A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Buffer for Waxing & Polishing

Old February 16th 13, 04:57 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike the Strike
external usenet poster

Default Buffer for Waxing & Polishing

My old orbital buffer died, so I am throwing the question to US RAS members to suggest a replacement. I know they run the whole gamut from $29 to $999 - looking for a recommendation for a reliable and cost-effective unit.

Mike
Old February 16th 13, 06:02 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paul Cordell
external usenet poster

I get amazing results from the Porter - Cable Model 7424

I've owned the same one for almost 15 years and done many sailplanes, trailers and cars with it on a regular basis.
Old February 16th 13, 02:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
6PK
external usenet poster

On Friday, February 15, 2013 8:57:02 PM UTC-8, Mike the Strike wrote:
My old orbital buffer died, so I am throwing the question to US RAS members to suggest a replacement. I know they run the whole gamut from $29 to $999 - looking for a recommendation for a reliable and cost-effective unit.

Mike

$29 or less; Harbor Freight verity 10" works just fine.
You actually "can" do harm with the real fancy ones.
6PK
Old February 16th 13, 03:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tim Taylor
external usenet poster

I second Paul's recommendation on the Porter-Cable 6". Works well and is big enough for most projects but small enough to handle. Supported by the auto community so many choices on pads and bonnets.
Old February 16th 13, 08:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Boise Pilot
external usenet poster

On Saturday, February 16, 2013 8:27:36 AM UTC-7, Tim Taylor wrote:
I second Paul's recommendation on the Porter-Cable 6". Works well and is big enough for most projects but small enough to handle. Supported by the auto community so many choices on pads and bonnets.

Old February 16th 13, 08:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Boise Pilot
external usenet poster

On Saturday, February 16, 2013 1:36:51 PM UTC-7, Boise Pilot wrote:
On Saturday, February 16, 2013 8:27:36 AM UTC-7, Tim Taylor wrote:

Old February 17th 13, 01:27 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andrzej Kobus
external usenet poster

On Feb 16, 10:27*am, Tim Taylor wrote:
I second Paul's recommendation on the Porter-Cable 6". *Works well and is big enough for most projects but small enough to handle. *Supported by the auto community so many choices on pads and bonnets.

Third. I am using it on my cars and motor home and my glider.
Old February 17th 13, 02:09 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Joyce Acheson
external usenet poster

http://www.wingsandwheels.com/page44.htm

Get the BEST.
Old February 17th 13, 02:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
K
external usenet poster

On Saturday, February 16, 2013 7:09:04 PM UTC-7, Joyce Acheson wrote:
Get the BEST.

Joyce, Your kidding right? I think the last thing anyone needs is a dated overpriced machine with limited selection of heads and pads. Further, getting a 3000RPM single speed orbital with an oddly placed on/off switch anywhere near an expensive glider would not be my idea of fun (Might try it on a trailer though). I think before anyone goes recommending an orbital over a DA or PC or rotary it is important to determine what one is trying to accomplish. For a beginner and any type of job other than applying a quickie top coat of wax (Removing oxidation or a cut and buff) a DA is much easier to use than an orbital and there is less chance of harming expensive glider parts. The best and longest lasting results on a finish coat of wax/sealer will always come from a rotary. The trick is to watch the RPM (about 2K is ideal here) and if you find it intimidating practice on the trailer first. Paint manufacturers are an excellent source for care products advise.
Old February 17th 13, 03:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

On Sunday, February 17, 2013 8:33:19 AM UTC-6, K wrote:
On Saturday, February 16, 2013 7:09:04 PM UTC-7, Joyce Acheson wrote:

Get the BEST.

Joyce, Your kidding right? I think the last thing anyone needs is a dated overpriced machine with limited selection of heads and pads. Further, getting a 3000RPM single speed orbital with an oddly placed on/off switch anywhere near an expensive glider would not be my idea of fun (Might try it on a trailer though). I think before anyone goes recommending an orbital over a DA or PC or rotary it is important to determine what one is trying to accomplish. For a beginner and any type of job other than applying a quickie top coat of wax (Removing oxidation or a cut and buff) a DA is much easier to use than an orbital and there is less chance of harming expensive glider parts. The best and longest lasting results on a finish coat of wax/sealer will always come from a rotary. The trick is to watch the RPM (about 2K is ideal here) and if you find it intimidating practice on the trailer first. Paint manufacturers are an excellent source for care products advise.

orbital over a DA or PC
Now why would I use a DA (District Attorney, right?) to polish my glider? What about PC, what the hell is that? We don't do Political Correctness here on RAS!
My vote goes to the OP (Orbital Polisher) from HF (Harbor Fritenight). I hate acronyms.