OSH ...aluminum needs polishing. HELP!!

Old May 8th 07, 08:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Montblack

Default OSH ...aluminum needs polishing. HELP!!

http://www.ionaircraft.com/Toucan.jpg
The GREEN (aluminum) parts need polishing.

What's a good 1-2-3-4-5.... step process for polishing up the aluminum
wings - for OSH?

http://www.ionaircraft.com/engineering.html

This will be my first time doing this, so don't skimp on the details please.

Thanks in advance.

Montblack
Double (TIA) if you swing by ANE and give me a hand. g

http://www.airnav.com/airport/ANE
(ANE) Anoka County-Blaine Airport, MN

http://skyvector.com/#20-117-3-1525-583
16NM (north) @ 12 o'clock on the MSP Sectional

Old May 8th 07, 08:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Bob Kuykendall

[off-topic]

What are the wings bonded with? Will they safely withstand the
internal temperatures they'll see in bare aluminum finish?

Thanks, Bob K.

Old May 8th 07, 09:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Montblack

("Bob Kuykendall" wrote)
What are the wings bonded with? Will they safely withstand the internal
temperatures they'll see in bare aluminum finish?

Don't have the details for you. I'll ask, and report back.

I'm heading over to ION World Headquarters now (which Steve calls the left
side of Al's hangar).

Montblack
I also need to head over to the airport and re-hang our "Blaine Aviation
Weekend (May 19 - 20)" sign. It didn't like the 50+mph winds that blew
through here the other evening.

Old May 8th 07, 09:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
RST Engineering

I guess my memory of thermodynamics isn't what it never was. Isn't a
perfectly reflecting surface much better than one that doesn't reflect the
energy? Like why snow doesn't melt very fast except when the bare ground
shows through and then all of a sudden the snow is gone.

Something about albedo, as I vaguely remember.

Jim

ups.com...

Old May 8th 07, 09:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Bob Kuykendall

Earlier, Jim Weir wrote:

...Isn't a perfectly reflecting surface much better than
one that doesn't reflect the energy?...

In theory, yes.

In practice bare aluminum, even highly polished bare aluminum, absorbs
enough energy in direct sunlight to threaten some materials used in
bonded aluminum.

Thanks, Bob K.

Old May 9th 07, 01:07 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Peter Dohm

"Bob Kuykendall" wrote in message
oups.com...
Earlier, Jim Weir wrote:

...Isn't a perfectly reflecting surface much better than
one that doesn't reflect the energy?...

In theory, yes.

In practice bare aluminum, even highly polished bare aluminum, absorbs
enough energy in direct sunlight to threaten some materials used in
bonded aluminum.

Thanks, Bob K.

Despite the obvious glare of visible light, polished aluminum absorbs far
mor solar energy than white.

Peter

Old May 9th 07, 01:19 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Wayne Paul

. ..

Earlier, Jim Weir wrote:

...Isn't a perfectly reflecting surface much better than
one that doesn't reflect the energy?...

In theory, yes.

In practice bare aluminum, even highly polished bare aluminum, absorbs
enough energy in direct sunlight to threaten some materials used in
bonded aluminum.

Thanks, Bob K.

Despite the obvious glare of visible light, polished aluminum absorbs far
mor solar energy than white.

This was discussed a while back. For details see
http://www.soaridaho.com/Schreder/Co...olor_Temp.html

Wayne
HP-14 "6F"
http://www.soaridaho.com/Schreder

Old May 9th 07, 01:22 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Rip

Montblack wrote:
http://www.ionaircraft.com/Toucan.jpg
The GREEN (aluminum) parts need polishing.

What's a good 1-2-3-4-5.... step process for polishing up the aluminum
wings - for OSH?

http://www.ionaircraft.com/engineering.html

This will be my first time doing this, so don't skimp on the details please.

Thanks in advance.

Montblack
Double (TIA) if you swing by ANE and give me a hand. g

http://www.airnav.com/airport/ANE
(ANE) Anoka County-Blaine Airport, MN

http://skyvector.com/#20-117-3-1525-583
16NM (north) @ 12 o'clock on the MSP Sectional

Go here. All you need to know:
http://vintageairstream.com/Myrtle/polish1.html
Old May 9th 07, 01:53 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Bill Daniels

"Wayne Paul" wrote in message

. ..

Earlier, Jim Weir wrote:

...Isn't a perfectly reflecting surface much better than
one that doesn't reflect the energy?...

In theory, yes.

In practice bare aluminum, even highly polished bare aluminum, absorbs
enough energy in direct sunlight to threaten some materials used in
bonded aluminum.

Thanks, Bob K.

Despite the obvious glare of visible light, polished aluminum absorbs far
mor solar energy than white.

This was discussed a while back. For details see
http://www.soaridaho.com/Schreder/Co...olor_Temp.html

Wayne
HP-14 "6F"
http://www.soaridaho.com/Schreder

The following is from Bellcore. The first number is the solar energy
absorbed the second is the low temperature heat radiation. As you can see,
polished alumunum absorbs only slightly more than white paint but radiates
only 6% as much heat. In other words, although it absorbs little, it
radiates much less so it heats up more than any painted surface.

Polished Aluminum .15 .06

White .14 .97

Yellow .30 .95

Cream .25 .95

Light Grey, Green Blue .50 .87

Med. Grey, Green Blue .75 .95

Dark Grey, Green Blue .95 .95

Black .97 .96

Bill Daniels

Old May 9th 07, 03:35 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Big John

Montblack

True story.

We had a Air Force General who wanted his personal aircraft to be
polished aluminum so got a crew and they took all the paint off and
polished bird up until it shined.

Really looked snazzy.

All the time bird was home in hanger there was a crew who polished it
every day to keep shiny.

After the General left the polish crew was pulled and in a short while
the aluminum corroded and bird had to be Class 26'd (junked).

So. If you want to keep polishing all the time then go ahead and
polish the alclad off and the bare aluminum will corrode away.

It's like a wooden boat where you have to keep working on the wood to
keep it afloat.

And the pointy end goes forward )

Big John
***********************************.

On Tue, 8 May 2007 14:22:08 -0500, "Montblack"
wrote:

http://www.ionaircraft.com/Toucan.jpg
The GREEN (aluminum) parts need polishing.

What's a good 1-2-3-4-5.... step process for polishing up the aluminum
wings - for OSH?

http://www.ionaircraft.com/engineering.html

This will be my first time doing this, so don't skimp on the details please.

Thanks in advance.

Montblack
Double (TIA) if you swing by ANE and give me a hand. g

http://www.airnav.com/airport/ANE
(ANE) Anoka County-Blaine Airport, MN

http://skyvector.com/#20-117-3-1525-583
16NM (north) @ 12 o'clock on the MSP Sectional

OSH ...aluminum needs polishing. HELP!! Montblack Piloting 5 May 9th 07 04:18 PM
OSH ...aluminum needs polishing. HELP!! Montblack Owning 5 May 9th 07 04:18 PM
aluminum rib, aluminum spar, holes drilled but screws broken off jls Home Built 13 January 3rd 07 08:06 AM
Polishing & Waxing Go Soaring 8 March 24th 05 02:15 PM
Polytone polishing Steve Beaver Home Built 5 September 13th 03 11:40 PM