Help In Choosing A School For A Private Pilot's License

Old December 26th 07, 06:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dudley Henriques[_2_]

Default Help In Choosing A School For A Private Pilot's License

Jose wrote:
Instructors have plan and if a student flies with another instructor
who does not follow the principle instructors plan, it is a problem.

I strongly disagree. When I was taking primary lessons, I found that I
often learned more when I had a sub instructor =because= the approach or
the material was different. It is good to be exposed to different ways
of doing things, and different things in a different order.

Maybe that's just the way =I= am, but I doubt I'm all that unusual, and
I would not make the blanket statement that flying with another
instructor who doesn't follow the first's plan is "a problem".

Jose

It's more correct to say that flying with another instructor (who
confuses the student) can be a problem.

Naturally obtaining different opinions and different approaches to the
flying equation is beneficial. I don't believe Jim meant to convey that
it wasn't. I know I most certainly didn't mean to imply this.
Differing opinion is one thing. Differing opinion applied during a
structured training program DONE INEFFECTIVELY and without consideration
for how the student will react to this differing opinion can indeed be
harmful.
The bottom line is that differing opinion and viewpoint can be helpful
or it can be harmful. How this plays out defines the caliber and quality
of the teacher involved.

--
Dudley Henriques
Old December 26th 07, 06:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jim Macklin

That is the way it should be, but sometimes is not. It is one of the things
that should be looked for when selecting a school.

Old December 26th 07, 06:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jim Macklin

If you read the whole thing, you'll see that I support flying with more than
one instructor, but particularly with a pre-solo student who does not have
the skill or experience to do a TO&L session. But the false expectation and
the bad habits, frustration and even failures that are likely create a
plateau or even a big back-slide. I've seen it happen, all the experienced
instructors have seen it and many students have experienced it.

At any school, the instructor need to be coordinated and if there is a Chief
Flight Instructor {approved school] they should have procedures in place
just the Henry said previously.

--
James H. Macklin
ATP,CFII-ASMELI, A&P

. net...

Old December 26th 07, 06:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jim Macklin

Sorry, was listening to radio and wrote Henry when I meant to say Dudley.
My bad.

Old December 26th 07, 06:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jim Macklin

Right ON.

Old December 26th 07, 06:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jose

It's more correct to say that flying with another instructor (who confuses the student) can be a problem.

Flying with =an= instructor who confuses the student is a problem, irrespective of whether it is the original instructor or a different one. The implication I picked up was that being exposed to a different approach is inherently confusing; it is that with which I disagree. Otherwise what you (and others) have said applies equally to the original instructor as to the substitute one.

Jose
--
You can choose whom to befriend, but you cannot choose whom to love.
Old December 26th 07, 07:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dudley Henriques[_2_]

Jose wrote:
It's more correct to say that flying with another instructor (who
confuses the student) can be a problem.

Flying with =an= instructor who confuses the student is a problem,
irrespective of whether it is the original instructor or a different
one. The implication I picked up was that being exposed to a different
approach is inherently confusing; it is that with which I disagree.
Otherwise what you (and others) have said applies equally to the
original instructor as to the substitute one.

Jose

I'll be sure to look you up if I go back into flight instruction.

--
Dudley Henriques
Old December 26th 07, 07:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jose

I'll be sure to look you up if I go back into flight instruction.

Looking for somebody to confuse? That's too easy.

Jose
--
You can choose whom to befriend, but you cannot choose whom to love.
Old December 26th 07, 07:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dudley Henriques[_2_]

Jim Macklin wrote:
If you read the whole thing, you'll see that I support flying with more than
one instructor, but particularly with a pre-solo student who does not have
the skill or experience to do a TO&L session. But the false expectation and
the bad habits, frustration and even failures that are likely create a
plateau or even a big back-slide. I've seen it happen, all the experienced
instructors have seen it and many students have experienced it.

At any school, the instructor need to be coordinated and if there is a Chief
Flight Instructor {approved school] they should have procedures in place
just the Henry said previously.

It's no use Jim. I've been dealing with Jose now for years. He seems
absolutely convinced that classroom teachers are WAY ahead of the curve
when it comes to us lowly CFI's :-) I don't think the guy has EVER asked
me a question about flight instruction. He just lectures and lectures
and lectures some more.
He's been informing me on how to teach people to fly for years :-))
Sorry Jose, but you might at least go out and get the rating and fly
with a few students before telling us how to best do the job.
No flame intended really :-))

--
Dudley Henriques
Old December 26th 07, 07:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jim Macklin

From the original post...
" So it is important that your instructors coordinate your lessons. It is
valuable to
fly with more than one instructor as you progress in your training."

Note the word plural INSTRUCTORS, LESSONS and more than one instructor.

Part of the problem with instruction is that most students only hear part of
what was said, which makes for incomplete learning.

. net...