Anyone Know Where The C-74 Is Located?

Old June 15th 04, 06:55 PM
John A. Weeks III

Default Anyone Know Where The C-74 Is Located?

I am doing some research on the C-74 and C-124 Globemasters.
The information that I have found so far indicates that C-74
s/n 42-65406 survived scrapping and was displayed at Kelly AFB
at one time. Now that Kelly is closed, I understand that many
of the display aircraft were moved. In speaking with a person
stationed at Kelly, the C-74 is reportedly no longer there.

Anyone know what happened to the C-74? Did it move from Kelly,
or was it scrapped? Did it end up next door at Lackland? Or
did it go somewhere else?

-john-

John A. Weeks III 952-432-2708
Newave Communications
http://www.johnweeks.com
Old June 15th 04, 07:17 PM
Steven P. McNicoll

"John A. Weeks III" wrote in message

I am doing some research on the C-74 and C-124 Globemasters.
The information that I have found so far indicates that C-74
s/n 42-65406 survived scrapping and was displayed at Kelly AFB
at one time. Now that Kelly is closed, I understand that many
of the display aircraft were moved. In speaking with a person
stationed at Kelly, the C-74 is reportedly no longer there.

Anyone know what happened to the C-74? Did it move from Kelly,
or was it scrapped? Did it end up next door at Lackland? Or
did it go somewhere else?

I believe C-74 42-65406 was converted to a YC-124 and reserialed 42-65410.

Perhaps the person you talked to mistook the C-99 that had sat there for
many years for a C-74. The C-99 was dismantled and shipped to the USAFM for
restoration not long ago.

Old July 5th 04, 06:15 PM
Merlin Dorfman

Steven P. McNicoll ) wrote:

: Perhaps the person you talked to mistook the C-99 that had sat there for
: many years for a C-74. The C-99 was dismantled and shipped to the USAFM for
: restoration not long ago.

Do I recall seeing a XC-99 at Amon Carter Field (between Dallas
and Fort Worth) many years ago, before DFW was built, or am I
delusional?
BTW is there an index on the Web of aircraft on display at
museums? Thanks.

Old July 5th 04, 08:52 PM
Steven P. McNicoll

"Merlin Dorfman" wrote in message

Do I recall seeing a XC-99 at Amon Carter Field (between Dallas
and Fort Worth) many years ago, before DFW was built, or am I
delusional?

You're not delusional, you're just a bit mistaken. It wasn't the XC-99 at
Amon Carter/Greater Southwest but one of it's siblings; a B-36J. Learn more
about it he http://www.cowtown.net/proweb/last_one.htm

Old July 5th 04, 09:13 PM
Bob McKellar

Merlin Dorfman wrote:

Steven P. McNicoll ) wrote:

: Perhaps the person you talked to mistook the C-99 that had sat there for
: many years for a C-74. The C-99 was dismantled and shipped to the USAFM for
: restoration not long ago.

Do I recall seeing a XC-99 at Amon Carter Field (between Dallas
and Fort Worth) many years ago, before DFW was built, or am I
delusional?
BTW is there an index on the Web of aircraft on display at
museums? Thanks.

Here is my humble effort, which includes planes on sticks as well.

http://www.coastcomp.com/av/pres/index.htm

When I started this list, most museums did not have websites, so it was more
useful than it is now. After 8 years or so messing with the list, I have pretty
much moved off to other things and don't maintain it very well anymore.

I still think it's a good starting place.

Bob McKellar

Old July 5th 04, 09:38 PM
Merlin Dorfman

Steven P. McNicoll ) wrote:

: "Merlin Dorfman" wrote in message
: ...
:
: Do I recall seeing a XC-99 at Amon Carter Field (between Dallas
: and Fort Worth) many years ago, before DFW was built, or am I
: delusional?
:

: You're not delusional, you're just a bit mistaken. It wasn't the XC-99 at
: Amon Carter/Greater Southwest but one of it's siblings; a B-36J. Learn more
: about it he http://www.cowtown.net/proweb/last_one.htm

Yeah, that's it, the pictures from GSW are just what I saw.
I was at the GD/Lockheed/LM plant in Fort Worth several times
between when about 1991 and 1997, and got a tour of the "mile long
factory," but never saw or even heard about the B-36. How did I
miss it?

Old July 5th 04, 10:07 PM
Ron

You're not delusional, you're just a bit mistaken. It wasn't the XC-99 at
: Amon Carter/Greater Southwest but one of it's siblings; a B-36J. Learn
more
: about it he http://www.cowtown.net/proweb/last_one.htm

They almost flew it out of there before greater southwestern airport was closed
but the USAF would not stand for it

Ron
PA-31T Cheyenne II
Maharashtra Weather Modification Program
Pune, India