Survey: which business

Old May 27th 04, 02:54 AM
Smutny

On Tue, 25 May 2004 19:48:08 -0700, "Tom Sixkiller"
wrote:

snip

Well, I guess there's a first time for everything. :~)

Sounds, though, like you're trying to justify a decision you've already
made.

Dude, I haven't made any decision, I'm just keeping an open mind.
The RV series offers an incredible 'bang for the buck'.

If the IRS frowns on homebuilts, or if there is a production a/c with
similar performance at a similar value, I'd definately consider it for
this role. For both business and personal travel.

But I don't see a 200kt, IFR capable, 600# useful load, 800 mile range
a/c being produced for around $100,000. The Cirrus SR20 comes closest
at $200,000+.

-j-
Old May 27th 04, 02:32 PM
Nathan Young

On Tue, 25 May 2004 13:38:50 GMT, Smutny
wrote:

On Tue, 25 May 2004 06:14:55 -0700, "Tom Sixkiller"
wrote:

"Smutny" wrote in message
. ..

My current business has no need for travel other than annual
conventions. However, I'm looking at puchasing a company that writes
software for municipalities, so I see a definate possibility of using
a plane to visit cities around the state.

How about around the region?

Yes, there are some neighboring states that have a right structure
that make them possible customers. But I'd be speaking out of turn to
say that they're a definate market without more research.

One question I have that I don't recall ever seeing discussed here...

When you purchase a plane for business use, can it be a homebuilt?

It can be whatever you want, though the IRS might look askew at you when you
put stuff on your tax return.

I suppose the IRS has some documentation one what they want. Anyone
know the document numbers?

For instance, a RV-6/7 would be an ideal platform for buzzing around
the state visiting customers.

And limiting your business too much.

An RV has the performace to easily reach out to the region.

To get similar performance out of a
production airplane I'd be looking at well over twice the cost.

How's it's reliability? Are you willing to cancel appointments? Critical
ones, such as closure meetings?

Sounds like (I maybe wrong) you're fitting your business to match your
aircraft whims, rather than your aircraft SPECS to match your business
needs.

Not really. The business is established and ripe for expansion. Yes
I do have a real soft spot for the RV series. However; to get the
same speed and range, one would have to look at a SR20 or retract
single. Even an older 182RG costs (initial and maintenance) are well
above a RV.

As far as reliablity, spending the time to find a well built example,
and utilizing the expertise of a trusted builder to help with the
purchase, I have no doubt that reliability will meet or exceed a
production single.

I own a homebuilt now, and it is has be the most reliable airplane
I've ever flown.

I've never flown in an RV, so I have to ask this question: Do they
have sufficient baggage area to use effectively for business? Sure
most of us only require a suitcase, laptop, and projector these
days... I just imagine stuffing more than that in an RV would be
difficult.
Old May 27th 04, 02:37 PM
Nathan Young

wrote:

snip

Well, I guess there's a first time for everything. :~)

Sounds, though, like you're trying to justify a decision you've already
made.

Dude, I haven't made any decision, I'm just keeping an open mind.
The RV series offers an incredible 'bang for the buck'.

If the IRS frowns on homebuilts, or if there is a production a/c with
similar performance at a similar value, I'd definately consider it for
this role. For both business and personal travel.

But I don't see a 200kt, IFR capable, 600# useful load, 800 mile range
a/c being produced for around $100,000. The Cirrus SR20 comes closest
at $200,000+.

If the homebuilt path doesn't pan out, or if you would rather buy than
build, an older Mooney 201 will meet your price target, but fall a
small amount short on speed (the 201 is 201mph). A Mooney 231 meets
all of your requirements, but average cost is more like $125k...
There are 231s with runout engines for sale for $100k however.

-Nathan

Old May 27th 04, 10:34 PM
Bob Martin

I've never flown in an RV, so I have to ask this question: Do they
have sufficient baggage area to use effectively for business? Sure
most of us only require a suitcase, laptop, and projector these
days... I just imagine stuffing more than that in an RV would be
difficult.

The baggage area is a pretty good size; you could get more than that
inside it. Maybe two suitcases if they aren't too big, or definately
2-3 duffel bags, a tent, and your laptop. And if you don't have to
take a passenger along, you can remove the seat back and lay things
down in there too. Some guys have even made modifications to the aft
bulkhead (extending the baggage compartment some more) so they can
carry their golf clubs with them. But yes, the things you mentioned
above would fit comfortably, at least in a 6/7/9. The 10 has even
more room, being a 4-seater and all.

I know a guy that used to use his -6A for business; he was a state
representative and used it to fly from his home district to our
airport near the state capitol.

As far as costs, an RV-6/7 would run about 45-50k to build yourself.
Not sure what they go for completed. If you build it yourself, you
can do your own annuals, and I'm not sure how much of the maintenance
you can do if you aren't the "primary builder."
Old May 28th 04, 02:36 AM
Smutny

wrote:

[...]

I've thought of Mooney's and flown a friend's M20E. There are a
couple things about the Mooney that keeps it from the top of my list.

Too cramped for me and only one door top the list. At this stage I
also would like to stay away from retracts from the simple point of
more systems = more possible points of failure.

-j-

Old May 28th 04, 02:39 AM
Smutny

wrote:

"Smutny" wrote in message

[...]

That's one of the points that makes the RV-7 so attractive to me. The
RV-3 & -4 don't have much space, but those are older models. Even the
tandem -8 has two storage areas.

-j-
Old May 28th 04, 02:43 AM
Smutny

On 27 May 2004 14:34:34 -0700, (Bob Martin)
wrote:

[...]

Yeah, I've seen some RV-6's in the $50K-$60K neighborhood, but they
usually have O-320's and are VFR only. To get a well built RV with an
O-360 and IFR capability, you're looking at $100,000+.

As far as building vs. buying... It's 6 of one, half dozen of the
other. Either you spend more money with annuals or you spend more
time up front building. I'm more of a pilot than a builder, I'll buy
my time with paying more for a nice, ready to fly, airplane.

-j-
Old May 28th 04, 10:23 PM
Gene Seibel

Scott Benger wrote in message . ..
What kind of business are you in and how do you use your owned
airplane for business as a productivity tool (not just a tax
write-off)? There have been plenty of discussions on this group about
tax issues, but few on the use of an airplane to make a business more
successful.

Me? Unfortuanately my accounting work has no business need for an
airplane (yet?).

I work as a broadcast engineer. I often use my airplane for
transportation to sites around the country where I go to work on
transmitters. It's more convenient and often faster than commercial
flights with all their security, waiting and conncetions. There are no
hassles with tools, test equipment and parts that I may need to take
along. Makes me love my job.
--
Gene Seibel
http://pad39a.com/gene/broadcast.html