Piper Cub Vs F-15

Old July 1st 04, 10:30 AM
Cub Driver

On Wed, 30 Jun 2004 09:49:39 -0700, "Darrell" wrote:

No single engine privileges
because I wasn't current in any single engine aircraft.

Seems to me the lesser airplane ought to be included in the greater,
just as the "lesser included offense" bit the sergeant who was found
innocent of rape, guilty of adultery.

all the best -- Dan Ford
email: (put Cubdriver in subject line)

The Warbird's Forum
www.warbirdforum.com
The Piper Cub Forum www.pipercubforum.com
Viva Bush! weblog www.vivabush.org
Old June 29th 04, 08:21 PM
John R Weiss

"Steven P. McNicoll" wrote...

Actually, I think you'll find a Piper Cub is always a J-3.

According to http://www.pipercubforum.com/whats.htm, a "Piper Cub" could be
a J-2, J-3, J-4, J-5, or PA-11. Closely related to the Cub are the PA-12,
PA-14, and PA-18.

Old June 30th 04, 04:22 AM
Steven P. McNicoll

"John R Weiss" wrote in message

According to http://www.pipercubforum.com/whats.htm, a "Piper Cub"
could be a J-2, J-3, J-4, J-5, or PA-11. Closely related to the Cub are
the PA-12, PA-14, and PA-18.

A few J-2s were built by Piper, the majority were built by Taylor. The J-4
was called the "Cub Coupe", the J-5 was called the "Cub Cruiser", the PA-11
was called the "Cub Special", the PA-12 was called the "Super Cruiser", the
PA-14 was called the "Family Cruiser", and the PA-18 was called the "Super
Cub".

Old June 30th 04, 06:40 AM
Bill Shatzer

"Steven P. McNicoll" ) writes:
"Ed Rasimus" wrote in message

First, lets note that a Piper Cub (usually a J-3) is one thing and a
Cessna 172 is another.

Actually, I think you'll find a Piper Cub is always a J-3.

Wasn't there a J-5 version as well?

--

"Cave ab homine unius libri"
Old June 30th 04, 10:54 AM
Steven P. McNicoll

"Bill Shatzer" wrote in message

Wasn't there a J-5 version as well?

The J-5 was the "Cub Cruiser".

Old June 30th 04, 10:28 AM
Cub Driver

On Tue, 29 Jun 2004 10:19:45 -0600, Ed Rasimus
wrote:

The J-3 would be cruising at 65-75 MPH

In my case, 60 knots on the nose. Makes the chart work a breeze

(The wind tends to spoil things, however. I never know how much until
I put a GPS on the front seat-back.)

Old June 30th 04, 03:27 PM
Ed Rasimus

wrote:

The J-3 would be cruising at 65-75 MPH

In my case, 60 knots on the nose. Makes the chart work a breeze

(The wind tends to spoil things, however. I never know how much until
I put a GPS on the front seat-back.)

How gauche. Next you'll be putting a chrome wire through the fuel cap
instead of an old coat hangar. What then, a fiberglass float instead
of a doped cork?

Ed Rasimus
Fighter Pilot (USAF-Ret)
"When Thunder Rolled"
Smithsonian Institution Press
ISBN #1-58834-103-8
Old June 30th 04, 04:18 PM
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

Ed Rasimus wrote:
How gauche. Next you'll be putting a chrome wire through the fuel cap
instead of an old coat hangar. What then, a fiberglass float instead
of a doped cork?

People put dope on the cork?

--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

http://www.mortimerschnerd.com

Old June 30th 04, 04:45 PM
Ed Rasimus

On Wed, 30 Jun 2004 11:18:16 -0400, "Mortimer Schnerd, RN"
wrote:

Ed Rasimus wrote:
How gauche. Next you'll be putting a chrome wire through the fuel cap
instead of an old coat hangar. What then, a fiberglass float instead
of a doped cork?

People put dope on the cork?

Migod, I found out they cover the whole airplane with it!

I was a dope user long before it became fashionable--used to build
model airplanes in my basement. Red was my favorite color, but yellow
was nice too. The two major olfactory memories of my mispent youth
were airplane dope and the distinctive odor of castor oil laced model
airplane fuel.

Ohh, and my Italian aunt's "bana calda".

Old July 1st 04, 10:31 AM
Cub Driver

On Wed, 30 Jun 2004 11:18:16 -0400, "Mortimer Schnerd, RN"
wrote:

People put dope on the cork?

Keeps them from getting gas-logged. Or water-logged. Or sumpin.

I pay no attention to the float, since you can't rely on it in flight.
After two hours, I look for a place to refuel.