Ham sandwich navigation and radar failure

Old December 21st 03, 06:05 PM
Hamish Reid

In article ,
Roy Smith wrote:

In article ,
Hamish Reid wrote:

In article ,
Roy Smith wrote:

In article ,
Hamish Reid wrote:

In article ,
Roy Smith wrote:

Hamish Reid wrote:
vi, humph. It's ed. Kids these days... :-). Anyone else for teco?

Never did any TECO, but I did use SOS, a close cousin. Used to be
pretty good at the 029 card punch too :-)

SOS? Luxury! I used to enter things with the front panel switches on
the PDP-11

Been there, done that.

Give me a nice G5 Mac any day

Like the 12" PowerBook I'm typing this on? It's actually quite a modest
machine by today's standards: 1 GHz G4 processor, 512 meg ram, 40 gig
disk, wireless ethernet, read/write CD/DVD, blah, blah, blah, but just
try and carry an 11/45 onto the subway and see how far you get.

I actually still have the "boot PROM" from an old PDP-11 (not sure
which model) -- it's just a standard Unibus board with 16 diodes and a
bunch of resistors on it. You cut the diode leads for a zero, left 'em
alone (or soldered them back) for a one. It's larger than your
PowerBook...

I'll see your boot prom and raise you a three-board core module from a
pdp-8 that's hanging on my wall.

Somewhere in the closet I've got some CDC-6600 memory. Probably more
interesting from a history of technology point of view, but not as
pretty, so it lives in the closet instead of on the wall :-)

Well, I can't beat any of this, but I do have -- somewhere in the tons
of junk I seem to have here -- a CDC COMPASS programming guide bundled
up with a type-written manual for a Simula-67 compiler on the 6600.
Wish I could find some of the card images I used to feed it -- give it
a thousand line program and at some indeterminate time later it would
simply say "Syntax error" and that was that. No hints what the error(s)
was / were or where it / they were...

Hamish
Old December 21st 03, 07:57 PM
Matthew S. Whiting

Chip Jones wrote:
"Roy Smith" wrote in message

Steven P. McNicoll wrote:

Does this possibility make you nervous while the radar is
working?

Nope. The loss of radar will not cause the ATC facility to hit an

aircraft

or terrain.

But it could cause an aircraft to hit an ATC facility. Probably why
you guys are moving all those tracons off the fields and into safe
locations in the middle of nowhere.

LOL! One of the standard jokes around the Center here is that no matter how
bad you screw up, at least the wreckage won't hit the building...

Chip, say again the coordinates of your Center facility. :-)

Matt

Old December 21st 03, 07:58 PM
Matthew S. Whiting

Dan Truesdell wrote:
Personally, I like the washing-machine-like RP06. I love the seek tests
that looks like someone put it on the "spin" cycle with a couple of wet
towels off-center.

Did the RP06 have removable media? I can't remember. I do remember
lugging around the RL02 disks though!

Matt

Old December 21st 03, 07:59 PM
Matthew S. Whiting

Roy Smith wrote:
In article ,
Hamish Reid wrote:

In article ,
Roy Smith wrote:

In article ,
Hamish Reid wrote:

In article ,
Roy Smith wrote:

Hamish Reid wrote:

[...]

And both will probably still function long after your Powerbook is scrap!

Matt

Old December 21st 03, 08:57 PM
Tarver Engineering

"Roy Smith" wrote in message
In article ,
Hamish Reid wrote:

In article ,
Roy Smith wrote:

In article ,
Hamish Reid wrote:

In article ,
Roy Smith wrote:

Hamish Reid wrote:
[...]

I have an entire 6600 stack.

Old December 21st 03, 10:17 PM
John Theune

Roy Smith wrote in
:

In article ,
Hamish Reid wrote:

In article ,
Roy Smith wrote:

In article ,
Hamish Reid wrote:

In article ,
Roy Smith wrote:

Hamish Reid wrote:
[...]

I'll have to dig around a little bit, but I had the 17 instructions that
you keyed in to the front panel switchs of a Honeywell 316 to bootstrap
to the papertape reader to load the main bootstrap to read the tape
drive. Those were the days.
Old December 21st 03, 11:00 PM
Tarver Engineering

"John Theune" wrote in message
1...
Roy Smith wrote in
:

In article ,
Hamish Reid wrote:

In article ,
Roy Smith wrote:

In article ,
Hamish Reid wrote:

In article ,
Roy Smith wrote:

Hamish Reid wrote:
[...]

Especially when you had blinking lights to track the insrtuction register.

Old December 22nd 03, 12:59 AM
Dan Truesdell

Yup. Big stacks with about 10 platters (I think). I still have a
read/write head from one. We 4 or 5 of them. Then got an RP07
"Winchester" drive (non-removable). Someone once told me that the term
"winchester" came from IBM, where their non-removable drive was the
3030. Any truth to that? (The RP07 was even more energetic during seek
tests.)

--
Remove "2PLANES" to reply.

Old December 22nd 03, 01:30 AM
Roy Smith

Dan Truesdell wrote:
Someone once told me that the term "winchester" came from IBM, where
their non-removable drive was the 3030. Any truth to that?

That's certainly the story I always heard. Goes back to the IBM-1130
days. I played with an 1130 some, but they were pretty much gone by the
time I came around.
Old December 22nd 03, 07:01 AM
Jaap Berkhout

I actually still have the "boot PROM" from an old PDP-11 (not sure
which model) -- it's just a standard Unibus board with 16 diodes and
a bunch of resistors on it. You cut the diode leads for a zero, left
'em alone (or soldered them back) for a one. It's larger than your
PowerBook...

I am quite sure it had 256 diodes (I modified one to boot not only from 8"
floppy, but from papertape and disk as well). This was on a PDP 1140.
I remember that machine fondly: I was writing up my graduate paper and had
been typing for more than 2 1/2 hours (without saving! the foolishness of
youth...) when the lights went out, and the machine with them.
Bother.
I put the machine in halt mode (nice toggle switches on the front...) and
went to restore power. When I had power back, I took out the source code
for the operating system (RT11) and the editor. I assumed the editor had
been at the "waiting for input" point and found out which PC location it
was. I entered this location with the toggle switches, put the machine in
run mode and saved my work. The joys of core memory!
Later I worked with a PDP model 1122 1/2.