Grounded - Where to get rid of the Building Materials?

Old July 19th 06, 04:24 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Big John

Default Grounded - Where to get rid of the Building Materials?

Cutis

Are you pacemaker dependent? My first pacemaker (single lead) only
fired about 40% of the time and if it quit I just had an erratic heart
beat that I could feel.

If I had been flying I could have landed at my destination and got
fixed.

I now have a dual lead pacemaker and they burned the inside of my
heart and I am now rated pacemaker dependent.

I am looking at flying gliders as soon as my shoulder operation for
detached rotator cuff heals.

I drive, drink and raise hell so can't see why flying should be any
problem in a glider of any type.

If you are not pacemaker dependent, get your Flight Surgeon to so
state and try to run through again and show while you have one it is
not a life or death situation.

Talk to AOPA and others to see if that approach would sell.

Ask them how many pilots who have pacemakers have crashed. What data
are they basing their turn down on?

A STRONG letter from your Flight Surgeon would help a lot if you can
get him to sign. Along with a copy of your heart rythem.

Best of luck either way you go.

Big John
`````````````````````````````````````````````

On 9 Jul 2006 12:36:40 -0700, "Rocketeer" wrote:

Hi Folks:

The FAA made it official, and I appealed all the way, but the heart
monitor put the stake in the plans I made. I am grounded. I was going
to build a Renegade, Charlie Lasher's Formula V from the 80's.

So, I have to forget building the plane. I have $300.00 of Wicks
chrome-moly 4130 in 6' lengths, of 4 different diameters. Where can I
get this stuff sold?

And I have the plans, if anyone is interested.

Curtis Scholl

Old July 19th 06, 04:25 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Wayne Paul

wrote in message
oups.com...

I suspect they don't want you bypassing the medical rules by
labeling it a motorglider.

I'm quite sure they don't. The only homebuilt unpowered gliders
I've run accross have been ultralight gliders.

FF,

I fly a homebuilt unpowered glider that isn't an ultralight (gross weight
810 lbs.) It was one of the many homebuilt designed by Richard Schreder.
(http://www.soaridaho.com/Schreder/HP-14/N990/N990.html) Dick sold over 400
kits. Many of which are still flying.

In the 1960s Dick's kits were world class competition sailplanes. Extensive
information about Schreder designs can be found at
http://www.soaridaho.com/Schreder. This site archives almost 100 megs of
Schreder related data. Dick's most popular designs are the HP-11, HP-14,
RS-15, HP-16 and HP-18.

The tradition of Schreder's creativity is being continued by Bob Kuykendall.
(http://www.hpaircraft.com) He is currently developing the HP-24 and a nice
self-launch sailplane.

Jim Maske makes two sailplanes. The Monarch is an ultralight and the
Pioneer II is not. ( http://www.marskeaircraft.com/index.html)

And then there is the Duster, Cherokee, Woodstock, Windrose, etc. These are
all US designs. However, there are, also, several kits European kits on the
market.

Wayne
HP-14 N990 "6F"
http://www.soaridaho.com/

Old July 19th 06, 04:33 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

Rich S. wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...
Does the 51% rule still apply?

What 51% rule?

Perhaps you'll find this helpful:

http://www.wanttaja.com/avlinks/FAQ.HTM

I'm sure most questions you might still have can be answered
by the folks who frequent this newsgroup.

--

FF

Old July 19th 06, 04:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
R.W. Behan

Curtis,

I'm going the other way. Sailed a Westsail 32 for years, but had to give it
up at age 73. So now I'm interested in taking up flying, and maybe building
a Zenith CH 801.

If you're truly interested in building a boat, check out the Glen-L line;
simple designs intended for home builders.

Fair winds and blue skies to you, sir.

Dick

"Rocketeer" wrote in message
oups.com...
R.W.

I do sail, just not in a while....Good Idea! I think maybe a stitch and
tape ply sail boat, small at first, to get started.

Curtis S

Curtis S
R.W. Behan wrote:
Well, bummer, Rocketeer. But you pushed it to the limit, and that
commands
a lot of respect. Most people hang it up long before they're told to,
timid
and hesitant and halting. Take your spirit and apply it to something new
and challenging. Maybe build a sailboat and take it offshore....

Cheers, and thanks for a great example,

Dick Behan

oups.com...

Old July 19th 06, 08:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Wayne Paul

"R.W. Behan" wrote in message
om...
Curtis,

If you're truly interested in building a boat, check out the Glen-L line;
simple designs intended for home builders.

Fair winds and blue skies to you, sir.

Dick,

I built a Glen-L 17 sailboat back in the early 1960s from a frame kit. The
family really enjoyed it during several sailing/camping trips in
Washington's San Juan Islands.

Are these kits still available?

Wayne
http://www.soaridaho.com/

Old July 19th 06, 09:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Montblack[_1_]

("T o d d P a t t i s t" wrote)
I assume the weight/span**2 limit was chosen to force long wings even at
lighter weights, without requiring unreasonably long wings at the maximum
weight limit.

1,874 lbs MTOW
(0.62) Maximum SPAN LOADING (weight to wing span squared)

(#1)
50 ft wings (**2) = 2,500
1,874 lbs MTOW ÷ 2,500 = 0.7496 ....(NO)

(#2)
55 ft wings (**2) = 3,025
1,874 lbs MTOW ÷ 3,025 = 0.6195 ....(YES)

(#3)
40 ft wings (**2) = 1,600
1,000 lbs MTOW ÷ 1,600 = 0.625 .....(SURE)
[Easy to remember numbers]

(#5)
30 ft wings (**2) = 900
550 lbs MTOW ÷ 900 = 0.6111 .......(YES)

(#6)
30 ft wings (**2) = 900
600 lbs MTOW ÷ 900 = 0.666 .........(NO)

550 lb (MTOW) with 30 ft wing span:
300 lb (plane)
200 lb (pilot and gear)
050 lb (Fuel @ 8 gal)

Montblack
(Alt + 0247 for.... ÷ )

Old July 19th 06, 09:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Montblack[_1_]

("Wayne Paul" wrote)
If you're truly interested in building a boat, check out the Glen-L line;
simple designs intended for home builders.

Fair winds and blue skies to you, sir.

I built a Glen-L 17 sailboat back in the early 1960s from a frame kit.
The family really enjoyed it during several sailing/camping trips in
Washington's San Juan Islands.

Are these kits still available?

WHY I LOVE THESE GROUPS!! :-))))

Obscure hobby - who builds boats? Glen-L 17 just happens to be the model
....yet, another person lurking here, built one and sailed it with his
family. Wow!

Montblack

Old July 22nd 06, 11:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Morgans[_3_]

wrote

It is calculated as weight divided by the square of the span.
Which, if other posters are correct, is not the normal way to
calculate it.

Read it right off of the FAA site, here.

http://www.airweb.faa.gov/Regulatory...dvisoryCircula
r.nsf/0/eae91a15c5e11823862569b600563fbf/$FILE/AC21-17-2a.pdf

It was on page 5 of 7, in my reader.

This is criteria for type certification, but it is the standard that
homebuilts must follow to be counted as a motor glider.
--
Jim in NC