Horsepower required for level flight question...

Old March 27th 04, 11:46 PM
Kevin Horton

On Sat, 27 Mar 2004 17:26:00 -0500, Bryan Martin wrote:

in article , Darrel Toepfer
at wrote on 3/27/04 1:49 PM:

BllFs6 wrote:

Am I right in the main disadvantage of a powered glider is long take
off rolls
and lack of fancy aerobatics? Other considerations I am missing?

4 to 6 seat capacity comes to my mind (needs/wants)...

How about 13?

http://www.wpafb.af.mil/museum/air_power/ap26.htm

Sure doesn't look like a powered glider to me.

If you are looking for a large capacity powered glider, the ME-323 is the
closest I can think of - accommodation for 120 passengers. But it would
never have shut down the engines and glided, so it doesn't really fit the
current understanding of those terms.

http://www.warbirdsresourcegroup.org/LRG/me323.html
http://www.flight-history.com/plane_stats/acModelView.php?makeId=40&makeName=Messerschmitt&m odelId=402

--
Kevin Horton RV-8 (finishing kit)
Ottawa, Canada

Old March 28th 04, 12:00 AM
Darrel Toepfer

Bryan Martin wrote:
Darrel Toepfer wrote:
BllFs6 wrote:

Am I right in the main disadvantage of a powered glider is long take off
rolls
and lack of fancy aerobatics? Other considerations I am missing?

4 to 6 seat capacity comes to my mind (needs/wants)...

How about 13?

http://www.wpafb.af.mil/museum/air_power/ap26.htm

Looks to be, where it belongs... Where's the motor? g We are
discussing motorgliders after all...

The germans put several (6 I believe) engines on their former glider, it
could carry a tank into battle. Had a row of like 9 retractable boogie
(sp?) wheels underneath it...
Old March 28th 04, 02:02 AM
Bill Daniels

4 to 6 seat capacity comes to my mind (needs/wants)...

Nuts to that. Tell them to get their own motorglider.

Bill Daniels
Old March 28th 04, 03:26 AM
Blueskies

"That's sure a short runway".
"Yeah, but look at how _wide_ that sucker is!"

Tim Ward

Exactly!

Old March 28th 04, 01:54 PM
Darrel Toepfer

Kevin Horton wrote:

Sure doesn't look like a powered glider to me.

If you are looking for a large capacity powered glider, the ME-323 is the
closest I can think of - accommodation for 120 passengers. But it would
never have shut down the engines and glided, so it doesn't really fit the
current understanding of those terms.

http://www.warbirdsresourcegroup.org/LRG/me323.html
http://www.flight-history.com/plane_stats/acModelView.php?makeId=40&makeName=Messerschmitt&m odelId=402

Thats the one I was thinking of, couldn't remember its name though.
Thanks... Before they put the engines on it, they used 3 twin engined
planes to tow that whale into the sky...

Even had rocket assisted takeoff modes:
http://www.warbirdsresourcegroup.org/LRG/me321.html

The tow plane:
http://www.warbirdsresourcegroup.org/LRG/me321.html
Old March 30th 04, 12:08 AM
Wright1902Glider

Actually, there are several powerplant/prop harness-units commercially
available for use with hang-gliders. While their use is still contraversial
(is it an ultralight or HG?) the USHGA has ruled to include them in our bylaws.
The condition is that the powerplant is intended for climbout only, with the
primary power coming from soaring thermals.

I've also seen several self-lanuching "motorgliders", two of wich were
performing aerobatics at airshows.

As for a canard glider, I suggest you check out the photos of my Wright 1902
glider on my website. Best glide for the original was 622 1/2 ft. launching
from a 100 ft. hill... World record in 1902. Still extremely unstable, but
that's half the fun!

Harry
http://hometown.aol.com/wright1902glider/airshow.html
Old March 30th 04, 12:15 AM
Richard Lamb

Wright1902Glider wrote:

Actually, there are several powerplant/prop harness-units commercially
available for use with hang-gliders. While their use is still contraversial
(is it an ultralight or HG?) the USHGA has ruled to include them in our bylaws.
The condition is that the powerplant is intended for climbout only, with the
primary power coming from soaring thermals.

All right, Harry.
Now ya done gone and done it.

Who has my old Icarus biplane plans?
Cough 'em up!