GAWD!!

Old December 20th 06, 03:14 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
John[_8_]

Default GAWD!!

On Wed, 20 Dec 2006 06:28:01 +1100, "Conscious Pilate"
wrote:

The Kalitta Air jet took off from O'Hare International Airport in Chicago
late Wednesday. It later reported mechanical problems in one of Its engines,
a Federal Aviation Administration spokeswoman in Chicago said.
The Boeing 747 was able to fly, but was diverted as a safety precaution to
Detroit, where it landed without incident, FAA officials said. No one was
injured.
After the landing, airline personnel discovered the engine was completely
gone, FAA officials said.
Michigan authorities searched Thursday for the engine, which may have fallen
into Lake Michigan, the FAA said. The FAA will Investigate the incident, but
the results of an investigation could take weeks.

Looking at picture 20159, you will notice that #2 engine is off it's
axis - pointing inboard. Makes me think this is a possible mid-air as
I cannot conjure a scenario where the outboard (and more aft) engine
could do this. Especially considering that the photo (28297) of #1
pylon indicates an up, outboard and aft rotation of the separated
engine.

J. W. Alger
Old December 20th 06, 06:08 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Toolpusher

John wrote in
:

wrote:

[...]

I know what happened to that engine, I've seen that old Twilight Zone
episode with William Shatner....

Old December 20th 06, 06:37 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation

On Wed, 20 Dec 2006 06:08:16 GMT, Toolpusher wrote:

I know what happened to that engine, I've seen that old Twilight Zone
episode with William Shatner....

... or John Lithgow even :-)

Old December 20th 06, 10:35 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Alan Erskine

"Conscious Pilate" wrote in message
After the landing, airline personnel discovered the engine was completely
gone, FAA officials said.
Michigan authorities searched Thursday for the engine, which may have

fallen
into Lake Michigan, the FAA said. The FAA will Investigate the incident,

but
the results of an investigation could take weeks.

Now we know why four engines are better than two.

Bet that's coming out of someone's pay packet.

--
Alan Erskine

Old December 20th 06, 03:20 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Jules

Toolpusher wrote:

I know what happened to that engine, I've seen that old Twilight Zone
episode with William Shatner....

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Gremlin.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	47.5 KB
ID:	2507
Old December 20th 06, 03:20 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Jules

Toolpusher wrote:

I know what happened to that engine, I've seen that old Twilight Zone
episode with William Shatner....

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Gremlin.jpg
Views:	610
Size:	47.5 KB
ID:	2508
Old December 20th 06, 06:48 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
John Szalay

"Conscious Pilate" wrote in
:

The Kalitta Air jet took off from O'Hare International Airport in
Chicago late Wednesday. It later reported mechanical problems in one
of Its engines, a Federal Aviation Administration spokeswoman in
Chicago said. The Boeing 747 was able to fly, but was diverted as a
safety precaution to Detroit, where it landed without incident, FAA
officials said. No one was injured.
After the landing, airline personnel discovered the engine was
completely gone, FAA officials said.
Michigan authorities searched Thursday for the engine, which may have
fallen into Lake Michigan, the FAA said. The FAA will Investigate the
incident, but the results of an investigation could take weeks.

NTSB Identification: CHI05MA011
Nonscheduled 14 CFR Part 121: Air Carrier operation of Kalitta Air, LLC
Accident occurred Wednesday, October 20, 2004 in
Aircraft: Boeing 747-132, registration: N709CK
Injuries: 5 Uninjured.

This is preliminary information, subject to change, and may contain errors.
Any errors in this report will be corrected when the final report has been
completed.

On October 20, 2004, about 2029 central daylight time, a Boeing 747-132,
N709CK, operated by Kalitta Air, LLC, as flight 825, received substantial
damage following a separation and loss of the number one engine while
climbing through about 16,000 feet mean sea level over Lake Michigan. The
14 CFR Part 121 non-scheduled international cargo flight was operating on
an instrument rules flight plan. Night visual meteorological conditions
were reported at the time of the accident. The two pilots, one flight
engineer, and two flight mechanics were uninjured. The flight departed from
Chicago O'Hare International Airport, Chicago, Illinois, at 2010, and was
en route to John F. Kennedy International Airport, New York, New York, when
it diverted to Detroit Metropolitan Wayne County Airport (DTW), Detroit,
Michigan, where it landed without further incident.

The flight crew did not report any abnormal conditions prior to the engine
separation. Following the engine separation, the flight crew diverted to
DTW where a landing was accomplished with normal operation of the leading
edge devices and trailing edge flaps.

On-scene inspection of the airplane revealed engine separation at the
forward engine mount bulkhead and at the aft engine mount. The aft engine
mount was intact with a section of the engine turbine exhaust case still
attached. The pylon remained attached to the wing, and the pylon alignment
marks were in alignment. The area around the forward engine mount bulkhead
was deformed in the outboard and upward direction.

Radar data estimates indicate that the engine is in an area of Lake
Michigan that is approximately 240 feet deep.

http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/brief.asp?e...28X01714&key=1