Carying *stuff* as Sun n' Fun

Old March 17th 04, 01:35 AM
Roger Halstead

Default Carying *stuff* as Sun n' Fun

I've never had the opportunity to make Sun n' Fun yet. I was
one of the convention Chairmen at Oshkosh.. er... AirVenture for some
years in the Homebuilders area.

I always take my cameras. Between the cameras, lenses,
tripod, and other accessories it has always taken a backpack to get
the stuff around. 90% of the fun for me is shooting photos and then
being able to go over them later.

I see that they are banning backpacks at Sun n' Fun.
Any one have any good ideas on how to carry at least two cameras,
three lenses, tripod, film, batteries, memory for the digital, laptop,
and all the other accessories around in the heat without putting a
permanent kink in an already bad back? (which is why I use the back
pack instead of a camera bag)

Actually I have two 35s and two digitals with two having to stay some
where out of the heat. Carrying 4 at one time is a bit much although
they all use the same lenses so the extra two only add about two or
three pounds.

(N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
www.rogerhalstead.com
Old March 17th 04, 05:20 AM
Morgans

"Roger Halstead" wrote

I see that they are banning backpacks at Sun n' Fun.
Any one have any good ideas on how to carry at least two cameras,
three lenses, tripod, film, batteries, memory for the digital, laptop,
and all the other accessories around in the heat without putting a
permanent kink in an already bad back? (which is why I use the back
pack instead of a camera bag)

How about a little red wagon, only with camera bags in it, say, in milk
crates, so all is visable? You could have a stool or chair in it, and
water, too. Put a motion detector alarm, like travelers use at hotels, then
when you were nearby, but not paying great attention, it would let you know
if anyone was messing with it.
--
Jim in NC

---

Old March 17th 04, 06:35 AM
Jay Beckman

"Roger Halstead" wrote in message
[...]

Roger,

Two ways to go on this:

Purpose Built Version: Photographers Vest...
Holds all kinds of stuff and they also have many "bandelero-style" loops for
film cans. I've seen some that can accomodate glass up to about the size of
a 200 f2.8. If you use bigger glass, look for a case which will use a wide
strap (eg Optech) for comfort or leave it connected to a body and leave it
mounted to a monopod. It can be heavy but at least it will be relatively
well balanced. The two hip pockets are usually big enough to easilly fit a
body with a short wide-angle lens or at least a 50mm.

Adaptable Version: Hunting / Fishing Vest...
Instead of putting a dead duck in the pouch at your lower back, you can
carry a relatively large lens back there instead. Look for those models
which have open- mesh backs as they are much cooler in warm weather.

Just my $0.02 worth...

Jay Beckman
Student Pilot - KCHD
6.0 Hrs ... Nowhere to go but up!

Old March 17th 04, 09:05 PM
clare @ snyder.on .ca

On Wed, 17 Mar 2004 01:35:08 GMT, Roger Halstead
wrote:

[...]

I pulled a little express wagon around to carry my "stuff" last year.
A baby stroller would work too.
The wagon was my "stool" when my back got sore, my "truck" for hauling
my purchases out to the campground, as well as my "camarabag" and
"lunchbox"
Old March 18th 04, 12:26 AM
Andy Asberry

wrote:

[...]

I saw a fellow last year with a little cheapy, two-wheel dolly. He had
attached a box about 16" cube with a padded seat/lid. It had one
handle so he could pull rather than push it.

Old March 18th 04, 01:07 AM
clare @ snyder.on .ca

On Thu, 18 Mar 2004 00:37:52 GMT, "Blueskies" wrote:

I like that 'hand cart' idea. I have dragged around a wagon and it is not so easy...

The wagon needs an extended handle - mine is about 6 feet long.
Old March 18th 04, 01:37 AM
Roger Halstead

On Wed, 17 Mar 2004 00:20:08 -0500, "Morgans"
wrote:

"Roger Halstead" wrote

I see that they are banning backpacks at Sun n' Fun.
Any one have any good ideas on how to carry at least two cameras,
three lenses, tripod, film, batteries, memory for the digital, laptop,
and all the other accessories around in the heat without putting a
permanent kink in an already bad back? (which is why I use the back
pack instead of a camera bag)

How about a little red wagon, only with camera bags in it, say, in milk
crates, so all is visable? You could have a stool or chair in it, and
water, too. Put a motion detector alarm, like travelers use at hotels, then
when you were nearby, but not paying great attention, it would let you know
if anyone was messing with it.

I've actually seen that done. However they are a real hassle and not
at all popular with other sir show goers as the darn things keep
getting in the way. Also, you don't dare walk off and leave it when
you need to use the portable aromatic booths. Real pain in the food
line too.

Surprisingly they can put a lot of strain on your back as most people
tend to lean when pulling one even if it isn't heavy. Maybe they need
a 6 foot handle (tow bar) :-))

Old March 18th 04, 01:49 AM
Roger Halstead

On Tue, 16 Mar 2004 23:35:55 -0700, "Jay Beckman"
wrote:

"Roger Halstead" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

I've found the purpose built vests work well for a planned shoot. Two
camera bodies, a couple lenses, accessories and film. OTOH when you
go to an unplanned shoot such as Sun n' Fun where you have to be ready
for all kinds of shots and carry a wider variety of accessories the
darn things get bulky and very uncomfortable. One of the main
problems being you usually want at least one long lens of a relatively
fast speed (like the Nikon 80 to 400 F-2.8 VR) and a shorter and also
fast intermediate zoom. It's a big plus that the digital and the film
cameras use the same lenses.

It works well to set the digital with a short to intermediate focal
length zoom in the F-2.8 range, and the intermediate zoom on one of
the film cameras. I usually set up the heavier F4S with the lens as I
find that more convenient than putting the lens on the 8008S and the
F4S body in the jacket.

The problems with the jackets, as I said above, is they quickly become
uncomfortable and bulky with just a few cameras and lenses.

The back pack was ideal for the Back up and accessory stuff that you
didn't need right away. Film, cleaners, tripod strapped on the side,
big lens... All carried comfortably and easily set down. Actually the
back pack and pro vest worked very well with each other.

Adaptable Version: Hunting / Fishing Vest...
Instead of putting a dead duck in the pouch at your lower back, you can
carry a relatively large lens back there instead. Look for those models
which have open- mesh backs as they are much cooler in warm weather.

I'm not sure I'd want to show up at a modern day airport wearing a
shooting vest:-)) although I have a number of them.

Well, speaking of the back...
I've been working on the "Engine mount attach point reinforcements" on
the back side of the firewall. Two hours of those odd positions and
it takes two days to recover. Man, but some of those lay-ups are in
odd and difficult to reach areas.

Just my $0.02 worth...

Thanks,