Garmin 430/530 up north?

Old May 22nd 07, 04:54 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
CaptainCraig

Default Garmin 430/530 up north?

Hi,

Has anyone had the opportunity to use a Garmin 430/530 north of the
60th parallel?

I'm talking Inuvik, Rankin Inlet, Iqualuit...

I am not finding anything in the Garmin manual and I know that
satellite coverage is questionable, I am just wondering how it would
affect day-to-day operations.

Thanks!
Craig

Old May 22nd 07, 05:44 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

CaptainCraig writes:

I am not finding anything in the Garmin manual and I know that
satellite coverage is questionable, I am just wondering how it would
affect day-to-day operations.

The entire planet is covered by GPS. However, satellite orbits are optimized
for middle latitudes, so accuracy is slightly less at extremely high
latitudes, even though it should still be plenty for most purposes of lateral
navigation. Vertical position would suffer more than horizontal position, but
vertical position is already much less reliable than horizontal position at
any latitude with GPS (the system is designed primarily for lateral
navigation).

Old May 22nd 07, 02:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_2_]

Mxsmanic wrote in
:

CaptainCraig writes:

I am not finding anything in the Garmin manual and I know that
satellite coverage is questionable, I am just wondering how it would
affect day-to-day operations.

The entire planet is covered by GPS. However, satellite orbits are
optimized for middle latitudes, so accuracy is slightly less at
extremely high latitudes, even though it should still be plenty for
most purposes of lateral navigation. Vertical position would suffer
more than horizontal position, but vertical position is already much
less reliable than horizontal position at any latitude with GPS (the
system is designed primarily for lateral navigation).

whjat's it matter to you, finding it hard to find your way around your
bedroom?

Fjukkwit.

Bertie
Old May 22nd 07, 03:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
ZikZak

On May 21, 8:54 pm, CaptainCraig wrote:
Hi,

Has anyone had the opportunity to use a Garmin 430/530 north of the
60th parallel?

Yep.

I am not finding anything in the Garmin manual and I know that
satellite coverage is questionable

No it isn't. You won't notice any difference in sattelite coverage.

, I am just wondering how it would
affect day-to-day operations.

If you go much farther north than Iqaluit, the geographical moving map
(shorelines, towns, roads, etc) disappears, but all the Jepp data is
still there.

Old May 22nd 07, 07:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
CaptainCraig

If you go much farther north than Iqaluit, the geographical moving map
(shorelines, towns, roads, etc) disappears, but all the Jepp data is
still there.

Excellent - that's what I was hoping to hear.

Thanks!
Craig

Old May 22nd 07, 10:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Erik

Bertie the Bunyip wrote:

whjat's it matter to you, finding it hard to find your way around your
bedroom?

Fjukkwit.

Bertie

Hjow about watching your freakishly obese fingers when yjou're
mashing them at the keyboard?

Mx's statements are backed up by plenty of articles. It appears,
for some strange reason (the atmosphere), the timing between the
receiver and the satellite can fluctuate at higher latitudes.

I'll stop feeding the troll now. Sorry.

Old May 22nd 07, 11:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Maxwell

"Erik" wrote in message

Mx's statements are backed up by plenty of articles. It appears,
for some strange reason (the atmosphere), the timing between the
receiver and the satellite can fluctuate at higher latitudes.

Bullsheit!

Mxboy was rattling his keyboard because he likes to hear himself talk. He
blathered nothing more than what Craig stated he already knew, and did
nothing to answer his question. How does it affect daily operations?

Old May 23rd 07, 12:06 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_2_]

Erik wrote in news:1356n2687l0oe40
@corp.supernews.com:

Bertie the Bunyip wrote:

whjat's it matter to you, finding it hard to find your way around

your
bedroom?

Fjukkwit.

Bertie

Hjow about watching your freakishly obese fingers when yjou're
mashing them at the keyboard?

Oh dear.,

I've upset you.

Mx's statements are backed up by plenty of articles. It appears,
for some strange reason (the atmosphere), the timing between the
receiver and the satellite can fluctuate at higher latitudes.

Bwahwhahwhahwahwhhahwhahwhahwhahwhahwhhahwhahwh! ]

Live one!

I'll stop feeding the troll now. Sorry.

Yes, you are.

Bertie

OLC North America Dan Soaring 21 December 15th 06 06:09 PM
[US: PA/VA] North Mountain Papa3 Soaring 3 October 3rd 06 11:06 PM
OSH North 40 party Jim Burns Piloting 8 August 1st 05 01:45 AM
OSH North 40 party Jim Burns Owning 5 July 29th 05 03:06 PM
This is why Garmin 296's street price has been dropping -> Garmin 396 [email protected] Instrument Flight Rules 7 July 11th 05 06:39 PM