Another weird YouTube plane video

Old February 1st 08, 12:05 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
gatt[_2_]

Default Another weird YouTube plane video

Too bad about the comments, but, this is an interesting video. Pretty
resilient airplane.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HcURm...eature=related

Awesome landing:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y214x...eature=related

Old February 1st 08, 12:34 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
ManhattanMan

gatt wrote:
Too bad about the comments, but, this is an interesting video. Pretty
resilient airplane.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HcURm...eature=related

Awesome landing:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y214x...eature=related

Oh man, you're right about the comments - what a prick!

Second one I assume was supposed to be an emergency landing; but, if it was
an impromptu landing strip, why did what appears to be an improvised wind
sock appear at the 48 second mark? But, a good landing, never the
less........

Old February 1st 08, 01:27 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting, rec.aviation.student

Second one I assume was supposed to be an emergency landing; but, if it was
an impromptu landing strip, why did what appears to be an improvised wind
sock appear at the 48 second mark? *But, a good landing, never the
less........

I bet they just use that part of the road to land their plane when
they want to go fishing, or there's a house nearby, something they do
pretty regular -- regular enough to put up a wind sock.

Long as you can tell if any cars are coming ... *if* ...
Old February 1st 08, 01:44 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting, rec.aviation.student
James Sleeman

On Feb 1, 1:05*pm, "gatt" wrote:

Awesome landing:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y214x...eature=related

That's not an emergency landing.

This is an emergency landing:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3SL-C...3D0&index= 85

Skip to about 4 minutes in.
Old February 1st 08, 02:05 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting, rec.aviation.student
buttman

On Jan 31, 5:05 pm, "gatt" wrote:
Too bad about the comments, but, this is an interesting video. Pretty
resilient airplane.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HcURm...eature=related

Awesome landing:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y214x...eature=related

commenters on youtube have been far more polite and insightful than
members on this newsgroup for ages now.
Old February 1st 08, 03:53 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Edward A. Falk

In article ,
gatt wrote:

Too bad about the comments, but, this is an interesting video. Pretty
resilient airplane.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HcURm...eature=related

Dumbasses. It's a miracle that plane didn't flip over or worse.
Looks like he didn't even have a prop strike. Very very lucky.

Awesome landing:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y214x...eature=related

I was once given a landing on a runway about that wide, with a dogleg
in it during my primary training. No trees though. This one, however,
I'm not sure I'd want to try even today.

--
-Ed Falk,
http://thespamdiaries.blogspot.com/
Old February 1st 08, 03:54 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Jim Macklin

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uNFNFZq2BFY

Swiss Alps in a Baron

Old February 1st 08, 04:11 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Edward A. Falk

In article ,
Jim Macklin wrote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uNFNFZq2BFY

Swiss Alps in a Baron

I read about that airport once. You need special training before
you're allowed to use it. The high end of the runway is higher than
the pattern altitude.

Old February 1st 08, 04:46 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Mortimer Schnerd, RN[_2_]

Edward A. Falk wrote:
Awesome landing:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y214x...eature=related

I was once given a landing on a runway about that wide, with a dogleg
in it during my primary training. No trees though. This one, however,
I'm not sure I'd want to try even today.

I made the straightest landing of my career in a Piper Arrow at a seaplane base
down in New Orleans called Westwego. It had a relatively short, very narrow
runway alongside the waterway. How narrow was it? You know how when you flare,
the runway spreads out on either side of you?

This one didn't. The airport is closed now... you have to wonder why.

--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN
mschnerdatcarolina.rr.com

Old February 1st 08, 05:05 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Mortimer Schnerd, RN[_2_]

Edward A. Falk wrote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uNFNFZq2BFY

Swiss Alps in a Baron

I read about that airport once. You need special training before
you're allowed to use it. The high end of the runway is higher than
the pattern altitude.

I took a Turbo C-206 out of a 2200' grass strip (Branson Field) on a hillside
that led downhill directly to Lake Norman in the Pidmont of North Carolina.
There was a storage building right at the edge of the water so you needed to be
a good 15 feet in the air as you crossed the shoreline. All takeoffs were
downhill; all landings were uphill, no matter what the wind was doing. There
were trees on both sides but the strip was a good 200 feet wide so you didn't
feel horned in.

I'd never flown a 206 of any kind before and had no checkout. I did have a few
hundred hours in C-210s so I didn't feel completely out of place. So I cranked
it up, did my runup at the top of the hill and poured the coal to it. The
damned seat slid to the rear of its travel!

Talk about a wild ride down the hill towards that storage building. Stopping
was not an option. I was stretched out trying to keep my feet on the rudder
pedals so I couldn't see where I was going. At what I hoped was the correct
time, I staggered into the air and leveled off as soon as I could so that I
could slide the seat back forward.

All I can say is I was glad nobody saw me. I started paying a lot more
attention to the seat locking in the track after that.

--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN
mschnerdatcarolina.rr.com