Busted TFR, what to expect?

Old May 25th 06, 12:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.misc

Default Busted TFR, what to expect?

Robert M. Gary wrote:
Can anyone on this list actually claim to check for TFRs for every
local flight in the pattern? Who would have known the VP was going to
be in Sac? He came stealth.

I can't. I'm not likely to call for pattern work. I talk to the FBO manager
though; it seems like he would know. I'm also pretty good about keeping up with
local events in the newspaper. If the VP is coming, I generally know it in
advance.

Now, on cross country flights, I always call. I need weather and I need to
file.

Will this practice eventually bite me on the ass? I suppose it could but I'll
be pretty surprised.

--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

VE

Old May 25th 06, 12:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.misc

kontiki wrote:
Not doing this shows a lack of piloting skilss, sorry but thats the truth.

It also shows a lack of spelling or typing skills. Sorry, but that's the truth.

--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

VE

Old May 25th 06, 12:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.misc

Bob Fry wrote:
"JD" == John Doe writes:

JD I had my first experience with a VIP TFR last weekend. Bush
JD was in town and I had gotten an email from AOPA notifying me
JD of the TFR in my area.

Bush was in Sacto a few weeks ago and I too got the AOPA notification
by email. Because of that, and checking the extent of that TFR, I
decided not to risk it and simply didn't fly that weekend.

But for the TFR I violated, I didn't get a notice from AOPA. Why, I'm
not sure. And the local newspaper had nothing about Cheney's visit
until afterwards so I didn't know he was in town.

JD Luckily, I've learned to check NOTAMS prior to every flight,
JD and following the procedures, the TFR didn't delay me at all
JD in getting on my way.

I rarely check NOTAMS or get a briefing for local VFR flights, and
quite honestly I doubt I'll change my habits. The FAA should
recognize that using NOTAMs alone are not enough. Maybe they should
take email addresses and locations from pilots (kinda like AOPA) and
send notices when a TFR is going to pop up in a given area.

Maybe they could reserve a frequency just to broadcast important area
NOTAMs. Pilots would get in the habit of checking it before takeoff
and during flight. Maybe area NOTAMs could be added on to AWOS
broadcasts. Something?

Why do you say that using NOTAMs alone aren't enough?

How would the FAA know where I am going to be flying so they can notify
me by email of any applicable NOTAMs?

You say that pilots would get in the habit of checking spoken NOTAMs
before each flight... how is that different from checking them online or
by a call to flight service if going online isn't feasible?

-jav
Old May 25th 06, 01:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.misc

Robert M. Gary wrote:
Can anyone on this list actually claim to check for TFRs for every
local flight in the pattern? Who would have known the VP was going to
be in Sac? He came stealth.

I get a DUATS briefing before every flight, pattern work or otherwise.

If it's a spur of the moment thing on the way home from work, for
example, and going online isn't feasible, then I call FSS.

-jav
Old May 25th 06, 01:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.misc

What is it with you guys busting TFR's ?? Don;t you ever get weather
briefings?? I can't figure it out. I have my students get a Wx
briefing before every flight, even if local that way we are informed.

The system has its flaws.
I can call for a briefing before I leave for the airport.
Problem is, the airfield is a 45 minute drive.
Add 30 minutes to get the airplane out of the hangar and preflighted.
Another 15 minutes before I get airborne.
My information is now 1.5 hours old.
I do not have a phone at the airfield, and the aircraft is an antique
with no electrical system or radios.
I have no way of knowing if anything has changed from my original
briefing until I land at my destination.
Old May 25th 06, 01:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.misc

"Robert M. Gary" wrote:

Can anyone on this list actually claim to check for TFRs for every
local flight in the pattern?

Yes.

I call for a briefing before *every* flight I take, whether it be a local
or x/c flight, specifically due to the concern of busting a TFR.

I am aware that there still is a risk that a previously unknown TFR might
even slip past the FSS briefers, but at least there will be a record of my
attempt at obtaining all information.

--
Peter
Old May 25th 06, 01:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.misc

Peter Duniho wrote:

It's a basic part of the preflight actions. I also spend a good 15-20
minutes walking around my airplane before every flight, and there's a host
of other time-consuming things (fueling, driving to and from the airport,
sometimes a visit to the pilot shop, etc) surrounding my flying. An extra
10 minutes (though, usually it's only 5) to get a briefing is a no-brainer.

I agree and I also spend a lot of time preparing for a flight.

Yesterday I took a GA-unfamiliar co-worker for a scenic flight over Niagara
Falls. After calling for a briefing, planning the fuel consumption, and
pre-flighting the aircraft, I gave him the "all-set" to climb aboard. He
turned to me and said, "Boy, you can't just gas-and-go with these things,
huh?"

--
Peter
Old May 25th 06, 01:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.misc

john smith wrote:
I have no way of knowing if anything has changed from my original
briefing until I land at my destination.

Well certainly, if a TFR were suddenly thrown up between the time
you got your briefing and the time you took off there would be a
problem. In fact though, the chances of that happening are probably
pretty slim and to my knowledge has not been a factor in any cases
of busted TFRs. Having gotten your briefing (which is documented)
your ass would be at least covered for an accidental bust in the
unlikely event they trew up a TFR over your area between the time
you got your briefing and the time you took off. If you are flying
XC a radio is an essential item, really -- IMHO.
Old May 25th 06, 01:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.misc

Robert M. Gary wrote:
Can anyone on this list actually claim to check for TFRs for every
local flight in the pattern? Who would have known the VP was going to
be in Sac? He came stealth.

-Robert

That would be me. Granted I live inside the largest (T)fr area in the
country, but for the most part it does not change. I've just developed
the habit of asking before each flight. Sure it takes a couple of extra
moments but it's worth it.
John
Old May 25th 06, 01:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.misc

Mortimer Schnerd, RN wrote:
kontiki wrote:

Not doing this shows a lack of piloting skilss, sorry but thats the truth.

It also shows a lack of spelling or typing skills. Sorry, but that's the truth.

Wow, thanks for pointing that out, as you state, my typing skills are
*essential* to the point of the post.