Aviation: A&P Mechanic

Old December 24th 04, 01:42 AM
Michelle P

Denny,
Maybe a school you went to or know was a scam. The one I went two was
not. Lots of hands on and good instructors who worked the industry. I
learned a lot just chatting with them after class. You get out of it
what you put into it.

Michelle (A&P, CanadaAir Regional Jet Airworthiness Release
Authorization (ARA), Required Inspection Item Authorization (RII),
Run/Taxi, Jetstream 4100 Run/Taxi, Maintenance Instructor) Independence Air

Denny wrote:

Of all the people who have earned their A&P license, something like
25% have never exercised the privileges of the certificate. That should
tell you something. I know several people who graduated approved
programs and never got the license. A&P schools are a scam because the
only thing you learn is to pass the test-if you are lucky. I think the
_only_ way to get the license should be the experience route (but
homebuilding and restoring should count.)

Old December 24th 04, 10:36 AM
nuke

I would like for their to be a category for owner maintenance in the USA,
either like Canada has or an alternative where an owner, who's been through
training in the relevant arts and passed an examination, can maintain his
*own*, not for hire, single piston engine airplane, non-pressurised, 6 or fewer
seats.

There are people like me, who can handle it, and do work at least as good as
what I've been finding done to my plane over the years by licensed mechanics. I
dare say, better, since my ass is the one in the air.

--
Dr. Nuketopia
Sorry, no e-Mail.
Old January 8th 05, 11:34 PM
disgusted

disgusted wrote in
:

Hi, I'm a recent gradute of an A&P school, looking for a career in
aircraft. I'm not into GA but, willing to if something is in the S.E.
area of the U.S. Prefer commercial or military manufacturing.

Interesting follow ups to what I posted. The "disgusting" was just b.s.
stuff. I know all this can be debated on and on, just the answer to my post
will do. I know these politics are never ending, personally I could give a
damn less! All I want is a job as an honest mechanic, a home and live long
enough to enjoy S.S. (if it exists then) So, in a nut shell: a recent
graduate wanting an entry level position in the S.E.
I also tried Greensboro, and found those people a little snooty.
Maintainence can be a true course for a good person but: 1. Takes too many
years for a good reputation to form. 2. Ya better have your act really
together or possibly down the road, find yourself involved somehow with a
lawsuit case. (ain't life a bitch)
Still waiting on an answer from Gulfstream.Thanks folks for the
(positive) input and will check now and then.
Old January 9th 05, 12:47 AM
Jon A.

On Sat, 08 Jan 2005 23:34:20 GMT, disgusted wrote:

disgusted wrote in
8:

Hi, I'm a recent gradute of an A&P school, looking for a career in
aircraft. I'm not into GA but, willing to if something is in the S.E.
area of the U.S. Prefer commercial or military manufacturing.

Interesting follow ups to what I posted. The "disgusting" was just b.s.
stuff. I know all this can be debated on and on, just the answer to my post
will do. I know these politics are never ending, personally I could give a
damn less! All I want is a job as an honest mechanic, a home and live long
enough to enjoy S.S. (if it exists then) So, in a nut shell: a recent
graduate wanting an entry level position in the S.E.

Politics are what makes the world go around, so learn how to play, no
excuses, Sonny. Don't count on SS being around when you're ready.
Unfortunately, the citizens of Dumbf**kistan elected someone that
wants to screw with it so that his buds can become fatter.

I also tried Greensboro, and found those people a little snooty.

Snooty? Sounds like you're a person that is from this latest
generation. Demands instant gratification for their work, not willing
to pay the dues necessary and thinks they have it all wrapped up.
Hell, why not just seek a job as a VP of maintenance. That way you
can set policy that everyone must kiss your ass and like it.
Understand that people are all different and not everyone is going to
be willing to even speak to you, no less stroke you like mommy did.
Face the facts boy, your first job will be sweeping the floor.

Maintainence can be a true course for a good person but: 1. Takes too many
years for a good reputation to form. 2. Ya better have your act really
together or possibly down the road, find yourself involved somehow with a
lawsuit case. (ain't life a bitch)
Still waiting on an answer from Gulfstream.Thanks folks for the
(positive) input and will check now and then.

Have you told them who you are? I think not, otherwise they would
have sent Ed McMahon and a couple of Playmates with a signing bonus
check to your door. Jeez, get with it!
Old January 9th 05, 02:57 AM
eat it

Jon A. wrote in
:

On Sat, 08 Jan 2005 23:34:20 GMT, disgusted wrote:

disgusted wrote in
. 18:

[...]

What a bunch of jackass's! Ya must be the same people who brown nose,
huh. Or better yet, ya work for Northwest and or afraid someone who
knows their stuff will replace your fat asses. Don't respond, your not
worth it.
Old January 9th 05, 01:50 PM
Jon A.

On Sun, 09 Jan 2005 02:57:05 GMT, eat it wrote:

Jon A. wrote in
:

On Sat, 08 Jan 2005 23:34:20 GMT, disgusted wrote:

What a bunch of jackass's! Ya must be the same people who brown nose,
huh. Or better yet, ya work for Northwest and or afraid someone who
knows their stuff will replace your fat asses. Don't respond, your not
worth it.

