Central Florida, learning to fly?

Old December 14th 07, 11:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Central Florida, learning to fly?

Hi, I'm 36 and have decided I've waited long enough to learn to fly.
When I was young I wanted to fly jets like most kids but then reality
got in the way. Fortunately, I've always loved soaring too ... I've
been flying r/c sailplanes for 10 years.. so maybe time to stop
playing with toys and fly the real thing

I'm in Tampa, FL, USA. Any locals with suggestions for a good
gliderport/school?

Thanks
-tom
Old December 14th 07, 11:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
jeplane

Go to "Where to fly" at SSA.org
(http://ssa.org/sport/map/map.html)

You will find the Tampa bay society at Zephrilis airport
(http://www.tbss.us)

A bit further from you is also a more known flight school at
Groveland.
(http://www.soarfl.com)

Happy soaring!

Richard
Phoenix, AZ
Old December 14th 07, 11:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Burt Compton - Marfa

I'm in Tampa, FL, USA. �Any locals with suggestions for a good
gliderport/school?

One of the best soaring schools is close to you. Seminole-Lake
Gliderport is west of Orlando, south of Clermont. Website is www.soarfl.com
SLGP is a beautiful purpose-built gliderport, open 6 days a week.
Owners Kunt & Ingrid will welcome you and help you reach your goals.

To find most all of the soaring clubs or commercial soaring schools
(there is a difference) in the USA, visit the Soaring Society of
America website at www.ssa.org Click on the "Where To Fly"
interactive map. Be sure to join the SSA while you are on the website
to receive "Soaring " magazine.

For information on glider training, visit the Soaring Safety
Foundation website at www.soaringsafety.org Lots of good information
there to prepare you for your first lesson, including a bibliography
of soaring texts and books.

Have fun!

Burt
Marfa Gliders, west Texas
Old December 15th 07, 07:41 AM
bagmaker bagmaker is offline
Senior Member

Location: Melbourne Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burt Compton - Marfa View Post

[...]

I sure hope Ingrids husband is not really called that name!

Welcime to soaring Tom!

Bagger
Old December 16th 07, 12:54 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Tom,

I have to add my accolades for Seminole-Lake gliderport. I just spent
9 days there and finished my rating. It was recommended by a friend
and I'm glad I went there. Knut and Ingrid are wonderful and very
accomodating. The instructors, Jan and Jim, are outstanding. I can't
think of a better place to learn. I highly recommend it! Go for it!

Warren Evans

Old December 20th 07, 12:03 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Dec 15, 7:54 pm, wrote:
Tom,

I have to add my accolades for Seminole-Lake gliderport. I just spent
9 days there and finished my rating. It was recommended by a friend
and I'm glad I went there. Knut and Ingrid are wonderful and very
accomodating. The instructors, Jan and Jim, are outstanding. I can't
think of a better place to learn. I highly recommend it! Go for it!

Warren Evans

Just returned from vacation to a wealth of information. Thanks
everyone for the help, I will get right on it!

-tom