Friday 072707 in Oshkosh Pt 1 - the Raptor [01/30] - "F22 lifting off 18 after very short takeoff roll.jpg" yEnc (0/1)

Old August 2nd 07, 07:53 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Andrew-S

Default * * * - TO THE GROUP - * * * Okay my reply is a bit long winded but please read it

Shiver..
Thank you for your kind words of support...
I don't think that the newbies or indeed anyone else is here to destroy the
group... I am quite sure that 99% of them are sincere in their desires to
be a part of the group and further improve upon it. Plane Noise, Clearbare
and a few others who's names escape me are no more bent upon this groups
destruction then you or I are bent on destroying the needle point newsgroup.

Have many of the newer particpants been rude and insulting? F---ing right
many of them have! Could a few of them benefit from a course in basic
manners? Damn straight they could!!! But these same charges could be laid
upon
a few of us who have been here for several years. We bristle and bar our
fangs the moment anyone even mentions the dreaded yEnc, and certainly our
remarks have been just as course and tactless as those who favor yEnc.

Many of the newer arrivals have remarked that we are stuck in the past with
our steadfast refusal accept the dreaded yEnc. Which rightly, or wrongly it
could be argued we are. In this latest episode of the yEnc debates I would
argue that the blame for the heated exchanges is very much a shared blame.
Look at my exchange with Dave if you want an example. He made what I
considered some rude snide remarks without reading any of my previous
comments. I in turn told him to F$%^ Off and then to compound things even
further I miss read two of his replies. So who is at fault? Yes it could
be said well if he had read my earlier statements there would have been no
need for the snide remarks. On the other hand if I had CLEARLY read his

One of the things that makes this Newsgroup a little bit different from any
other NG is that it is aimed at a mix of amatuer and pro aviation photo
geeks. It also by design intended to appeal to newbies who have just
discovered the wonderfull world of Newsgroups. Which is one of the biggest
reasons for my own opposition to yEnc which may confound and confuse newbies
who maybe a little shy about asking questions. When my e-mail address was
public I was constantly inundated by questions about this group,
unfortunatly in recent years due to the spam issues I have had to change to
an annoymous E-mail status. But every now and again some one will track me
down and ask a question. With the current battles though everthing has
changed and I would be willing to bet that the number of lurkers has dropped
dramaticaly. After all if you discovered a really cool sounding Newsgroup
that
appealed to you, would you want to listen to a bunch of silly twits argue
about a subject that you do not understand or care about? Then to make
matters worse the level of hostility that the waring sides are displaying
makes it seem unwise to even broach the question about what is this yEnc
thing that they are arguing about. So again why would you even want to join
such a NG, and hang around?

This group like most of the others out there has an incredible number of
lurkers, I would venture to say that it could be as many a COUPLE OF
THOUSAND. Though we will never know for sure the exact number because for
their own reasons they choose not make their presence known. Do you
remember when I asked the simple question "Where is everyone from?" Look at
the HUNDREDS who responded!!! Many also included little bits of information
about themselves, and reading their tales I thought was fascinating. I
have even heard a couple of unconfirmed tales that our group has or had a
few celebrities hidden in our midst. Again though we will never know and
one of the really cool things about the NGs is that you can hide yourself so
easily.

Which brings me to my final point...
One of my biggest concerns right now is not the question of to yEnc or not
to yEnc, instead it this the very argument! Basically we are spending so
much time and energy arguing about that it is turning people away. We are
also doing an enormous disservice to some bigger issues and events than a
posting method. Last week we lost two great air show performers, and though
some did comment upon the loss. Many of us where so wrapped up in our petty
differences that we barely acknowledged the tragedy. For my part I feel
rather a shamed of myself for that...

Here is a challenge to everyone who responds to this long winded reply of
mine.
Post an image with your reply and let's see what the group produces.

Attached is an image from an air show that Jim Leroy flew at in West
Virginia a few years ago... It was taken by me, but is not copyrighted...

Andrew

"shiver" wrote in message
TO THE GROUP.

You know folks this has always been a friendly group.

Oh yes a few agitators show up from time to time just like they have
this past few weeks.

But on the average it has always been a friendly group.

It's surprising that in the past few weeks just two or three
johnny come latelys have shown up with a desire to destroy this group.

HEY - LET'S BE HONEST.

They must be here to destroy it because they certainly are not
acting like reponsible adults who wish to build it up.

NOW ARE THEY.?????

I'll bet that these little assholes have jobs and that on the first day
of the job they were told there were certain standards and that they
were expected to follow those standards or else.

I'll bet they raised their children in a household that has certain
standards and that they expected those children to follow those
standards.

