Buffer for Waxing & Polishing

Old February 16th 13, 04:57 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike the Strike

Default Buffer for Waxing & Polishing

My old orbital buffer died, so I am throwing the question to US RAS members to suggest a replacement. I know they run the whole gamut from $29 to $999 - looking for a recommendation for a reliable and cost-effective unit.

Mike
Old February 16th 13, 06:02 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paul Cordell

I get amazing results from the Porter - Cable Model 7424

I've owned the same one for almost 15 years and done many sailplanes, trailers and cars with it on a regular basis.
Old February 16th 13, 02:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
6PK

On Friday, February 15, 2013 8:57:02 PM UTC-8, Mike the Strike wrote:
My old orbital buffer died, so I am throwing the question to US RAS members to suggest a replacement. I know they run the whole gamut from $29 to $999 - looking for a recommendation for a reliable and cost-effective unit.

Mike

$29 or less; Harbor Freight verity 10" works just fine.
You actually "can" do harm with the real fancy ones.
6PK
Old February 16th 13, 03:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tim Taylor

I second Paul's recommendation on the Porter-Cable 6". Works well and is big enough for most projects but small enough to handle. Supported by the auto community so many choices on pads and bonnets.
Old February 16th 13, 08:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Boise Pilot

Old February 16th 13, 08:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Boise Pilot

Old February 17th 13, 01:27 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andrzej Kobus

On Feb 16, 10:27*am, Tim Taylor wrote:
I second Paul's recommendation on the Porter-Cable 6". *Works well and is big enough for most projects but small enough to handle. *Supported by the auto community so many choices on pads and bonnets.

Third. I am using it on my cars and motor home and my glider.
Old February 17th 13, 02:09 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Joyce Acheson

http://www.wingsandwheels.com/page44.htm

Get the BEST.
Old February 17th 13, 02:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Saturday, February 16, 2013 7:09:04 PM UTC-7, Joyce Acheson wrote:
http://www.wingsandwheels.com/page44.htm
Get the BEST.

Joyce, Your kidding right? I think the last thing anyone needs is a dated overpriced machine with limited selection of heads and pads. Further, getting a 3000RPM single speed orbital with an oddly placed on/off switch anywhere near an expensive glider would not be my idea of fun (Might try it on a trailer though). I think before anyone goes recommending an orbital over a DA or PC or rotary it is important to determine what one is trying to accomplish. For a beginner and any type of job other than applying a quickie top coat of wax (Removing oxidation or a cut and buff) a DA is much easier to use than an orbital and there is less chance of harming expensive glider parts. The best and longest lasting results on a finish coat of wax/sealer will always come from a rotary. The trick is to watch the RPM (about 2K is ideal here) and if you find it intimidating practice on the trailer first. Paint manufacturers are an excellent source for care products advise.
Old February 17th 13, 03:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Sunday, February 17, 2013 8:33:19 AM UTC-6, K wrote:
[...]

orbital over a DA or PC
Now why would I use a DA (District Attorney, right?) to polish my glider? What about PC, what the hell is that? We don't do Political Correctness here on RAS!
My vote goes to the OP (Orbital Polisher) from HF (Harbor Fritenight). I hate acronyms.

Waxing Poetic On Flying Jay Beckman Piloting 4 October 30th 06 05:17 PM
Polisher/buffer selection [email protected] Soaring 33 November 27th 05 02:15 PM
Polishing & Waxing Go Soaring 8 March 24th 05 02:15 PM
Waxing your trailer(New Thread) Pete Reinhart Soaring 2 March 19th 04 01:14 AM
Wing Waxing Marske Flying Wings Soaring 2 September 10th 03 02:59 AM