work in american airports, request info

Old December 31st 05, 02:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.misc

Default work in american airports, request info

Hi,
I have a question and I don't know where I can ask info for this thing,
I try here.
I hope to receive info.
My name's Sergio and I'm italian, I have 29 yo. Is from long time that
I try to find
a job in airport here in Italy because I have a big interest for the
aeronautic world,
but here is very difficult!! Then, I'd like know if I can realize this
dream in America.
I know that american airports are biggest than italians, with a lot of
air traffic and a lot
of passengers..can them offer me a few work opportunities? The job that
I search is not one
in particular, I can do any work, for example handling baggage
operator, cathering operator,
ecc.. jobs that don't need particular work skills.
Please, can anybody give me ideas, opinions or info for to take the
right way?

I have visit the website of JFK airport but I haven't find the name of
the society that manage
the airport, or the name of societies that manages the cathering,
handling operations. This
for send them my cv or ask info.

best wishes,
sergio

my private email is: s76x AT hotmail.com (AT is @)

PS
In particular I'm interested for to find a job in the airports of NY
area because I have
relatives who live in that zone.

Old December 31st 05, 03:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.misc

In article .com,
s76x wrote:

I try to find a job in airport here in Italy because I have a big
interest for the aeronautic world, but here is very difficult!! Then,
I'd like know if I can realize this dream in America.

The job that I search is not one in particular, I can do any work,
for example handling baggage operator, cathering operator, ecc.. jobs
that don't need particular work skills.

Please, can anybody give me ideas, opinions or info for to take the
right way?

PS In particular I'm interested for to find a job in the airports of
NY area because I have relatives who live in that zone.

The best option would be to go to the web sites of the airlines in that
area, and see if they're looking for workers. The airline industry in
America is going through bad times right now -- many airlines are
bankrupt, and the jobs don't pay very well. (They are taking cuts in
pay so the airlines can survive.) Just so you know that!

Here are a couple places to get you started:

Continental Airlines, which has a big hub in Newark, New Jersey:
http://www.continental.com/company/career/default.asp

JetBlue Airways, based at JFK Airport:
https://jetblue.recruitmax.com/ENG/candidates/

Southwest Airlines, which flies into Long Island (Islip, New York; near
JFK airport) - they're hiring Ramp Agents at that city:
http://www.southwest.com/careers/ramp.html
Old January 1st 06, 11:15 AM posted to rec.aviation.misc

Thanks for the reply, I have visit the links and I have see a few job
opportunities.
Ok, I have a pair of question to ask..
First, in american airports the ramp / baggage handler agents depending
from airliners?
Second, is easy to find a job like ramp / baggage handler agent in the
major airports?
There are also particular restrictions for immigrants or anti terrorism
laws that circumscribe the assumption in the airports for only american
citizens?

Old January 1st 06, 12:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.misc

as an EU national you are NOT entitled to work in the US. You need an
employer to sponsor you for a job through a work visa. You need to
consult an immigration attorney particularly since you are looking for
non-skilled work. If you have an undergraduate (four year college)
degree, some employers will sponsor you for a "H-1" visa assuming they
have a job and the inclination to hire a non-American. If you do not
have an undergraduate degree it is considerably more difficult.
Anti-terrorism laws do not limit employment in non-sensitive jobs such
as airport baggage handlers or ramp agents (although they should!)

Old January 7th 06, 06:16 AM posted to rec.aviation.misc

s76x wrote:
[...]
I know that american airports are biggest than italians, with a lot of
air traffic and a lot
of passengers..can them offer me a few work opportunities? The job
that I search is not one
in particular, I can do any work, for example handling baggage
operator, cathering operator,
ecc.. jobs that don't need particular work skills.

[...]

Not to disappoint you, but unless you have an US parent (and thereby can
claim US citizenship) it is _very_ hard to get a work permit for the USA.
For advanced jobs that require at least a B.A. degree employers will often
sponsor an H-1 temporary work visa (max 6 years), and typically are willing
to sponsor an immigrant visa eventually. But for unskilled labour no such
luck.

Your best bet is probably to get hired by Al Italia and have them send you
to the US or to marry an US citizen.

Sorry, but the times when the US would welcome people from around the world
with open arms are long gone.

jue

Old January 7th 06, 01:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.misc

Jürgen Exner wrote:
s76x wrote:
[...]

[...]

That is clearly wrong. Most of the baggage screeners don't speak
English, or at least didn't before the time that TSA cleaned up its act.
Old January 7th 06, 03:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.misc

Stubby wrote:
Sorry, but the times when the US would welcome people from around
the world with open arms are long gone.

That is clearly wrong.

I guess you never went through the process of trying to get a work visa,
have you?
See e.g.
http://uscis.gov/graphics/publicaffa...f_121605PR.pdf
As for immigration
http://travel.state.gov/visa/frvi/bu...etin_2757.html is quite
interesting. The worst is probably family-4 for the Philippines which is
backlogged for 23 years now. Meaning, if you are born on the Phillipines and
23 years ago your US-citizen brother agreed to sponsor you and you filed an
application for permanent residency in 1982 then this year you have a chance
to finally get the green card.

Now, how you interpret these fact is of course up to you.

Most of the baggage screeners don't speak
English, or at least didn't before the time that TSA cleaned up its
act.

Many people may say that US people do not speak English to begin with, but
that is a different discussion.
Also, I am not certain what someone's language has to do with handling
luggage (you don't talk to luggage, do you?).

jue

Old January 7th 06, 05:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.misc

"Jürgen Exner" wrote:

s76x wrote:
[...]
[...]

Sadly true...it's the Country's loss too...sort of similar to the
effects of 'inbreeding'.

The diversity of healthy immigration improves quality.
--

-Gord.
(use gordon in email)
Old January 7th 06, 07:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.misc

Gord Beaman wrote
The diversity of healthy immigration improves quality.

Tell that to the Brits in London! My neighbors fled London
due to the immigration problem. I personally fled Miami due
to the immigration problem. A city full of Latino drug dealers
really improved the quality of life in Miami. My children could
hardly understand their school teachers because of their heavy
accent.

Bob Moore

Old January 7th 06, 11:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.misc

Bob Moore wrote:

Gord Beaman wrote
The diversity of healthy immigration improves quality.

Tell that to the Brits in London! My neighbors fled London
due to the immigration problem. I personally fled Miami due
to the immigration problem. A city full of Latino drug dealers
really improved the quality of life in Miami. My children could
hardly understand their school teachers because of their heavy
accent.

Bob Moore

I -did- say 'healthy immigration' didn't I?...

Anything to excess is not good isn't it?...no you say?...ok,
check your bank account, it now has 500 billion dollars in
it...and your life is about to go down the tubes...if you think
not then you have no imagination nor much of a grasp on
reality...
--

-Gord.
(use gordon in email)