I'll bet they sleep beside a woman who has certain standards that have
to be met.... or else.

If they joined a social club, sports club, or any organization there
would be certain standards that they would be expected to adhere too.

Or else they would be told to leave and not come back.

In reality if people don't follow certain standards they get fired from
their jobs, divorced by their wives, or kicked out of the club.

But this is cyber space and instead of coming into the group and
realizing that the majority had settle the Yenc problem by declaring
this a Yenc free group years ago..... they have decided as a small
group
of relative unknowns and newcomers to be total assholes and disregard
the requests of the majority.

They have decided that their standards are more important than the
overall welfare of the group as a whole.

People like Andrew who has been here for ten years posting many many
thousands of pictures can't hold a candle to these guys.

People like Andrew are strictly dirt under their fingernails and the
way they behave is this group is more important than anybody and
everybody else.

But within a few months they will disappear just like every other
asshole who has tried to disrupt this group has disappeared.

They say they won't but we all know they will.

They will realize that no matter how much they mouth off, or try to ram
Yenc down everybodies throat that the following they are hoping for did
not materialize.

And when they realize they have few friends here and that the majority
is not responding to their postings in a positive manner they will go
and this group can get back to normal.

And to you the small group who are disrupting this newsgroup right now
I point out the obvious that you could have come in with your best foot
forward, telling us a little bit about who you are, what your interests
are. You would have seen that Yenc was frowned upon, and for all that
software you talk about I presume that if Yenc can be turned on it can
also be turned off.

Now that would have been the mature way to join the group, and if you
had done that you guys would have been immediately welcomed into this
little group of airplane enthusiasts with open arms.

Instead you have decided that for a short time you will be the assholes
of the group.

And guys I just can't understand why you take that attitude and act
this way when the absolute majority here would rather welcome you with
open arms as new friends.

But that's a decision you guys made.

SO GO AHEAD AND ENJOY YOURSELF.

When you get tired of little or no attention or response, you will
disappear just like every other asshole has disappeared before you,
because you will be ignored just like every other asshole before you
has been ignored.

You guys came here with no friends and you will leave here with no
friends. And that is a decision you guys made all on your own.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Jim-LeroyWVA-001.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	183.1 KB
ID:	15394
Old August 2nd 07, 11:30 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Dave LaCourse

Default * * * - TO THE GROUP - * * *

On Wed, 01 Aug 2007 18:51:38 GMT, shiver
wrote:

TO THE GROUP.

Verbosity snipped.

Uh, this is not a moderated group. It does not belong to you or
anyone else. It is Usenet. If someone wants to post in yenc, that is
his right. You have the right to not open it.

I know Andrew has been posting for about ten years. So what? I
appreciate his and everyone's posts, but it makes no one king of the
newsgroup just because he posts thousands of pictures over the years.

I have been following this ng for *more* than ten years. No, I do not
post very much, but I do have a good news reader that can down-load a
picture regardless its format, and I don't have to pay for bandwidth.
If you want to stay with Outlook Depressed, miss all of Plane's
excellent photographs, and continue to pay for bandwidth that you can
not or do not use, then you are free to do so. It is Usenet, not
Shiver's Net.

ott, hand.

Dave
(who realizes he ain't the most popular guy around, but does
appreciate all who post, regardless the format)

Old August 2nd 07, 11:50 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Dave LaCourse

Default What are you really trying to accomplish

Andrew, I appreciate you views and your words. I do not have a dog in
this fight, which is probably why I have never entered it until the
whining got so bad that *it* was hurting the ng, not yenc. For the
life of me, however, I can not understand why folks would visit a
binaries newsgroup with a crappy news reader. It makes no sense. Do
they still have black and white TVs, fly only in propeller driven
aircraft, and drink warm beer because they have no refridgeration? Of
course not. The same can be said of their newsreaders. Subscribe to
a good newsreader with little or no restrictions on bandwidth, and
enjoy Plane's and other's postings. Or not.

To take the attitude that this is "my" newsgroup, and you will do as
"I" say, is wrong. It is no one's newsgroup.

off my soap box

Dave

Old August 2nd 07, 12:08 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Dave LaCourse

On Wed, 01 Aug 2007 19:19:09 GMT, (DS) wrote:

I have no problem with yEnc. I have a problem with those that think I should.
,

LOL. Wish I had said that.

