Aircraft as mobile homes

Old March 28th 07, 06:22 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.travel.air

Default Aircraft as mobile homes

On Tue, 27 Mar 2007 10:47:10 -0700, C J Campbell

On 2007-03-24 13:42:00 -0700, Sylvain said:

Mxsmanic wrote:
Has anyone done this? Is it a practical project, or are there things that
make it impractical or impossible to use an aircraft as a camper or RV?

I thought about something like that: aircraft big enough to carry a
motorbike and be self sufficient; then I ran the numbers:
turns out to be a heck of a lot cheaper to get the smaller aircraft
that fits your travelling needs, and rent a car/bike and a hotel
room at each destination (and you'll be a lot more confortable
overall). Actually, I wonder if the same holds true for the large
RV as well.

--Sylvain

I have heard of a Caravan with an interior by Winnebago. Mind, even the
Caravan doesn't really have enough room to stand up comfortably.

I have also seen a couple homebuilt amphibians that were supposed to at
least have sleeping quarters on board, but I can't remember what they
were.

I've seen an old Grumman Goose (or equivalent) that was used by a
couple as a camper/mobole home..they had converted the entire interior
so live in..they'd fly in to some remote lake, beach the plane and set
up housekeeping.

They were looking to sell the plane though as fuel and maintenace
costs were taking most of the fun out of that lifestyle alas.

Long time ago someone else took the fuselage of a DC-3 and converted
it into a road-going camper/mobile home...I've seen film of it driving
the L.A. highways and shots of the interior...sure gets drivers'
attention when *that* nose pokes around a corner at an
intersection..grin.

Jim P.
Old March 28th 07, 08:58 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,alt.disasters.aviation,alt.usenet.kooks,alt.religion.asatru
Mxsmanic

Bertie the Bunyip writes:

Yeah, I'm sure that the people of New York would agree with you

I don't see why the people of New York would be special.

Old March 28th 07, 09:07 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_2_]

Mxsmanic wrote in
:

Bertie the Bunyip writes:

Yeah, I'm sure that the people of New York would agree with you

I don't see why the people of New York would be special.

I know you can't, God love you. It's what makes you "special"

bertie
Old March 28th 07, 02:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.travel.air
Nobody

In the documentary "Contact", the rich millionaire is said to live in his
private jet. (It is a one with a pair of engines each side of the tail).

And in the documentary "Spaceballs", they have a flying mobile home. (the
reverse of using a plane as a mobile home).

The ultimate would be an AN-124 where you can litterally drive your mobile home
onto the plane and then fly away. (and the neat thing is that this is a RORO
concept since you can enter the plane from the back and leave from the front).

Old March 28th 07, 03:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.travel.air
Gig 601XL Builder

Nobody wrote:
In the documentary "Contact", the rich millionaire is said to live in
his private jet. (It is a one with a pair of engines each side of the
tail).
And in the documentary "Spaceballs", they have a flying mobile home.
(the reverse of using a plane as a mobile home).

The ultimate would be an AN-124 where you can litterally drive your
mobile home onto the plane and then fly away. (and the neat thing is
that this is a RORO concept since you can enter the plane from the
back and leave from the front).

There was also a TV show back in the early 70's called "The Magician." Bill
Bixby played the title roll and used his skills to help people. He had what
I think was a jet (might have been a 727) that was not only where he lived
but was also the garage for his Corvette.

Old March 28th 07, 03:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.travel.air
Mxsmanic

Gig 601XL Builder writes:

There was also a TV show back in the early 70's called "The Magician." Bill
Bixby played the title roll and used his skills to help people. He had what
I think was a jet (might have been a 727) that was not only where he lived
but was also the garage for his Corvette.

Then there was Johnny Quest, who had an aircraft the size of a B-52 that could
hold only four people and a dog.

Old March 28th 07, 05:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
doylflier

I always thought it was a great idea, but saw a crime story on TV
about a doctor with a twin who got into the habit of sleeping on a
foldout cot under the wing in his hangar, but then a few months later
murdered his wifed. Not sure if there is a cause-and-effect there? Any
thoughts? There's at least one hangar in KHTO with its own built-in
bar, heads, etc. So it's not so far to go, except for the wife thing.

Old March 28th 07, 07:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.travel.air
Sylvain

Nobody wrote:
The ultimate would be an AN-124 where you can litterally drive your mobile
home onto the plane and then fly away. (and the neat thing is that this is
a RORO concept since you can enter the plane from the back and leave from
the front).

this is interesting: we do not have the same concept of ultimate luxury :-)
For me, the ultimate luxury would be to travel wherever I want with nothing
more than the clothes I am wearing and a credit card (traveling first class
everywhere, fancy hotels, etc.); now if I want to fly myself, may be
a nice Falcon (but still staying in fancy hotels); camping out is really
not something I would want to do when/if I reach this point :-))

--Sylvain

Old March 28th 07, 07:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Maxwell

"Sylvain" wrote in message
t...
Nobody wrote:
The ultimate would be an AN-124 where you can litterally drive your
mobile
home onto the plane and then fly away. (and the neat thing is that this
is
a RORO concept since you can enter the plane from the back and leave from
the front).

this is interesting: we do not have the same concept of ultimate luxury
:-)
For me, the ultimate luxury would be to travel wherever I want with
nothing
more than the clothes I am wearing and a credit card (traveling first
class
everywhere, fancy hotels, etc.); now if I want to fly myself, may be
a nice Falcon (but still staying in fancy hotels); camping out is really
not something I would want to do when/if I reach this point :-))

--Sylvain

I think that's why we see so few of these projects. If someone can afford
and operate an aircraft that expensive, they are going to opt for more
luxury when they get there. I certainly would.

Someone else had a good point also. You would have to have a shower and lav
for any kind of comfort on overnight visits, and most airports small enough
to welcome this type of visit would probably be ill equipped to offload the
waste.

Old March 29th 07, 06:39 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.travel.air
Mike Hunt

Mxsmanic wrote:
Gig 601XL Builder writes:

There was also a TV show back in the early 70's called "The Magician." Bill
Bixby played the title roll and used his skills to help people. He had what
I think was a jet (might have been a 727) that was not only where he lived
but was also the garage for his Corvette.

Then there was Johnny Quest, who had an aircraft the size of a B-52 that could
hold only four people and a dog.

Most big SUVs I see on the road seem to only hold one person.