USA Nationals Schedule for 2014 and 2015

Old March 28th 13, 11:02 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dave Nadler

Default USA Nationals Schedule for 2014 and 2015

So Andrzej, are you volunteering to organize and
lead any contests on the east coast ?
Or just complaining that other volunteers don't
suit your preferences ??
Old March 28th 13, 04:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Craig R.

So, this thread seems to remind us just how large our country is and the time commitment needed to participate in a national contest on the other side of the continent.
I'm sure this has been discussed before, but perhaps we should try again? We could have co-National contests each year in a couple of the more popular classes? How about Mifflin and Parowan each year for Sports? The same scenario for 15M/18M combined? By utilizing the most popular classes, it derives a better chance of filling the contest and making making instead of losing money for the contests organizers. US Team member selection could still work using this format and it would get a national contest within somewhat reasonable driving distance. Not a perfect solution by any means. Thoughts?
Old March 28th 13, 04:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Craig R.

So, this thread seems to remind us just how large our country is and the time commitment needed to participate in a national contest on the other side of the continent.
I'm sure this has been discussed before, but perhaps we should try again? We could have co-National contests each year in a couple of the more popular classes? How about Mifflin and Parowan each year for Sports? The same scenario for 15M/18M combined? By utilizing the most popular classes, it derives a better chance of filling the contest and making money instead of losing money for the contests organizers. US Team member selection could still work using this format and it would get a national contest within somewhat reasonable driving distance for many pilots. Not a perfect solution by any means. Thoughts?
Old March 28th 13, 06:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Thursday, March 28, 2013 12:27:05 PM UTC-4, Craig R. wrote:
So, this thread seems to remind us just how large our country is and the time commitment needed to participate in a national contest on the other side of the continent. I'm sure this has been discussed before, but perhaps we should try again? We could have co-National contests each year in a couple of the more popular classes? How about Mifflin and Parowan each year for Sports? The same scenario for 15M/18M combined? By utilizing the most popular classes, it derives a better chance of filling the contest and making money instead of losing money for the contests organizers. US Team member selection could still work using this format and it would get a national contest within somewhat reasonable driving distance for many pilots. Not a perfect solution by any means. Thoughts?

Sounds like a reasonable idea for participation as long as the winners are not declared National Champions. When 2 "winners" both get 100 ranking, who goes to the worlds?
Shields Up
UH
Old March 28th 13, 06:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Sean F (F2)

How about we solve that problem with live webcast "dance off?" Results will "of course" be derived via a lengthy pilots poll written carefully by the RC to allow several guided choices which they provide for us via their wisdom... ;-)
Old March 28th 13, 07:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Craig R.

I can think of several formulas to use to determine a class champ that would be fair and equitable. I am very sure that the RC could come up with significantly more than I can (and perhaps some options would be acceptable to even the sarcastic members of the soaring community)...
Another benefit would allow someone to compete twice in the same class (toss the worst contest score?) and it would allow the guys with convertible ships (15/18M) to fly in both (traveling would be required) ;-)
Old March 28th 13, 08:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Friday, March 22, 2013 11:09:49 AM UTC-4, Craig R. wrote:
Ok, just for a little balance and perspective here, there are no West coast nationals this year (2013). FL 13.5M SC 18M PN Sports NM 15M/Open TN STD And for those who say that Hobbs is West Coast, that is 1900 miles and 30 hours driving to get there for me. Hobbs, in my opinion, is mid-West.

If one looks at participation in terms of supporting contests in various areas of the country, we would have almost no contests out in the far west.
I looked at the last 6 years in Std, 15, 18, and Sports. Only 2 of the 5 contests has nore than 20 entries and 3 had less than a dozen. Rex and Noelle obviously do this for love.
Hobbs gets contests, even though their local infrastructure is thin, because they are enthusiastic enough to support racing and bid for contests.
With participation much more consistently solid in the east, with the exception of the very popular Parowan, it would seem that central and east are where to go for participation.
Craig- you are the exception. Most guys out west don't support nationals unless they are at Parowan or Minden. That only 3 far west sites even bid with any regularity is a shame.
Try Hobbs, I've been there a few times and it can be well worth the drive.
UH
Old March 29th 13, 02:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Craig R.

Try Hobbs, I've been there a few times and it can be well worth the drive.

UH

I'll give it a try. And thanks for your thoughts.

Craig