Another weird YouTube plane video

Old February 1st 08, 10:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Jim Macklin

Default Another weird YouTube plane video

I flew a Beech P58 Baron into A-A Ranch in Wyoming many
years ago. The runway was below the snow line in the
summer. There was a 500-1,000 feet of generally level paved
surface, then a 1,000 feet or so of runway that was at a
steep angle, 15-20% if I remember, followed with a generally
level section on the tip of the hill. Airport elevation was
around 9,000 IIRC.

Landing was no problem, but I did have one minor problem
after landing, both engines dies half way up the hill.
Seems that Beech did not use altitude compensating fuel
control units on the airplane. Full rich mixtures for a
possible go-around drowned the engine when the throttles
were closed.

Got it stopped before it began to roll backward down the
runway and did not have it do a tail strike!

Got it re-started and with the mixtures about 1/2 way back
it would idle. Taxied up. I much prefer the King Air, no
mixture control.

If it had not started? I would probably have carefully
tried something "silly" after having the passengers get out.
I was thinking of letting the left brake slip a little so it
would roll backward and I could do a U turn. Then I'd coast
down the hill, keeping the speed down. Glad it started.

There was no mention in the P Baron POH about the mixture
problem at altitude. Same engine in the turbo Baron and
Bonanza. Just keep in mind, full rich until touchdown, half
mixture BEFORE closing the throttles.

I think that airport is closed now, it was in SE Wyoming
north of Denver.

--
James H. Macklin
ATP,CFI,A&P

| :
|
| Bertie the Bunyip schrieb:
|
| Well, I believe you make the approach from mre or less
level flight.

| You believe wrongly.
|
| There are those who comment about piloting without ever
having piloted a
| real plane, and then there are those who comment about
alitports withot

Old February 1st 08, 11:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
JGalban via AviationKB.com

Bertie the Bunyip wrote:

I can't even figure out WTF this guy was trying to do! Aside from anything
else, the driver in the car had to have been a bit worried about getting
chopped up if it all went wrong..

That's what I was wondering. What exactly was it supposed to look like if
it had gone "right"? Assuming that the plane had been centered, the nose
gear would have come crashing through the windshield. Followed by the prop.
Hard to imagine a good outcome here, even in the best of circumstances.

John Galban=====N4BQ (PA28-180)

Old February 1st 08, 11:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Stefan

Jim Macklin schrieb:

Airport elevation was around 9,000 IIRC.

Full rich mixtures for a possible go-around

Shaking my head in disbelieve.

There was no mention in the P Baron POH about the mixture
problem at altitude.

Of course not. This is basic PP stuff.

Just keep in mind, full rich until touchdown,

So you haven't learnt your lesson.
Old February 1st 08, 11:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Bertie the Bunyip[_25_]

Stefan wrote in news:55ab6$47a3a933$54497f22$7207
@news.hispeed.ch:

Jim Macklin schrieb:

Airport elevation was around 9,000 IIRC.

Full rich mixtures for a possible go-around

Shaking my head in disbelieve.

There was no mention in the P Baron POH about the mixture
problem at altitude.

Of course not. This is basic PP stuff.

Just keep in mind, full rich until touchdown,

So you haven't learnt your lesson.

Ho'w the tooth count coming?

Bertie
Old February 2nd 08, 01:06 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
B A R R Y

On Fri, 1 Feb 2008 16:26:29 -0600, "Jim Macklin"
wrote:

Got it stopped before it began to roll backward down the
runway and did not have it do a tail strike!

A few years back, an unoccupied Seneca rolled backwards down an
embankment at Chester, CT, and hit a some really nice cars,
tail-first.

Not pretty... The entire tail section was trashed. A good case could
have been made for rear bumpers on airplanes!

There was no mention in the P Baron POH about the mixture
problem at altitude. Same engine in the turbo Baron and
Bonanza.

My much simpler '76 Sundowner does mention mixture vs. surface
altitude. What year Baron was it?

Old February 2nd 08, 04:31 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting, rec.aviation.student

On Feb 1, 5:44*am, Bertie the Bunyip wrote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=unkIVvjZc9Y

We could use some of that over here.
Old February 2nd 08, 04:35 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

On Feb 1, 5:01*pm, "JGalban via AviationKB.com" u32749@uwe wrote:
Bertie the Bunyip wrote:

I can't even figure out WTF this guy was trying to do! Aside from anything
else, the driver in the car had to have been a bit worried about getting
chopped up if it all went wrong..

* That's what I was wondering. * What exactly was it supposed to look like if
it had gone "right"? *Assuming that the plane had been centered, the nose
gear would have come crashing through the windshield. *Followed by the prop.
Hard to imagine a good outcome here, even in the best of circumstances.

John Galban=====N4BQ (PA28-180)

Aw come on. Crash helmet tech has really improved in the last 10
years.

He prolly could have taken a wack or two.

I wonder if they were drunk when they thought that stunt up?
Old February 2nd 08, 04:47 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting, rec.aviation.student
James Sleeman

On Feb 1, 10:08*pm, William Hung wrote:

That "plane" is a Sabre trike, it stalls in the low 20s IIRC. *Try

Where did you see that? Don't think the video showed or mentioned the
aircraft, the closest we got was a shadow of it, and it looked more a
3 axis machine to me, MX or something like it.
Old February 2nd 08, 09:46 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Bertie the Bunyip[_25_]

wrote in news:949afeff-966e-47f8-8862-34fb7a4fe4b5
@v46g2000hsv.googlegroups.com:

On Feb 1, 5:44*am, Bertie the Bunyip wrote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=unkIVvjZc9Y

We could use some of that over here.

Everywhere!

Bertie
Old February 2nd 08, 03:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Capt. Geoffrey Thorpe

"Edward A. Falk" wrote in message
In article ,
gatt wrote:

Too bad about the comments, but, this is an interesting video. Pretty
resilient airplane.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HcURm...eature=related

Dumbasses. It's a miracle that plane didn't flip over or worse.
Looks like he didn't even have a prop strike. Very very lucky.

This video has come up bevore and as I recall, there was no intent to land on
the car - Contrary to what the "commentator" claimed...

What I don't recall is what they were really trying to do before the contact
between the airplane and the car.

--
Geoff
The Sea Hawk at Wow Way d0t Com