Old August 2nd 07, 01:50 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Just Plane Noise[_2_]

On Thu, 02 Aug 2007 06:50:56 -0400, Dave LaCourse
wrote:

Andrew, I appreciate you views and your words. I do not have a dog in
this fight, which is probably why I have never entered it until the
whining got so bad that *it* was hurting the ng, not yenc. For the
life of me, however, I can not understand why folks would visit a
binaries newsgroup with a crappy news reader. It makes no sense. Do
they still have black and white TVs, fly only in propeller driven
aircraft, and drink warm beer because they have no refridgeration? Of
course not. The same can be said of their newsreaders. Subscribe to
a good newsreader with little or no restrictions on bandwidth, and
enjoy Plane's and other's postings. Or not.

To take the attitude that this is "my" newsgroup, and you will do as
"I" say, is wrong. It is no one's newsgroup.

off my soap box

Dave

Dave, you know I agree with you, but I have to quibble about props. My
wife calls any propeller-driven plane a "Buddy Holly plane", and since
we usually travel out of Appleton, we've been on a few. I have to
patiently explain to her that some of the prop-driven craft are
considerably newer and more technologically sophisticated than some of
the hand-me-down jets we've been on. But that leads to a story:

We were scheduled to fly out of Oshkosh on Northwest's feeder, when
(as often happened) Northwest simply cancelled the flight and trucked
us up to Appleton. Our connection to the Pacific Northwest also
changed. Upon boarding the plane, I asked the young, very blond
flight attendant about flight times since we would now be going
through DTW instead of MSP. She found a flight schedule, and I
quickly realized she did not grasp the concept of time zones at all.
Then she pulled back the cockpit curtain (this was obviously pre-9/11)
to talk to the pilot. What do you know? It looked like Buffy's
18-year-old boyfriend Biff would be flying our plane today! I pointed
to them, pointed to the propeller, and said to my wife "we're gonna
die!"
Old August 2nd 07, 02:16 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Just Plane Noise[_2_]

Default * * * - TO THE GROUP - * * * Okay my reply is a bit long winded but please read it - Frecce Tricolori.jpg (0/1) - "Frecce Tricolori.jpg" (0/1) 258.1 kBytes yEnc

On Thu, 2 Aug 2007 02:53:18 -0400, "Andrew-S"
I-Still-Hate-Spammers@Sorry-I had-to-leave-for-bit.com wrote:

Here is a challenge to everyone who responds to this long winded reply of
mine.
Post an image with your reply and let's see what the group produces.

Wile I don't agree with every bit of what you said, I certainly
appreciate the tone. As a peace offering to any willing to accept it,
I'm attaching one of my favorite aviation pics. It isn't technically
perfect (it is an enlargement of a fraction of a film image made with
a normal lens), but it shows pre-Rammstein Frecce Tricolori making
smoke against some of the most dramatic clouds I've ever had in a
picture. I've UU encoded it, not because I'm backing off yEnc (I'm
not), but because this is an olive branch.

I'll also have a different kind of gift (a little later today, I hope)
for those who choose to accept it.
Old August 2nd 07, 02:17 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Just Plane Noise[_2_]

Default * * * - TO THE GROUP - * * * Okay my reply is a bit long winded but please read it - Frecce Tricolori.jpg (0/1) - "Frecce Tricolori.jpg" (1/1) 258.1 kBytes yEnc - "Frecce Tricolori.jpg" (1/1) 258.1 kBytes yEnc

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Frecce Tricolori.jpg (258.1 KB, 36 views)
Old August 2nd 07, 02:38 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Dave W

In article ,
Just Plane Noise wrote:

Having said that someone just posted a batch of images in yEnc without the
required yEnc in the subject line. Now then yEnc supporters here is your
chance to enforce your own rules... I fully expect to see all the pro yEnc
names that have engaged the anti-yEnc side when the flaming begins.
Preferable without all the nasty comments regarding those of us who dislike
yEnc...

Now go get him!!!

Andrew

The only "just posted" batch I see is mine, and all are marked "yEnc."
Did I miss a batch?

Probably you missed it. Some guy was trying to sell some old photos on
ebay. He used yEnc coding without labeling them as such. He has been
taken to task by a number of folks, and rightly so.

BTW, JPN, thanks for all the great images. Sorry Oshkosh is over but I
look forward to your contributions next summer.

Best regards,
Dave W.
Old August 2nd 07, 03:26 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Indrek Aavisto Indrek Aavisto is offline
Banned

That's a nice image. very dramatic lighting.

Cheers,

Indrek Aavisto

Old August 2nd 07, 05:49 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Rusty Knuckle

snip: Just Plane Noise wrote:
(Having said that someone just posted a batch of images in yEnc without the

I need to know!

I downloaded some stuff that could be yenc. How can I tell if it was?

RK