Parowan report from a newbie

Old July 13th 08, 03:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tuno

Default Parowan report from a newbie

Jeff Smith "PT" of the Tuscon Soaring Club has a nice report about his
first contest experience, at Parowan. He allowed me to post it in the
ASA forum.

Thanks Jeff! Hope to see you at PR9 again next year.

http://tinyurl.com/5o9uvf
Old July 14th 08, 11:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charlie \Lite\

On Jul 13, 7:49*am, Tuno wrote:
Jeff Smith "PT" of the Tuscon Soaring Club has a nice report about his
first contest experience, at Parowan. He allowed me to post it in the
ASA forum.

Thanks Jeff! Hope to see you at PR9 again next year.

http://tinyurl.com/5o9uvf

Some questions have arisen about the AFA's participation in Region
Nine. Here's what I know.

By action of the Board at the last meeting the AFA is considered to be
in Region Nine.

All cadets are SSA members.

All cadets met all the requirements to enter the regional, including
seeding and paying sanction fees.

All of the cadets flying in the contest were CFIGs

Ken Sorenson and Uncle Hank had a meeting at the last convention with
the officer in charge and helped change the cadets cross country
training so they could meet all our requirements for entry.

No one was denied a position in Parawon. By the time the contest
rolled around, everyone on the waiting list got into the contest.

No one except that AF guy, who is new, have ever said anything about
leadership training being the major reason for the cadets
participation in Regional contests although I'm sure it's part of
their agenda.

The non-participation on Friday had nothing to do with anyone being
punished for some transgression. I was notified ahead of time they
would not be flying the task that day. They should not have been
scored that day at all and we are researching whether we can now
change the the scores.

Any pilot can chose not to compete on a certain contest day . I've
known some of you to do the same thing.

I must agree that it can be difficult at times to deal with some of
the AFA procedures and the changing of officers in charge. However,
these are the folks who, when they get done defending our country( and
hopefully survive), will be in a position to race and purchase gliders
in the future. Charlie Spratt and I have worked long and hard since
1991 to integrate the cadets into our competitions. It seems like a
good way to grow our membership. That will continue to be my position
in the future and they will be welcome in future contests at Parowan.

Charlie "Lite"

Newbie VOR question Bruce W.1 Piloting 15 April 7th 05 05:15 PM
More newbie Qs Ramapriya Piloting 38 January 1st 05 04:24 PM
Newbie John Piloting 8 February 28th 04 04:31 PM
Newbie with questions... Mike \(Remove X's to reply\) Piloting 10 February 14th 04 01:16 AM
Microlight Newbie dssdsd Owning 1 November 17th 03 09:01 PM