Etching copper clad

Old December 28th 06, 09:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Ernest Christley

Default Etching copper clad

flybynightkarmarepair wrote:
Ernest Christley wrote:
Getting ferric chloride from Radio Shack is getting problematic. Is
there a common household chemical that I can use for etching a circuit
board or two? I seem to remember Jim Weir having an article about how
to do it in the not to distant past, but I can't find anything about it
in my back copies of Kitplanes.

You're thinking of this post:
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.a...+circuit+board

Scroll down for Jim's response to RS Hoover's intial post. Muratic
acid and Hydrogen Peroxide.

Ah, yes! That's it.

Thank you...and Jim...and Mr. Hoover.

Ferric chloride is good, and I figured it could be had; but, it would be
a hazardous, special purpose chemical that would sit around for a very
long time with very little likelihood of ever being used again. Muriatic
acid and hydrogen peroxide are both useful for all sorts of things.
Old December 28th 06, 10:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

Ernest Christley wrote:

Ferric chloride is good, and I figured it could be had; but, it would be
a hazardous, special purpose chemical that would sit around for a very
long time with very little likelihood of ever being used again. Muriatic
acid and hydrogen peroxide are both useful for all sorts of things.

Dear Ernest (and the Group),

Definitely go with the acid over the Ferric Chloride. I only use the
stuff because I'm already set-up to do so. The acid-peroxide stuff
sounds like a good idea.

-R.S.Hoover

PS -- I'll post pix of the thang I use for drilling on the Chugger site
then copy an edited version of the March posting to my blog.

Old December 29th 06, 01:42 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Ernest Christley

RST Engineering wrote:
September '06. Addendum...abrasion with 180 grit sandpaper/cloth does a
better and less hazmat job of removing the resist than does lacquer thinner.

Jim

Duly noted. I'm working on one of the capacitive fuel gauges. You
wouldn't happen to have the PCB artwork laying around, perchance?

I've started laying it out in gEDA, an open-source
design/simulation/production system.