Garmin Rino

Old May 8th 04, 11:43 AM
Martin Gregorie

On Thu, 6 May 2004 16:49:51 -0700, "BTIZ"
wrote:

What kind of data do you wish to link to the ground?

--

Let's the CFIG know where his solo student is.

They may not be suitable for that. I don't own one but I did read the
spec on the Garmin website.

The "data" is limited to the ID and position of the transmitting Rino
and will be displayed on any receiving Rino within range. However, it
will only send the information when the appropriate button is pressed:
there is explicitly no facility for automatic position transmission:
IIRC the FCC made that a condition for licensing the device.

My guess is that most instructors would rather that their student flew
the glider rather than remembering to push the Rino's send button
every so often.

--
martin@ : Martin Gregorie
gregorie : Harlow, UK

Old May 9th 04, 03:59 AM
Martin Hellman

In my original post that started this thread, I talked about using the
Rino for "collision avoidance." Some private discussions have made me
realize I should have said "proximity warning". I wasn't suggesting
watching the Rino to tell when you were about to collide with the
other glider, but to tell you when to spend extra time LOOKING for
him.

Knowing when to spend extra time scanning -- with an extra shot of
adrenalin -- would probably have prevented the recent Washington
fatality. And reading the description by the surviving pilot, I can
see that I've been in similar situations several times. Flying with a
friend, we split up to try different areas of lift, can't see each
other, and aren't sure when we come back into danger range unless we
tie up 123.3 or 123.5 or some other frequency -- and even that isn't
possible sometimes due to others tying it up.

Martin
Old May 9th 04, 07:04 AM
Eric Greenwell

Martin Hellman wrote:

Knowing when to spend extra time scanning -- with an extra shot of
adrenalin -- would probably have prevented the recent Washington
fatality. And reading the description by the surviving pilot, I can
see that I've been in similar situations several times. Flying with a
friend, we split up to try different areas of lift, can't see each
other, and aren't sure when we come back into danger range unless we
tie up 123.3 or 123.5 or some other frequency -- and even that isn't
possible sometimes due to others tying it up.

I suggest you use the radio in this situation. You and your friend are
so close, he'll hear you, even if another glider a few miles away is
transmitting. Better some unintentional noise on the frequency than the
noise of a collision.

Eric Greenwell
Washington State
USA

Old May 9th 04, 08:15 PM
Snead1

The Rino transmits a position each time you transmit. If your unit is set up
to accept polls, you can poll your buddys unit without input from the other
unit. Polling is limited to one data position each 30 seconds. More data than
just the other units position comes with each data burst

Each unit will track up to 50 other units.

It is really quite sophisticated for $150.

I am interested in tracking (on the ground) several gliders racing around a lap
racing course.

Bill Snead
Georgetown Texas
Old May 11th 04, 03:33 AM
Snead1

The data burst can or does contain information such as Direction, Elevatiion,
Timestamp, Location and enter notes up to 30 characters.

When a Rino 110 is hooked to a PC the polled units track can be plotted on a
map.

Bill Snead
Old May 11th 04, 03:54 AM
Martin Hellman

Regarding Eric's comment below, if a glider pilot called on the radio
every time he lost sight of his flying buddy, he'd be drummed out of
the soaring community for over-use of the frequency -- especially in
areas like Minden where there are alot of other gliders. Even in less
crowded areas, if you're at high altitude, your radio signal will
interfere with other gliders over 100 miles away.

While we all agree that "Better some unintentional noise on the
frequency than the noise of a collision," the problem is that there
are literally thousands of times we lose sight of a buddy before a
collision occurs. I think that's what's so deadly about this
situation. It breeds a false sense of safety (aka complacency).

How many of us can truly say that he/she has called on the radio every
time they've lost sight of a friend -- especially when the last time
you saw him, he was half a mile away and headed away from you? But
that sounds like just what happened in Washington.

That's why I think we need to put some energy into several areas:

1. Getting more glider pilots to use the FRS or GMRS band for
air-to-air. Clearly useful for two or more flying buddies, but if
enough of us start to use it, we might be able to settle on a standard
"glider" or "aircraft" frequency, much as we now tryon 123.3 and 123.5
when we see another unknown glider.

2. Alternatively, getting more glider pilots to get their ham licenses
and use the 2 meter band for air-to-air communications. Opens up a lot
of frequencies and 2 meters is close enough to the aircraft band that
you can even use your COM antenna for the ham unit, with a relay to
switch between. (ICOM sells such a device.) Getting your license only
takes several hours of study of the Technician question pool,
accessible at

http://www.remote.arrl.org/arrlvec/pools.html

Make sure you use the current question pool, not an obsolete one or
one that is going into use a few months from now. (They change every
so often, maybe once every few years.) The times and locations for
taking ham exams is listed at

http://www.remote.arrl.org/arrlvec/examsearch.phtml

3. Getting flying buddies to use Rino's for proximity warning. Again,
if enough of us do that, we could settle on a standard frequency and
privacy code so we could pick each other up even when not known before
hand.

========

Old May 11th 04, 04:24 AM
Eric Greenwell

Martin Hellman wrote:

Regarding Eric's comment below, if a glider pilot called on the radio
every time he lost sight of his flying buddy, he'd be drummed out of
the soaring community for over-use of the frequency

I still say "do it". If you find yourself "doing it" often enough to be
drummed out of the soaring community, a better response might be to
change the way you fly together. Maybe that means flying farther apart
so the potential hazard is reduced, or maybe staying together, within
sight, instead of wandering apart.

-- especially in
areas like Minden where there are alot of other gliders. Even in less
crowded areas, if you're at high altitude, your radio signal will
interfere with other gliders over 100 miles away.

It might annoy, but it won't interfere that far away with their
"collision safety" transmissions to gliders that are nearby them. It
can, of course, interfere with their attempts to call distant gliders or
crew. They can mitigate the problem by fully squelching their radio, so
only closer radios are heard, and unsquelching to talk to distant radios
as needed.

I'm sure it's a much bigger problem in Minden than most places. The
preceding is suggested as a bridge during the transition to a better
solution, which might be the ham radios or Rhino units, as you mention
below.