First glider to buy 10-20k euro's

Old March 16th 18, 04:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default First glider to buy 10-20k euro's

There are a few Std. Libelles that were modified with split flaps: http://libelle.bugwiper.com/tuning.htm (towards the bottom of the page). But this is not available anymore. Libelle with these flaps may not be modified with winglets.
Old March 16th 18, 05:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Martin Gregorie[_6_]

On Fri, 16 Mar 2018 09:32:44 -0700, christoph.barniske wrote:

There are a few Std. Libelles that were modified with split flaps:
http://libelle.bugwiper.com/tuning.htm (towards the bottom of the page).
But this is not available anymore. Libelle with these flaps may not be
modified with winglets.

Weren't these the Libelles fitted with after-market wing extensions to
give then a 17m span?

The only 17m Libelle I've seen advertised certainly had the split flaps,
so I'd always assumed the split flaps were fitted because normal weak
Libelle airbrakes became totally inadequate with the extra wing span &
area.

--
Martin | martin at
Gregorie | gregorie dot org
Old March 16th 18, 08:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

The TN are not available anymore. But from the article I understand that these were two separate changes.
Old March 16th 18, 08:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Martin Gregorie[_6_]

On Fri, 16 Mar 2018 13:00:25 -0700, christoph.barniske wrote:

The TN are not available anymore. But from the article I understand that
these were two separate changes.

Thanks for that info.

--
Martin | martin at
Gregorie | gregorie dot org
Old March 16th 18, 11:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Giaco

If you aren't afraid of a little flap.. Look for a PIK-20. Performance to $$ is great!
Old March 17th 18, 06:02 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Senna Van den Bosch

Op zaterdag 17 maart 2018 00:13:51 UTC+1 schreef Giaco:
If you aren't afraid of a little flap.. Look for a PIK-20. Performance to $$ is great!

To be honest, I have been keeping an eye out for one for sale but I have yet to find one in ca. 2 months. One of our club members owns a PIK 20D. I haven't seen him yet but might be able to get a test run.
Old March 17th 18, 09:31 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

If you can accept a glider that has truly awful performance with wet wings then a Pik 20D might be a choice. It is quite amusing to watch - from another glider. And if you can accept that, and also a glider that doesn't have airbrakes, then buy a Pik 20B.

If you want to make a sensible choice then look at how many examples of older gliders were bought when they were new. The gliders that sold in higher numbers did so for good reasons - people who put their money into new gliders generally put a lot of thought into it - and that is still reflected in the current second hand market.

Old March 17th 18, 10:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
son_of_flubber

On Wednesday, March 14, 2018 at 1:01:09 PM UTC-4, Martin Gregorie wrote:

I have a similar history (first solo was my club's SZD Junior, then club
owned Pegase and Discus, then an ASW-20 and my current Std Libelle. Of
these I still like flying a Junior in winter,

Why do you prefer the Junior in winter?
Old March 18th 18, 12:30 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
6PK

On Friday, March 16, 2018 at 8:02:13 AM UTC-7, Tom BravoMike wrote:
After having spoken to a few DG/Libelle/Cirrus owners I am really considering the Libelle. What would be the points to look out for when buying one, in your opinion?

In the Wikipedia article:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glasflügel_H-201

it says:"they are quite sensitive to sideslipping and have relatively ineffective air brakes that make short landings tricky for inexperienced pilots". I wonder what 'sensitive to sideslipping' means in this case.

Don't believe everything you hear or read. I owned a 201B...really sweet handling, plenty of spoilers, no problem slipping. Sweeeet handling! They have great gelcoat, most likely will not have to worry about it too much. I now own a DG300, as I wanted a little more performance...like it but I still miss the Libelle. Have a good AI give you a pre-purchase inspection, it is always cheap insurance buying anything. The 201 is an excellent first glider providing you can fit into one.