filing with DUATS

Old January 12th 04, 11:12 PM
Ditch

Default filing with DUATS

Anyone experiencing problems with this? Aside from the ADIZ and TFR crap.
I filed an IFR from LVK to SAC yesterday via duats and the clearance never came
available. The tower told me that only about half of the flight plans filed via
DUATS come up.
I found it strange. Back in 1999 when I was flying a C-340 for a guy, 80% of my
IFR plans were filed via DUATS and never had a problem.
I am wondering if this is something new or if I have just been lucky in the
past.

-John
*You are nothing until you have flown a Douglas, Lockheed, Grumman or North
American*
Old January 13th 04, 01:03 AM
Matthew S. Whiting

Ditch wrote:
Anyone experiencing problems with this? Aside from the ADIZ and TFR crap.
I filed an IFR from LVK to SAC yesterday via duats and the clearance never came
available. The tower told me that only about half of the flight plans filed via
DUATS come up.

I haven't filed a flight plan in nearly five years (sigh), but prior to
that I filed 50+ a year for 6 years straight and never had one lost.
The line about losing half of the flight plans is likely a very gross
exaggeration, unless the system has went downhill very fast since I last
flew.

I found it strange. Back in 1999 when I was flying a C-340 for a guy, 80% of my
IFR plans were filed via DUATS and never had a problem.
I am wondering if this is something new or if I have just been lucky in the
past.

Could be a change, but that seems unlikely and nobody has complained
about DUATS here lately.

Matt

Old January 13th 04, 02:22 AM
Ross Oliver

Ditch wrote:
Anyone experiencing problems with this? Aside from the ADIZ and TFR crap.
I filed an IFR from LVK to SAC yesterday via duats and the clearance never came
available. The tower told me that only about half of the flight plans filed via
DUATS come up.

I have filed IFR via DUATS departing RHV about a dozen times in the last
few months during my instrument training, and have never had one not
be available. I have also found that release times are much more expeditious
when Norcal is expecting you. One caveat is I try to allow at least an
hour between filing and departing. Both IFR and VFR flight plans seem
to require about an hour to "trickle through" the system.

Ross Oliver

Old January 13th 04, 02:29 AM
John Clonts

"Ditch" wrote in message
Anyone experiencing problems with this? Aside from the ADIZ and TFR crap.
I filed an IFR from LVK to SAC yesterday via duats and the clearance never

came
available. The tower told me that only about half of the flight plans

filed via
DUATS come up.
I found it strange. Back in 1999 when I was flying a C-340 for a guy, 80%

of my
IFR plans were filed via DUATS and never had a problem.
I am wondering if this is something new or if I have just been lucky in

the
past.

I've filed a dozen or so IFR flight plans via DUATS in the last 6 months and
have not had any of them lost. Well, except for the one that I
miscalculated a GMT which resulted in the plan being filed for "tomorrow"

Cheers,
John Clonts
Temple, Texas
N7NZ

Old January 13th 04, 03:00 AM
Robert Henry

"Ditch" wrote in message
Aside from the ADIZ and TFR crap.

Enjoy the privilege - there are those who have-not.

On post, it would appear that flight plans get lost for a number of reasons.
We have heard about this especially with ADIZ flight plans. Any chance that
your first fix is near or in another ATC facility boundary. Your flight
plan might be routed to the wrong facility based upon that. Just a thought.

Bob

Old January 13th 04, 03:24 AM
Dan Luke

"Ditch" wrote:
Anyone experiencing problems with this?

I've never had DUATS drop a flight plan. I use it to file about 50% of
the time.
--
Dan
C172RG at BFM

Old January 13th 04, 09:00 AM
Jeff

ya this started happening to me a few weeks ago, so now after I file on duats, I
select review flight plan, if its not there I just call FSS and file

Old January 13th 04, 09:02 AM
Jeff

I dont think they are getting lost, but they are just not being saved to the
system.
after you file next time, choose the review flight plan and see if its there.

Old January 13th 04, 10:14 AM
Ditch

I dont think they are getting lost, but they are just not being saved to the
system.
after you file next time, choose the review flight plan and see if its there.

I'll do that...thanks. I just found it weird what the tower told me.

Old January 13th 04, 11:57 AM
Matthew S. Whiting

John Clonts wrote:
"Ditch" wrote in message

Anyone experiencing problems with this? Aside from the ADIZ and TFR crap.
I filed an IFR from LVK to SAC yesterday via duats and the clearance never

came

available. The tower told me that only about half of the flight plans

filed via

DUATS come up.
I found it strange. Back in 1999 when I was flying a C-340 for a guy, 80%

of my

IFR plans were filed via DUATS and never had a problem.
I am wondering if this is something new or if I have just been lucky in

the

past.

I've filed a dozen or so IFR flight plans via DUATS in the last 6 months and
have not had any of them lost. Well, except for the one that I
miscalculated a GMT which resulted in the plan being filed for "tomorrow"

Yes, I've done similar as well. However, I don't consider that to be a
"system" problem. :-)

Matt