force is exerted no matter how much the straps
are tightened. The only thing this achieves is pulling the buckle up
away from my abdomen.

Are there any solutions or workarounds for this prollum? (Besides
padding my hat?)

~ted/2NO

Old April 24th 06, 07:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Ted,

You did not say what system you have. If you have a four point, I would
recommend upgrading to a six point harness. I did that on my Nimbus 2
and was the best investment I ever put in a glider. Will be doing the
same in my Ventus this summer.

I could run the ridge and near Vne final glides after that I was not
comfortable before.

Tim

Old April 24th 06, 07:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

I had a 5th attachment point installed in my ship and it was a
considerable improvement over the 4 point original equipment harness.
The crotch strap holds the lap belts in the proper position vertically
such that, once they're tight, I don't move up or forward at all; very
nice!.

Ray Warshaw

Old April 24th 06, 08:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

I have a 4-point system. What's involved with getting a 6-point
harness?

Ray: how do you reconcile a crotch strap and a pilot relief system?

Old April 25th 06, 01:28 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

I use a "condom" style catheter with a collection bag strapped to my
leg; no spills and a large capacity. It's sold on-line by an outfit
called Stadium Pro. The fifth strap, if the attachment is correctly
placed, doesn't touch your privates; it's sole function is to keep the
lap belts in proper (low) position. I expect the fifth strap would
interfere with a pee bag or funnel system, though.

Given my somewhat plump body habitus, I'm highly (largely?) unlikely to
submarine under the lap belts. Someone more svelt might want to
consider the physics of having one's forward motion stopped largely by
that fifth strap, however.

Ray Warshaw
1LK

Old April 25th 06, 05:18 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Flying a Ventus C with a 5 point system and an external catheter
linked to a dump tube exiting on the lower gear door.

When I need to use the system I unlock the gear to lower the doors,
and loosen the crotch strap. When finished I blow out the line with a
longer tube tee'd into the dump line, raise the gear, and tighten the
crotch strap.

Works fine.

Bob

On 24 Apr 2006 17:28:53 -0700, wrote:

I use a "condom" style catheter with a collection bag strapped to my
leg; no spills and a large capacity. It's sold on-line by an outfit
called Stadium Pro. The fifth strap, if the attachment is correctly
placed, doesn't touch your privates; it's sole function is to keep the
lap belts in proper (low) position. I expect the fifth strap would
interfere with a pee bag or funnel system, though.

... text deleted

Ray Warshaw
1LK

Old April 25th 06, 10:53 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

At 19:18 24 April 2006, wrote:
I have a 4-point system. What's involved with getting
a 6-point
harness?

Ray: how do you reconcile a crotch strap and a pilot
relief system?

I've never seen a six point for real but this is what's
involved:
http://www.lukeracing.co.uk/anat.php
There's also this company:
http://www.willansharness.com/

I think straps 5 & 6 are attached to the same hardpoints
as the lapstraps and prevent the buckle from sliding
up every time you tighten your shoulder straps.

Edward