Prescription Lenses (sorta OT)

Old December 28th 04, 01:45 AM
G.R. Patterson III

RST Engineering wrote:

As you can imagine, after 30 years of fighting it out with the toothpaste
and razor, tumbling about as the airplane moves smartly through turbulence,
those glasses are scratched and pretty snotty looking.

If the lenses are plastic, the scratches can be polished out by any optical
house. Cheaper than new lenses.

George Patterson
The desire for safety stands against every great and noble enterprise.
Old December 28th 04, 02:58 AM
RobertR237

My medical requires me to wear lenses which correct for distant vision.
There, that makes this post on-topic.

I've been wearing contacts for over 30 years, same prescription every time,
hasn't changed in all that time. I also carry a set of regular glasses in
my ditty bag on the off chance some day I'll tear a lens while on the road
and have to use the glasses.

As you can imagine, after 30 years of fighting it out with the toothpaste
and razor, tumbling about as the airplane moves smartly through turbulence,
those glasses are scratched and pretty snotty looking.

I still have the original prescription for those backup glasses from 30
years ago, and the glasses still give me better than 20/20, but I don't see
paying my eye doctor's Hawaiian vacation this year with the ridiculous price
for what in essence is about a dollar's worth of plastic. I don't mind
seeing him once every other year and getting all the tests for corneal
scratching, ulceration, and whatever that puff of air tests for.

I guess the short question is whether anybody has found an offshore eyeglass
supplier? I mean if I can buy v!@#r@ and c1@l!$ offshore without a
prescription, why can't I find an offshore supplier for a simple thing like
glasses -- simple myopia without any astigmatism?

Anybody?

Jim

Your glasses are your prescription, you don't need another one from the doctor
just get replacement lenses using the existing glasses. They can get the
prescription details from your current lenses.

Bob Reed

"Ladies and Gentlemen, take my advice,
(M.A.S.H. Sidney Freedman)

Old December 28th 04, 03:57 AM
Russ Haggerty

On Mon, 27 Dec 2004 10:25:00 -0800, "RST Engineering"
wrote:

[...]

Try this link....
http://www.19dollareyeglasses.com/
Old December 28th 04, 05:21 AM
Robert M. Gary

Ron Natalie wrote:
RST Engineering wrote:

I guess the short question is whether anybody has found an offshore

eyeglass
supplier? I mean if I can buy v!@#r@ and c1@l!$ offshore without a

prescription, why can't I find an offshore supplier for a simple

thing like
glasses -- simple myopia without any astigmatism?

You don't need to go off-shore, and you don't need to go to some
rip-off optician associated with your doctor. Plenty of cheap
glasses places including those in places like Sam's Club and
Costco.

But all of them require a *current* prescription. A contact
prescription is different (does not include the axis information). The
best thing to do is to ask for an updated prescription the next time
you have your contact prescription updated.
-Robert (wears contact and carries glasses)

Old December 28th 04, 11:08 AM
Cub Driver

On Mon, 27 Dec 2004 22:57:24 -0500, Russ Haggerty
wrote:

I still have the original prescription for those backup glasses from 30
years ago, and the glasses still give me better than 20/20, but I don't see
paying my eye doctor's Hawaiian vacation this year with the ridiculous price
for what in essence is about a dollar's worth of plastic. I don't mind
seeing him once every other year and getting all the tests for corneal
scratching, ulceration, and whatever that puff of air tests for.

These are your EYES! They are what you see the world through. Without
them you are in a black hole forever.

You can take the specs to Pearl or some other chain optometrists and
get new glasses for under a hundred bucks if the RX is as simple as
you say. Or hand them the RX. They won't force you to have an eye exam
if you don't want one. (Tell them your eye doc is in HI for a month

all the best -- Dan Ford
email: (put Cubdriver in subject line)

Warbird's Forum
www.warbirdforum.com
Piper Cub Forum www.pipercubforum.com
the blog www.danford.net
Old December 28th 04, 02:48 PM
Ron Natalie

Robert M. Gary wrote:

But all of them require a *current* prescription. A contact
prescription is different (does not include the axis information). The
best thing to do is to ask for an updated prescription the next time
you have your contact prescription updated.
-Robert (wears contact and carries glasses)

The eye doctor should have this. If they've examined you in the
last year you should be able to get a copy of the prescription.
Even if they didn't put the prismatic correction on the contacts.
Old December 30th 04, 08:15 PM
Stuart & Kathryn Fields

Has anyone here tried the "Eye Exercise" bit that was advertised on TV for
awhile? They seem to think they had a technique to eliminate or reduce the
need for glasses.
Stu Fields bi-focals and hating them.

Old December 31st 04, 10:03 PM
Dan Youngquist

On Thu, 30 Dec 2004, Stuart & Kathryn Fields wrote:

Has anyone here tried the "Eye Exercise" bit that was advertised on TV
for awhile? They seem to think they had a technique to eliminate or
reduce the need for glasses.

Haven't tried their program, but I've had noticeable results with some
basic eye exercises, as long as I remember to do them. The idea is to
exercise each eye to the limits of its focusing ability, and try to push
it a little beyond on both ends. I go back & forth between the near & far
limits a number of times with each eye.

-Dan