[Rant Warning] Tailwheel Training

Old May 16th 04, 02:11 AM
EDR

Default [Rant Warning] Tailwheel Training

I just came from my flying club's office where I scheduled a plane for
tomorrow (Sunday).
Both of the club's 182 are down for inspections and maintenance after
hard landings. Two weeks ago, the club's Katana went down for the same
reason. Three airplanes in two weeks!!!
What are flight instructors allowing to pass for landings before
signing students off for solo and PPL's for checkouts!!!
If they are not holding the nosewheel off, they are going to break it
off or bend the firewall!!!
This is where tailwheel training comes in.
It's about time the Feds require that all students must spend the first
20 hours of their training in taildraggers. It's the only way they are
going to learn propper control input on landings.
Old May 16th 04, 02:27 AM
G.R. Patterson III

EDR wrote:

It's about time the Feds require that all students must spend the first
20 hours of their training in taildraggers. It's the only way they are
going to learn propper control input on landings.

You can't seriously believe that doing this is going to *reduce* the amount of time
trainers spend in the maintenance shop.

George Patterson
I childproofed my house, but they *still* get in.
Old May 16th 04, 02:30 AM
HECTOP

"G.R. Patterson III" wrote in message
You can't seriously believe that doing this is going to *reduce* the
amount of time
trainers spend in the maintenance shop.

yup, rudder control learnt in a Cub will do no good to anyone who pulls the
throttle on a 182 over the numbers

HECTOP
PP-ASEL-IA
http://www.maxho.com
maxho_at_maxho.com

Old May 16th 04, 03:31 AM
EDR

In article , G.R. Patterson III
wrote:

EDR wrote:

It's about time the Feds require that all students must spend the first
20 hours of their training in taildraggers. It's the only way they are
going to learn propper control input on landings.

You can't seriously believe that doing this is going to *reduce* the amount
of time
trainers spend in the maintenance shop.

No, I want to weed out the lame instructors!!!
Old May 16th 04, 04:34 AM
zatatime

On Sun, 16 May 2004 01:11:51 GMT, EDR wrote:

I just came from my flying club's office where I scheduled a plane for
tomorrow (Sunday).
Both of the club's 182 are down for inspections and maintenance after
hard landings. Two weeks ago, the club's Katana went down for the same
reason. Three airplanes in two weeks!!!
What are flight instructors allowing to pass for landings before
signing students off for solo and PPL's for checkouts!!!
If they are not holding the nosewheel off, they are going to break it
off or bend the firewall!!!
This is where tailwheel training comes in.
It's about time the Feds require that all students must spend the first
20 hours of their training in taildraggers. It's the only way they are
going to learn propper control input on landings.

I'm sure I'll be in the minority here, but I tend to agee with you. I
worked at an airport that used a Cub as the Primary trainer until
solo. Then the students switched to a 172 for ticket completion (but
could solo the Cub if they wanted). Average was abou 10-12 hours in
the Cub. I have to say some of the best low time Private pilot's I've
known were products of that methodology.

Basics are the best foundation, and an under powered tailwheel
airplane without alot of radios sure does teach the basics of Flight!

(Just so you don't think I'm blowing my own horn, I didn't do much
instruction at that time, I mostly watched how the students
progressed.)
Old May 16th 04, 06:06 AM
Dale

In article ,
EDR wrote:

I just came from my flying club's office where I scheduled a plane for
tomorrow (Sunday).
Both of the club's 182 are down for inspections and maintenance after
hard landings. Two weeks ago, the club's Katana went down for the same
reason. Three airplanes in two weeks!!!
What are flight instructors allowing to pass for landings before
signing students off for solo and PPL's for checkouts!!!
If they are not holding the nosewheel off, they are going to break it
off or bend the firewall!!!
This is where tailwheel training comes in.
It's about time the Feds require that all students must spend the first
20 hours of their training in taildraggers. It's the only way they are
going to learn propper control input on landings.

Oh horse ****!!! I have very little tail-wheel time but you can bet
your butt I know how to apply the proper control inputs...and I knew how
long before flying a tail-dragger!!

What a bunch of crap.

--
Dale L. Falk

There is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing
as simply messing around with airplanes.

http://home.gci.net/~sncdfalk/flying.html
Old May 16th 04, 10:10 AM
tony

[...]

You may want to look at whoever signs off renters at your club. Sounds like he
or she has a special skill in selecting people,huh? I don't think the renters
all 747 pilots in real life, trying to touch down when their butss are 40 feet
from the runway.
Old May 16th 04, 11:45 AM
Cub Driver

I'm sure I'll be in the minority here, but I tend to agee with you. I
worked at an airport that used a Cub as the Primary trainer until
solo. Then the students switched to a 172 for ticket completion (but
could solo the Cub if they wanted). Average was abou 10-12 hours in
the Cub. I have to say some of the best low time Private pilot's I've
known were products of that methodology.

Hampton NH 7B3 still follows this procedure. I suppose that if a
student insisted, he could start out in a Cessna, but of all the
T-shirts I've seen posted over the pasted six years, none has boasted
about soloing in a 172.

all the best -- Dan Ford
email: (put Cubdriver in subject line)

The Warbird's Forum
www.warbirdforum.com
The Piper Cub Forum www.pipercubforum.com
Viva Bush! blog www.vivabush.org
Old May 16th 04, 04:22 PM
C J Campbell

So, your club is having a problem with hard landings, and you have
nonsensical solution that you want to apply to everybody else in the whole
world?

Tell me, if somebody in your club cuts their finger, do you think everybody
else should wear a Band-Aid (tm)?

Old May 16th 04, 05:35 PM
Tom Sixkiller

"C J Campbell" wrote in message
So, your club is having a problem with hard landings, and you have
nonsensical solution that you want to apply to everybody else in the whole
world?

Tell me, if somebody in your club cuts their finger, do you think

everybody
else should wear a Band-Aid (tm)?

Now you know why our traffic laws were written for the "lowest denominator"
drivers. :~(