C182 Stabilized Approach

Old December 16th 03, 02:56 AM
SAC

What works for me is to be around 13" by the time I'm mid-field
downwind and around 100 kts and slowing. Add the 1st notch abeam the
numbers and start slowing to 80-90 kts. Add 2nd notch on base
and be at 70 on final. I use the last not on final if needed, which I
usually do to perform a nice slow, short field landing at 60-65 kts.

I love seeing how well a 182 perform a short landing. Great plane.

"III" wrote in message
om...
I know this question pertains to aircraft and piloting in general, but
I'm wondering what C-182 pilots do.

I'm sold on the benefits of a stabilized approach.

I consider a stabilized approach to mean that power, flaps, and trim
are set right after turning final (assuming a standard pattern) and
then aren't adjusted until starting the roundout and flare. I like to
land with the flaps fully extended. If I turn final in a Skylane and
extend the flaps to 40 degrees, it takes a lot of power to make it to
the threshold (given a 1/2 mile final, which is not unheard of at our
busy airport), so a stabilized approach requires a lot of power to
drag the plane in.

I've taken to turning final with two notches of flaps out, leaving the
power at about 1700 RPM, and then adding more flaps as needed to
follow a path to the threshold and finally adding the remaining flaps
on very-short final. That's not a stabilized approach. It works, but I
know I could be doing better.

I could stabilize the approach using two notches of flaps, but I'd
rather use them all. I could use all the flaps on the entire trip down
final, but I'd rather not drag the plane along.

My CFI uses incremental flaps, my partner advises using two notches
and then maybe kicking them all in at the end (although I don't know
what he does when he's alone), and a more-experienced pilot friend
(but not in 182's) just commented that I should be flying a stabilized
approach.

So, what do other Skylane pilots do?

Thanks.

Old December 16th 03, 03:45 AM
EDR

In article 5vuDb.362220$Dw6.1192966@attbi_s02, SAC
wrote:

What works for me is to be around 13" by the time I'm mid-field
downwind and around 100 kts and slowing. Add the 1st notch abeam the
numbers and start slowing to 80-90 kts. Add 2nd notch on base
and be at 70 on final. I use the last not on final if needed, which I
usually do to perform a nice slow, short field landing at 60-65 kts.
I love seeing how well a 182 perform a short landing. Great plane.

70 is too fast on final. The calibrated full flap stall speed is 41
kts/ 49 kts indicated. Faster than 65 and you will float several
hundred feet in ground effect before touchdown. I shoot for 55-60
across the threshhold on roundout with full flaps. Hold full back yoke
when on the mains and ease on the brakes. Do not release back pressure
on the yoke. You will be stopped in 600 feet.
Old December 16th 03, 05:04 AM
Rick Durden

A stabilized approach is a turbojet operation, it does not necessarily
apply to small piston pounders. Going to full flaps early in the
approach is not a good idea, turning final with 20 degrees out and
then decelerating to final approach speed and extending the rest of
the flaps as you get in close (as you described) works much better.
There is no reason to be dragging a piston engine airplane in with
full flaps as you do not have the power response time issues that
turbojets do and which lead to the concept of the stabilized approach
for those airplanes.

All the best,
Rick

Old December 16th 03, 04:25 PM
Hankal

Here's a tip: Add just a teensy bit of power on the round out to help raise
that heavy 182 nose and you'll grease it on.

I fly a 172 with the Acvon conversion 180 hp and Horton Stohl kit.
I land with 1500 rpm always under 60 knots and my landings are smooth.
Hank N1441P

Old December 16th 03, 06:36 PM
MikeM

Magic Fingers wrote:
I am a CFII and I own a C-182Q (fixed gear). I teach, and fly, as follows:

Your formula is guaranteed to consume three to four times as much runway as the
182 needs. I'll bet you go through lots of tires and brake pads, too...

The whole "stabilized approach" concept is just a cookbook method which
"works" for inexperienced pilots. If its all you learn, you never come
to experience what a capable short-field aircraft the 182 is...

MikeM
Skylane '1MM

Old December 16th 03, 07:36 PM
cloudstormer

After dropping skydivers in FL100 I put the nose of our C182 down, keep the
speed sligthly over 160 kts. At left base I've slowed down to 100 knots. At
about 300 ft above ground I pull the nose up until the speed sinks to about
90 knots and I lower the flaps all the way down.
Then I land her on the very spot I want her to have, and it takes after
touchdown about 600 ft to take the first turn. Mind you, it's possible to
land at 45 kts, but without any crosswind.
They say a C206 flies even nicer....

Seriously (?), if you notice that your Cessna is sinking to fast with flaps
fully extended, why would you extend them to 40 degrees? 25 degrees would do
and if the speed or altitude is to high or to (s)low, you can do something
about it with. Use your manifold, your right hand should be at the black
handle all the time anyway.
So, at 300/500 ft (I think you'll be flying at that altitude at 0,5 mile
final) and a speed of 70 knots, I would keep the flaps at 25 degrees.
At very short final, keeping your eyes on the speed as well as on the rest,
you can extend the flaps to 40 degrees.

The best way to get the hang of it is to get in your C182 and practice touch
and go's up to the moment that someone will ask you to fly a righthand
circuit instead of a left.
But the most important thing is to enjoy yourself.