Don't respond? Damn, I was going to correct the spelling on your
submission. I guess since you're a newly graduated English major from
a big University looking to head the literature department of the Air
Force Academy, you could handle it yourself.

Old January 10th 05, 12:39 AM
JDupre5762

Don't count on SS being around when you're ready.
Unfortunately, the citizens of Dumbf**kistan elected someone that
wants to screw with it so that his buds can become fatter.

Hardly. The dirty little secret of Social Security for A&P Mechanics, Pilots
or anyone else is that it cannot survive in its present form.

First it is not an account into which you and your employer pay money for you
to withdraw when you retire. The system works by having current workers pay
for those currently retired. The baby boom generation is fast approaching
retirement. They did not have enough children to ensure that there would be
enough workers to pay for thier retirement. Twenty years ago there were
something like 15 workers paying for each retiree's s.s. benefits. Today there
are four. In a few years there will be two workers for every retiree. As
currently constituted some time in the future one worker will pay for multiple
retirees.

President Bush is the first leader in a long time to face facts with social
security. Raising the witholding taxes again will only be a bandaid and not a
long term solution.
Giving people a choice in how they spend thier hard earned money seems like the
way to go for me. I trust my judgement more than the governments.

John Dupre'
Old January 10th 05, 02:41 AM
Newps

Gene Kearns wrote:

Yada, yada. yada.... fine. Not a problem... Return the last 41 years
of investments in my name plus 12% interest and I'm outta here....

That's funny. That's exactly what people are proposing, gradually over
a very long term. And what you paid in to SS is no different than any
other tax. There's no pot with your name on it. Your money was spent a
long tme ago. And what's this about 12%?

BS. The fact is that the SS fund has been raided by the party in
control since it's inception.

It's not relavant if the fund was raided or not, all the money that
should be there is taken into consideration. The simple fact is the
baby boomers are starting to retire and this ponzi scheme is being
revealed for what it is. The SS money today returns exactly zero. You
let me simply put it in the bank and I am miles ahead.

WHAT? Tell me, again, WHO, is making the judgment? YOU?

Yes, what's so hard to understand about that?

What if the person(s) make(s) a poor
investment? What if they are a(re) victim(s) of economic reality such
as the dot.bombs of the 1990s? Shall we just let them starve (as they
surely deserve to do, having made a wrong choice) or can we assume
they will be bailed out by a "faith based initiative"?

Oh the sky is falling...blah blah blah. The choices for investment
would be the same as all Federal workers have right now for their 401K.
There are three stock funds, all of which are index funds. One bond
fund, also an index fund and one government securities fund. These are
securities sold only to this fund and they always return 3-4% above
inflation. So there's no chance of people getting sucked into the dot
com boom/bust. If you simply put your money into the government
securities fund you would be far ahead of the guy who has a regular SS
account. Put it all in the S&P 500 fund and you will return, on
average, 11% per year.
Old January 10th 05, 03:08 AM
Jon A.

On Sun, 09 Jan 2005 19:41:52 -0700, Newps wrote:

Gene Kearns wrote:

Yada, yada. yada.... fine. Not a problem... Return the last 41 years
of investments in my name plus 12% interest and I'm outta here....

That's funny. That's exactly what people are proposing, gradually over
a very long term. And what you paid in to SS is no different than any
other tax. There's no pot with your name on it. Your money was spent a
long tme ago. And what's this about 12%?

Oh, so the money you invest is put into a pot for you? Something
about SS guaranteeing any return is the key.

BS. The fact is that the SS fund has been raided by the party in
control since it's inception.

It's not relavant if the fund was raided or not, all the money that
should be there is taken into consideration. The simple fact is the
baby boomers are starting to retire and this ponzi scheme is being
revealed for what it is. The SS money today returns exactly zero. You
let me simply put it in the bank and I am miles ahead.

Ponzi scheme to those who can benefit from its unraveling so that
people with the intelligence to elect the current president can think
they'll be rich if they go at it all alone, Godsend to millions upon
millions who (lets face it) don't have the education or spare change
to sock it away.

WHAT? Tell me, again, WHO, is making the judgment? YOU?

Yes, what's so hard to understand about that?

Not a problem. If one opts to not participate, they should never be
able to reap any of the benefits.

[...]

I guess that doesn't happen in your world, Nirvana. Wow, I just can't
understand why all the fuss about the crash of a few years back when I
lost about 1/4 million. What the hell was all the ENRON stuff, b.s.?
But you know what, I did it and I took it on the chin. My SS will
provide me with some dog food money if I lose the rest of it. Problem
is that no one trusts big corps any more with t heir money. The
people need a safety net, as little as it may seem to you.
Old January 10th 05, 05:47 AM
Bob Noel

In article ,
Gene Kearns wrote:

Yada, yada. yada.... fine. Not a problem... Return the last 41 years
of investments in my name plus 12% interest and I'm outta here....

since none of it was actually invested, the amount you'll get
is exactly $0.

bye. ;-)

--
Bob Noel