NZ Grand Prix 23 JAN

Old January 22nd 06, 10:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default NZ Grand Prix 23 JAN

Hot off the newswi

Monday, 23 January 2006, 9:45 am
Press Release: Gliding Grand Prix

Successful Start To Grand Prix

The New Zealand Community Trust Gliding Grand Prix kicked into action
today with the official practice day that saw pilots competing in real
race conditions but without any points scoring.

The 260km task took fastest pilot, Ben Flewett of New Zealand 2:13
hours to complete with Sebastian Kawa (Poland) just 30 seconds behind
him and third place David Mockler (USA) a further two minutes behind
him.

Flewett's success perfectly illustrates that just one key decision
can make the difference between winning and losing in gliding.

"Sebastian, Dave and I had a real break after the first turn point
when we caught a strong thermal that propelled us into the wave that in
turn took us up to 10,000 feet. I looked down and saw the rest of the
field, who had made a different tactical decision, thousands of feet
below and was very glad I wasn't one of them!" said Flewett.

Heading back from the second turn point to the mid-section of the race
over Omarama, Flewett reached speeds of up to 300kph having to put the
breaks on in order to negotiate the third turn point. After some
low-level ridge running he once again found the wave, travelling back
from the northern most point of the course at Lake Ohau at 250kph,
crossing the finish line back at Omarama just metres above the ground.

Task director Gavin Wills, responsible for setting the course, said it
was a revealing race with pilots having to choose whether to use the
developing wave and sacrifice time to climb and then travel faster or
to run along the ridges. He said that while it was a fairly
conservative task it suited the weather conditions.

The challenge for the prestigious Anaro Group Cup and a place in the
World Sailplane Grand Prix in 2007 begins tomorrow (Sunday) with
gliders launching at approximately 1.30pm (weather permitting).

For further information on the Grand Prix, full results and images,
visit http://www.gp06.com.

Old January 22nd 06, 11:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Burt,

I think that you will find that this report relates to the practice day on
Saturday.

Regards,
John Wilton

oups.com...

Old January 23rd 06, 12:02 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

No kidding! Thanks for the update!

Yes, I know that. I can read.
Still quite interesting, and exciting, don't you think?