CFII oral exam guide questions?

Old June 9th 06, 06:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

Default CFII oral exam guide questions?

Can anyone point me to an oral exam guide (internet preferred) for the
CFII? I see lots of stuff for IR but no one seems to publish anything
for the CFII specifically. Looking for specific questions on teaching
techniques.

-Robert

Old June 12th 06, 03:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

I outlined the CFII PTS, including listing and comments on common
errors at
http://greggordon.org/flying/flightI...mentRating.htm
Greg

Old June 12th 06, 03:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

Awesome! Thanks. On my check ride I'm to prepare a presentation on
attitude instrument flying. I like some of the things you have in your
lesson plan that I'll probably incorporate into mine.
Thanks!

-Robert

Old June 12th 06, 08:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

You might look at:

http://www.dauntless-soft.com/PRODUC...?DMODE=FAATEST

I have used their software for written tests and found it to be very
good. I tried the "RideReady" Commercial oral package when it was
very new, a couple of years ago and at that time I thought it was kind
of weak. YMMV, though, and you can at least look at the free trial
download. I would suggest you ask Adrian how many questions are in
the full package. IIRC the Commercial package I tried had a
relatively small number -- like under 50. That was my main criticism
of it.

Old June 13th 06, 07:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr,rec.aviation.student

You can explain how a VOR/DME works with a simple visual
model.

There is a large lake with an island in the middle. There
is a lighthouse with a rotating beacon that makes one
revolution a minute. It has a white beacon and a green
beacon, when the white beacon is passing North, a big strobe
light on top flashes and a very loud horn sounds.

You see the strobe light flash and 6 seconds later see the
green beacon sweep by. Where are you? 216 degrees from the
beacon. Ten seconds after the strobe, you hear the horn,
how far away? 2 miles.

VOR is the same, just faster.

Steer your boat so the bow always points to the light and
you've got an ADF homer.

--
James H. Macklin
ATP,CFI,A&P

some support

"Robert M. Gary" wrote in message
oups.com...

| Mitty wrote:
| You might look at:

http://www.dauntless-soft.com/PRODUC...?DMODE=FAATEST

| I have used their software for written tests and found
it to be very
| good. I tried the "RideReady" Commercial oral package
when it was
| very new, a couple of years ago and at that time I
thought it was kind
| of weak.
|
| They don't appear to have anything for the CFII . As it
turn out, my
| instructor knows an enourmous amount of stuff and I'm
spending late
| nights learning stuff I never thought I'd know.
| 1) He showed me disassembled instruments when describing
how each works
| (how well can most of us explain how an altimeter really
works inside,
| I thought a mag compass was ball shaped )
| 2) He also explained how VORs really work (I thought they
broadcast
| actual radials but they actually time the difference
between a
| reference signal and a rotating sweeping signal).
| 3) He expects me to memorize the freq of markers and be
able to
| distinguish a loc freq from vor freq by looking at the
freq number.
| 4) Even the stuff I thought I knew was wrong. I thought
lots of air was
| always running through the pitot tube and out the drain
hole.
| Apparently only a very, very small amount of air comes out
the back of
| the drain hole and the actual volume of air running
through the pitot
| is very small. Looking at all the books, I got the
impression air was

Old June 13th 06, 07:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr,rec.aviation.student

On 06/13/06 11:15, Jim Macklin wrote:
You can explain how a VOR/DME works with a simple visual
model.

There is a large lake with an island in the middle. There
is a lighthouse with a rotating beacon that makes one
revolution a minute. It has a white beacon and a green
beacon, when the white beacon is passing North, a big strobe
light on top flashes and a very loud horn sounds.

You see the strobe light flash and 6 seconds later see the
green beacon sweep by. Where are you? 216 degrees from the
beacon. Ten seconds after the strobe, you hear the horn,
how far away? 2 miles.

So are both the white and green beacons rotating?

Don't you just need an omnidirectional strobe (with horn for
distance measurements) and a single rotating beacon?

VOR is the same, just faster.

Steer your boat so the bow always points to the light and
you've got an ADF homer.

Cal Aggie Flying Farmers
Sacramento, CA
Old June 13th 06, 08:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr,rec.aviation.student

Just like the rotating beacon at the airport, the two lights
are 180 apart and rotate on the common shaft.

Yes, you could have just one light rotating, but two
identifiable beacons makes the system more useable and
faster.

English lesson... "white beacon passing North...green beacon
sweeps by" Seems that both are moving.

Old June 13th 06, 08:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr,rec.aviation.student

On 06/13/06 12:08, Jim Macklin wrote:
Just like the rotating beacon at the airport, the two lights
are 180 apart and rotate on the common shaft.

