Last season for BLIPS?

Old April 28th 04, 02:48 AM
Stewart Kissel

Default Last season for BLIPS?

I was reviewing the Dr Jack site and his subscription
message, he sounds as if the workload means this may
be the final season. He sent out the message for those
like me who have become quite dependant on them to
beware. Let's take advantage of them while they still
exist.

Old April 28th 04, 02:57 PM
Bob Mowry

Why hasn't the SSA struck a deal with Dr Jack regarding running this
service for its members? I don't know about the rest of you but I
check Dr Jack's site about 5 - 10 times more frequently than
www.ssa.org. I pretty much check it every day that looks soarable
here in Pennsylvania just for fun - even when flying is out of the
question for me that day. I think the SSA is missing a great
opportunity to service its members.

Maybe this service will be part of the redesigned SSA web site? And
maybe the SSA dues increase last year was part of covering Dr Jack's
well deserved royalty stream

-bob
Old April 28th 04, 10:07 PM
303pilot

"Bob Mowry" wrote in message
om...
Why hasn't the SSA struck a deal with Dr Jack regarding running this
service for its members? I don't know about the rest of you but I
check Dr Jack's site about 5 - 10 times more frequently than
www.ssa.org.
Maybe this service will be part of the redesigned SSA web site? And
maybe the SSA dues increase last year was part of covering Dr Jack's
well deserved royalty stream

-bob

Capital idea! It'd be a great place for ads also.
SSA, are you listening?

Old April 28th 04, 10:33 PM
Marc Ramsey

"303pilot" brentUNDERSCOREsullivanATbmcDOTcom wrote...
"Bob Mowry" wrote...
Why hasn't the SSA struck a deal with Dr Jack regarding running this
service for its members? I don't know about the rest of you but I
check Dr Jack's site about 5 - 10 times more frequently than
www.ssa.org.
Maybe this service will be part of the redesigned SSA web site? And
maybe the SSA dues increase last year was part of covering Dr Jack's
well deserved royalty stream

-bob

Capital idea! It'd be a great place for ads also.
SSA, are you listening?

According to my SSA Director (and others), there have been serious
discussions between the SSA and Dr. Jack about this. Since nothing seems to
have resulted from these discussions, I think we can safely assume that the
parties disagreed on the terms under which such a deal could be arranged.
So I can't answer "Why hasn't the SSA struck a deal with Dr Jack", but
clearly the SSA and Dr. Jack did try...

Marc

Old April 29th 04, 02:27 AM
solo89

(Bob Mowry) wrote in message . com...
Why hasn't the SSA struck a deal with Dr Jack regarding running this
service for its members? I don't know about the rest of you but I
check Dr Jack's site about 5 - 10 times more frequently than
www.ssa.org. I pretty much check it every day that looks soarable
here in Pennsylvania just for fun - even when flying is out of the
question for me that day. I think the SSA is missing a great
opportunity to service its members.

Maybe this service will be part of the redesigned SSA web site? And
maybe the SSA dues increase last year was part of covering Dr Jack's
well deserved royalty stream

-bob

I'm a newbie to the sport. I'm a member of SSA because my club
requires membership. I enjoy the magazine.

The website is pretty stale. I look at the classifieds and at contest
results when someone I know is competing. Personally, I think the
website leaves a lot to be desired. I anxiously await the new site.

BLIPMAPS are worth more to me than what I know that I get from SSA. I
phrase it that way because I believe I get more from SSA than I'm
aware of.

The soaring community needs to support Dr. Jack. It would be best if
that support came through the SSA. Again, I'm new to all of this. I'm
still trying to figure out if I believe the BLIPMAPS. I'd estimate
that I look at BLIPMAPS at least 20 times for every time I look at
SSA.

FWIW
Doug
Old May 1st 04, 02:57 AM
Mark James Boyd

I'm a newbie to the sport. I'm a member of SSA because my club
requires membership. I enjoy the magazine.

