OSH ...aluminum needs polishing. HELP!!

Old May 9th 07, 04:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
john smith

Default OSH ...aluminum needs polishing. HELP!!

Bill Daniels wrote:
The following is from Bellcore. The first number is the solar energy
absorbed the second is the low temperature heat radiation. As you can see,
polished alumunum absorbs only slightly more than white paint but radiates
only 6% as much heat. In other words, although it absorbs little, it
radiates much less so it heats up more than any painted surface.

Polished Aluminum .15 .06

White .14 .97

Yellow .30 .95

Cream .25 .95

Light Grey, Green Blue .50 .87

Med. Grey, Green Blue .75 .95

Dark Grey, Green Blue .95 .95

Black .97 .96

Hmm?
You think this may be why so many airplanes are mostly white?
Old May 9th 07, 06:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Bill Daniels

"john smith" wrote in message
Bill Daniels wrote:
The following is from Bellcore. The first number is the solar energy
absorbed the second is the low temperature heat radiation. As you can
see, polished alumunum absorbs only slightly more than white paint but
radiates only 6% as much heat. In other words, although it absorbs
little, it radiates much less so it heats up more than any painted
surface.

Polished Aluminum .15 .06

White .14 .97

Yellow .30 .95

Cream .25 .95

Light Grey, Green Blue .50 .87

Med. Grey, Green Blue .75 .95

Dark Grey, Green Blue .95 .95

Black .97 .96

Hmm?
You think this may be why so many airplanes are mostly white?

It is absolutely why composite aircraft structures are white. My white
carbon/glass composite glider has a structure thermometer. The POH states
the maximun structure temperature at which a flight can begin.

The next time you have a chance to look at some old cars, compare the white
ones to, say, red ones. White paint seems to last forever. White paint
reduces air conditioning requirements and in turn increases gas milage.

Bill Daniels

Old May 9th 07, 11:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Graverobber[_2_]

http://www.napanet.net/~arbeau/swift/polish.htm

http://www.perfectpolish.com/

And, lots of elbow grease.

--
Rob Ball
B-25 Crewmember

"Montblack" wrote in message
http://www.ionaircraft.com/Toucan.jpg
The GREEN (aluminum) parts need polishing.

What's a good 1-2-3-4-5.... step process for polishing up the aluminum
wings - for OSH?

http://www.ionaircraft.com/engineering.html

This will be my first time doing this, so don't skimp on the details
please.

Thanks in advance.

Montblack
Double (TIA) if you swing by ANE and give me a hand. g

http://www.airnav.com/airport/ANE
(ANE) Anoka County-Blaine Airport, MN

http://skyvector.com/#20-117-3-1525-583
16NM (north) @ 12 o'clock on the MSP Sectional

Old May 13th 07, 06:21 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
SkyDaddy

My first warbird ride was a result of lending a hand polishing a
BT-13. If I were still close to ANE I'd be happy to drop by. :-D
Sadly, I'm nowhere near these days. The Blaine AvDays show is a good
time. Wear comfy walking shoes, though...

There's a cream called FLITZ imported from Germany. It's got
potassium in it. Apparently oxygen bonds with potassium better than
it does with aluminum (or nearly any other metal - FLITZ is a all-
purpose polisher). FLITZ steals the oxygen from the AlO and leaves a
black residue on top of the shiny, shiny bare aluminum.

To get the potassium oxide off, you sprinkle baking soda (buy several
BIG boxes at Sam's Club) generously over the surface. Then do the
"wax-on, wax-off" thing with many, many rags. (Baking soda is a very
mild abrasive as well as being absorbent.)

Result: screaming shoulders and bright shiny metal.

Old May 13th 07, 01:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Nathan Young

On Tue, 8 May 2007 18:53:17 -0600, "Bill Daniels"
bildan@comcast-dot-net wrote:

The following is from Bellcore. The first number is the solar energy
absorbed the second is the low temperature heat radiation.

Great post, thanks for the data !

-Nathan

Old May 16th 07, 10:17 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Jeff[_4_]

"Bill Daniels" bildan@comcast-dot-net wrote in
:

"john smith" wrote in message
Bill Daniels wrote:
[...]

But the red cars go faster. At least the police seem to think so.

Old May 16th 07, 02:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Rob Turk

"Jeff" wrote in message
.. .
"Bill Daniels" bildan@comcast-dot-net wrote in
:
You think this may be why so many airplanes are mostly white?

It is absolutely why composite aircraft structures are white. My
white carbon/glass composite glider has a structure thermometer. The
POH states the maximun structure temperature at which a flight can
begin.

The next time you have a chance to look at some old cars, compare the
white ones to, say, red ones. White paint seems to last forever.
White paint reduces air conditioning requirements and in turn
increases gas milage.

Bill Daniels

But the red cars go faster. At least the police seem to think so.

Oh darn... Does that mean I have to strip my plane and start all over?!?
;-) See: http://www.rtist.nl/Album/Pioniershal%202007/index.html

Rob

OSH ...aluminum needs polishing. HELP!! Montblack Piloting 5 May 9th 07 04:18 PM
OSH ...aluminum needs polishing. HELP!! Montblack Owning 5 May 9th 07 04:18 PM
aluminum rib, aluminum spar, holes drilled but screws broken off jls Home Built 13 January 3rd 07 08:06 AM
Polishing & Waxing Go Soaring 8 March 24th 05 02:15 PM
Polytone polishing Steve Beaver Home Built 5 September 13th 03 11:40 PM