GPS Notams of outages

Old May 22nd 05, 02:00 AM
Robert Scott

Default GPS Notams of outages

I have seen some GPS Notams about likely unreliability in certain
areas over certain very narrowly-defined periods of time. Can anyone
tell me what sort of known activities create these conditions?

-Robert Scott
Ypsilanti, Michigan
Old May 22nd 05, 05:35 AM
J. Severyn

Periodic uploads of ephemeris and clock data to the SV, testing,
maintenance, switching of clocks, etc. from Master Control at Schriever Air
Force Base.

J. Severyn KLVK

Old May 22nd 05, 07:29 AM
Stan Gosnell

"J. Severyn" wrote in
:

Periodic uploads of ephemeris and clock data to the SV, testing,
maintenance, switching of clocks, etc. from Master Control at
Schriever Air Force Base.

And tests of jamming equipment. The only way to be sure whether a system
can be jammed is by jamming it.

--
Regards,

Stan

safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." B. Franklin
Old May 22nd 05, 09:05 AM
Thomas Borchert

Robert,

tests and/or usage of ground-based jamming equipment.

As the people at Schriever AFB have explained to me, uploads of data
(each satellite has to be "touched" by the ground station at least once
per day - talk about maintenance intensive) do NOT disrupt service.
Also, it is not really possible to deny service to well defined
geographic areas by switching off satellites.

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

Old May 22nd 05, 09:05 AM
Thomas Borchert

J.,

Periodic uploads of ephemeris and clock data to the SV, testing,
maintenance, switching of clocks, etc. from Master Control at Schriever Air
Force Base.

Hmm. What, if I may ask, is your source for that? The people at Schriever told
me specifically these kinds of things will not disrupt service.

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

Old May 22nd 05, 04:50 PM
Dan Wegman

Get current status he
http://www.navcen.uscg.gov/gps/gpsnotices/

J.,

Old May 23rd 05, 01:33 AM
SolarSapien

That is a good question.

How can they tell a area will have a GPS problem for a short
amount of time??

If it is interference, it should be eliminated. Makes you
wonder about the stupid plan by the FAA to shut off VOR and
DME's around the country.

That would be very DUMB. I have also noticed more and more
VOR's, NDB's, ILS's and DME's broke and not in service
around the country on the NOTAM database. Scary.

Looks like the FAA can't keep their stuff running huh??

Old May 23rd 05, 04:13 AM
Stan Gosnell

SolarSapien wrote in news:nt9ke.11440$8S5.6401
@bignews3.bellsouth.net:

Looks like the FAA can't keep their stuff running huh??

GPS does not belong to the FAA, and they don't run it.

Old May 23rd 05, 04:46 AM
SolarSapien

I was speaking of DME's, VOR's, ILS's, NDB's etc.

FAA does run the WAAS network however

Old May 23rd 05, 06:08 AM

Thomas Borchert wrote:
Robert,

tests and/or usage of ground-based jamming equipment.

As the people at Schriever AFB have explained to me, uploads of data
(each satellite has to be "touched" by the ground station at least

once
per day - talk about maintenance intensive) do NOT disrupt service.
Also, it is not really possible to deny service to well defined
geographic areas by switching off satellites.

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

I guess whether or not a disruption may occur would depend upon what
the definition of 'service' is. If it includes the 'availability of
integrity to conduct an approach' then:

There are cases where a satellite taken OTS, can affect availability of
integrity using standalone GPS (RAIM) as well as cases where
availability of integrity using WAAS is not guaranteed.

As 'GPS' is sometimes used as an umbrella term, it wasn't clear from
the original post whether the NOTAMs referred to, were GPS NOTAMs or
perhaps WAAS NOTAMs as the latter can contain the UNREL contraction.

Regards,
Jon