I'm only a member of organizations that provide a magazine or
newletter (except one

The website is pretty stale. I look at the classifieds and at contest
results when someone I know is competing. Personally, I think the
website leaves a lot to be desired. I anxiously await the new site.

Websites are just a collection of files, for the most part.
Not really like a new TV show with original content.
I for one am happy with the website as a "dictionary" type resource,
and using the magazine for "hot new topics"

BLIPMAPS are worth more to me than what I know that I get from SSA. I
phrase it that way because I believe I get more from SSA than I'm
aware of.

If not for SSA, I'd guess there would be NO
glider ops at public airports. I'm a member for this, and
the mag of course.

The soaring community needs to support Dr. Jack. It would be best if
that support came through the SSA. Again, I'm new to all of this. I'm
still trying to figure out if I believe the BLIPMAPS. I'd estimate
that I look at BLIPMAPS at least 20 times for every time I look at
SSA.

Dr. Jack BLIPs are gonna go bye bye no matter what. His
time is more valuable than money. He's written as much. If
they survive, then like the TIPs somebody else is just
gonna take them over and do the maintenance. That person
if they do advertising on the site too might make
a few bucks...I hope it goes this way...

Dr. Jack developed the products. Maintaining them is
just not his area of happiness...
--

------------+
Mark Boyd
Old May 4th 04, 01:40 AM
JohnD

Isn't there an entrepreneur out there who can make this work?
Well....maybe a semi-retired one?

As far as SSA doing it, well.... that would probably doom it to
failure. They have their hands full right now it seems. This needs an
entrepreneurial attitude which is rarely present at an organization
such as SSA.

I know I would pay an annual fee for access to this site and so would
a whole lot of other people. The information is fantastic.
Old May 4th 04, 02:19 AM
Eric Greenwell

JohnD wrote:
Isn't there an entrepreneur out there who can make this work?
Well....maybe a semi-retired one?

As far as SSA doing it, well.... that would probably doom it to
failure. They have their hands full right now it seems. This needs an
entrepreneurial attitude which is rarely present at an organization
such as SSA.

I know I would pay an annual fee for access to this site and so would
a whole lot of other people. The information is fantastic.

But isn't that what is happening? The Blipmap site say subscriptions
start in the middle of May, but "guinea pigs" ("early adopters", "beta
testers") are encouraged to try it now.

Eric Greenwell
Washington State
USA

Old May 4th 04, 04:07 AM
Stewart Kissel

Snip

All this is by way of letting my users know that they
should not expect that DrJack will definitely continue
beyond the end of this soaring season

Snip

At 01:30 04 May 2004, Eric Greenwell wrote:
JohnD wrote:
Isn't there an entrepreneur out there who can make
this work?
Well....maybe a semi-retired one?

As far as SSA doing it, well.... that would probably
doom it to
failure. They have their hands full right now it seems.
This needs an
entrepreneurial attitude which is rarely present at
an organization
such as SSA.

I know I would pay an annual fee for access to this
site and so would
a whole lot of other people. The information is fantastic.

But isn't that what is happening? The Blipmap site
say subscriptions
start in the middle of May, but 'guinea pigs' ('early
adopters', 'beta
testers') are encouraged to try it now.
--
Change 'netto' to 'net' to email me directly

Eric Greenwell
Washington State
USA

Old May 4th 04, 04:18 AM
Stewart Kissel

He has since updated on his thoughts, look under 'Dr
Jack Must Die' on his site. He will see how this season
goes, however if there is little subscription activity
and the hassle factor stays high-it will be an easy
choice to pull the plug.

JohnD wrote:
[...]

2004 California airshow season shaping up! Wings Of Fury Military Aviation 0 December 31st 03 05:34 AM
2003 Governor's Cup Season is History Papa3 Soaring 0 November 10th 03 02:00 AM
Hunting Season EDR Piloting 29 November 9th 03 04:47 PM
Why are the Tbirds finishing season w/only 5 aircraft? dave999 Military Aviation 4 October 16th 03 03:40 PM
Best Season for Marfa TX? chris Soaring 3 August 27th 03 02:58 AM