GAMIjectors

Old September 9th 07, 01:22 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Matt Barrow[_4_]

Default GAMIjectors

"Newps" wrote in message
. ..

Matt Barrow wrote:

Kinda hard to have a wet top end in a Continental 520/550, isn't it?

uh, no.

Okay...so I'm misunderstanding a wet top end. Still, you inferred the
accusation that Newps was faking his compression levels, so put up or
shut up.

I'm assuming a wet top end is an engine tested that just got done flying.
My engine was cold, the mechanic towed it over to his side of the T hangar
building that morning so all cylinders were 60 degrees F

I "assume" a wet top end is done for a radial where the oil has flowed to
every part of the engine (NOTE: I'm woeful on mechanic-speak).

IAC, my take, FWIW, is a certain jealousy that your engine, after a few
hundred hours, was reading better than these other folks engines do when
damn near new.

That an engine can run LOP without blowing up, and running many hundreds of
hours that way, and still have good compression and oil analysis is likely
disheartening to many who have to abide by the "Old Fashioned" way of
things, particularly the folks who wouldn't DARE contravene the established
ways of old.

That infidels like you and me and many others have had good results is,
well...distasteful to them! :~)

Old September 9th 07, 01:24 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Matt Barrow[_4_]

"randall g" wrote in message
On Thu, 6 Sep 2007 15:11:55 -0500, "Dan Luke"
wrote:

Has anybody here put GAMIjectors on their LYC. TIO-540? If so, how did
you
like them?

I have them on my Lyc IO-360. I am currently on my fourth iteration.
Each time I did a lean test, it was not adequate, so I emailed the
results to GAMI who then sent one to three new injectors to try. My last
test resulted in three cylinders peaking close together with #2 off, so
that was just replaced. I haven't yet checked the lean test with my new
#2 but I really hope it does the trick. This has been a bit frustrating
and has taken almost a year.

Having said that I am happy with the service from GAMI, and I still
believe they are a good idea.

IIUC, you're going to have a harder go of it (getting it tuned just right)
with a small block engine as compared to a big block, like a 540/550.

#2 but I really hope it does the trick. This has been a bit frustrating
and has taken almost a year.

Ouch. I have 50% more cylinders, so it ought to take 18 mos. to get mine
right.

You're still young.

Sorta.

Old September 9th 07, 01:46 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Newps

Matt Barrow wrote:

IAC, my take, FWIW, is a certain jealousy that your engine, after a few
hundred hours, was reading better than these other folks engines do when
damn near new.

I would have expected nothing less, it's under warranty.

That an engine can run LOP without blowing up, and running many hundreds of
hours that way, and still have good compression and oil analysis is likely
disheartening to many who have to abide by the "Old Fashioned" way of
things, particularly the folks who wouldn't DARE contravene the established
ways of old.

Then they must drive old cars too.

Old September 9th 07, 04:40 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning

On Sep 8, 10:52 am, Newps wrote:
Matt Barrow wrote:

real simple with a wet top end and tight valves. a clapped-out R-985
will read 80/80 right up to the point when it reads 0/80 instead.

Kinda hard to have a wet top end in a Continental 520/550, isn't it?

uh, no.

Okay...so I'm misunderstanding a wet top end. Still, you inferred the
accusation that Newps was faking his compression levels, so put up or shut
up.

I'm assuming a wet top end is an engine tested that just got done
flying. My engine was cold, the mechanic towed it over to his side of
the T hangar building that morning so all cylinders were 60 degrees F

Some guys will squirt oil into the cylinders to make the rings
seal. It's not a realistic way of testing compression, but can serve
to separate leaking rings from a cracked piston, maybe. Auto mechanics
sometimes use the trick to determine whether the loss is past the
rings or one of the valves or maybe the head gasket. With aircraft
engines, the differential test allows the mechanic to listen to the
crankcase filler for leaking rings, the exhaust for bad exhaust
valves, and the intake for a leaking intake valve. Running soapy water
over the head will find cracks in it. Older Lycs had problems with the
head cracking between the bottom sparkplug hole and the exhaust valve
seat.
Testing the compression with the engine really hot determines
the actual operating condition. The clearances between the piston and
cylinder are at a minimum and the ring gaps are smaller. We always get
worse readings if we do them cold.

Dan

Old September 9th 07, 02:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Matt Barrow[_4_]

wrote in message
oups.com...
On Sep 8, 10:52 am, Newps wrote:
Matt Barrow wrote:

[...]

Thanks, Dan!

If Toecutter had been this through in his response, we might have precluded
that ****ing contest in the other, parallel thread.