Yes, you could have just one light rotating, but two
identifiable beacons makes the system more useable and
faster.

English lesson... "white beacon passing North...green beacon
sweeps by" Seems that both are moving.

Thanks, but I don't really need the English lesson.
Your description made it sound like there were two rotating
beacons, and I couldn't see why that was necessary to make
the point. I asked the question so you could clarify.

Having one rotating beacon seems to illustrate the functionality.
If the point is to make the system easy for a student pilot to
understand, why not keep it simple?

The "useable[sic] and faster" issue isn't really necessary for
the student to understand how the system works, IMHO :-)

I do like the analogy, though.

Thanks,

"Mark Hansen" wrote in message
| On 06/13/06 11:15, Jim Macklin wrote:
| You can explain how a VOR/DME works with a simple visual
| model.
|
| There is a large lake with an island in the middle.
There
| is a lighthouse with a rotating beacon that makes one
| revolution a minute. It has a white beacon and a green
| beacon, when the white beacon is passing North, a big
strobe
| light on top flashes and a very loud horn sounds.
|
| You see the strobe light flash and 6 seconds later see
the
| green beacon sweep by. Where are you? 216 degrees from
the
| beacon. Ten seconds after the strobe, you hear the
horn,
| how far away? 2 miles.
|
| So are both the white and green beacons rotating?
|
| Don't you just need an omnidirectional strobe (with horn
for
| distance measurements) and a single rotating beacon?
|

| VOR is the same, just faster.
|

| Steer your boat so the bow always points to the light
and
| you've got an ADF homer.
|

| --
| Mark Hansen, PP-ASEL, Instrument Airplane
| Cal Aggie Flying Farmers
| Sacramento, CA

Cal Aggie Flying Farmers
Sacramento, CA
Old June 13th 06, 08:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr,rec.aviation.student

Robert M. Gary wrote:
1) He showed me disassembled instruments when describing how each works
(how well can most of us explain how an altimeter really works inside,
I thought a mag compass was ball shaped )

I always thought it was worthwhile to show an instrument student a
disassembled compass. Once he sees how the counterweight works to
compensate for the vertical component of the magnetic field, turning
errors are obvious - as well as why there are no turning errors while
taxiing. Accelerationa and deceleration errors are equally obvious.

2) He also explained how VORs really work (I thought they broadcast
actual radials but they actually time the difference between a
reference signal and a rotating sweeping signal).

You know, I once interviewed an electrical engineer who worked for a
major GA autopilot manufacturer who told me he worked on VOR. He
couldn't explain it to me. Of course I didn't hire him.

3) He expects me to memorize the freq of markers and be able to
distinguish a loc freq from vor freq by looking at the freq number.

Well, it can be done - but WHY? There is some value in knowing that
the radio determines whether to use the VOR or LOC circuitry based on
the frequency selected. There is much value to understanding the
difference, especially as it applies to the validity of a VOR check for
LOC/ILS ops. Memorizing what the actual frequencies are seems rather
pointless.

4) Even the stuff I thought I knew was wrong. I thought lots of air was
always running through the pitot tube and out the drain hole.
Apparently only a very, very small amount of air comes out the back of
the drain hole and the actual volume of air running through the pitot
is very small. Looking at all the books, I got the impression air was
just rushing through.

Then you really didn't understand the physics of how a pitot tube
works.

Think of a pitot tube as an energy conversion device. There is energy
in moving air. There is energy in pressurized air. A pitot tube is a
device for converting the former into the latter. An ASI is actually a
pressure gauge (usually a brass bellows that drives the needle) that
measures the difference between the ram pressure and the static
pressure. The ram pressure is always going to be higher, because the
speed of the airplane is forcing air in, and pressurizing it.

All the drain hole does is cause error (non-heated pitot tubes often
don't even have drain holes - the primary function of the drain hole is
to allow the water formed when the pitot heat melts the ice to drain)
by allowing some of the ram pressure to bleed off. If the pitot tube
is to give a reasonably accurate indication, the rate of leakage MUST
be small.

Amazing how much you can learn while working on a rating that
supposedly only allows you to teach what you already know.

Michael

Old June 13th 06, 08:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr,rec.aviation.student

On 06/13/06 12:34, Michael wrote:
Robert M. Gary wrote:
[...]

I thought this allowed rain water to drain as well. Otherwise, couldn't
the water build up and eventually get into the pressure line to the
ASI?

Or does the air pressure keep/force the water out the front of the
tube somehow?