Cessna 172R from Telluride to Aspen

Old May 10th 08, 05:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

Default Cessna 172R from Telluride to Aspen

Is it safe/wise to fly a Cessna 172R from Telluride to Aspen? If so, what
conditions or restrictions (if any) should be observed?
Old May 10th 08, 05:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Viperdoc[_3_]

Are you referring to a real airplane or simulated flight with MSFS?

Old May 10th 08, 05:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

Viperdoc writes:

Are you referring to a real airplane or simulated flight with MSFS?

I'm asking about real airplanes, subsequent to a simulated flight with the
same aircraft that ended tragically just a few minutes ago, probably due to
icing, although I'm not sure. I tried the flight as an experiment to see if
it was possible, and I'd like to know from pilots of the real aircraft whether
or not it would be possible or safe to attempt it in real life.

Weather at Aspen was low IFR so I had planned to divert to Garfield County,
but I lost control of the aircraft about 20 miles southeast at 12500 feet and
impacted terrain.
Old May 10th 08, 05:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_24_]

Mxsmanic wrote in
:

Viperdoc writes:

Are you referring to a real airplane or simulated flight with MSFS?

I'm asking about real airplanes, subsequent to a simulated flight with
the same aircraft that ended tragically just a few minutes ago,
probably due to icing, although I'm not sure. I tried the flight as
an experiment to see if it was possible, and I'd like to know from
pilots of the real aircraft whether or not it would be possible or
safe to attempt it in real life.

Weather at Aspen was low IFR so I had planned to divert to Garfield
County, but I lost control of the aircraft about 20 miles southeast at
12500 feet and impacted terrain.

you weren;t in an aircraft, fjukkwt

Bertie
Old May 10th 08, 10:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Benjamin Dover

Mxsmanic wrote in
:

Viperdoc writes:

Are you referring to a real airplane or simulated flight with MSFS?

I'm asking about real airplanes, subsequent to a simulated flight with
the same aircraft that ended tragically just a few minutes ago,
probably due to icing, although I'm not sure. I tried the flight as
an experiment to see if it was possible, and I'd like to know from
pilots of the real aircraft whether or not it would be possible or
safe to attempt it in real life.

Weather at Aspen was low IFR so I had planned to divert to Garfield
County, but I lost control of the aircraft about 20 miles southeast at
12500 feet and impacted terrain.

Wow. Our resident ace pilot can't even fly a 172 on his simulator! I
wonder who give him directions on how to pee.

Old May 10th 08, 10:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
More_Flaps

On May 11, 9:20*am, Benjamin Dover wrote:
Mxsmanic wrote :

Viperdoc writes:

Are you referring to a real airplane or simulated flight with MSFS?

I'm asking about real airplanes, subsequent to a simulated flight with
the same aircraft that ended tragically just a few minutes ago,
probably due to icing, although I'm not sure. *I tried the flight as
an experiment to see if it was possible, and I'd like to know from
pilots of the real aircraft whether or not it would be possible or
safe to attempt it in real life.

Weather at Aspen was low IFR so I had planned to divert to Garfield
County, but I lost control of the aircraft about 20 miles southeast at
12500 feet and impacted terrain.

Wow. *Our resident ace pilot can't even fly a 172 on his simulator!

In this case the output of the game had a modicum of accuracy, MX
would have crashed a real 172 also.

Cheers
Old May 11th 08, 12:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Stealth Pilot[_2_]

Mxsmanic wrote :

Viperdoc writes:

Are you referring to a real airplane or simulated flight with MSFS?

I'm asking about real airplanes, subsequent to a simulated flight with
the same aircraft that ended tragically just a few minutes ago,
probably due to icing, although I'm not sure. *I tried the flight as
an experiment to see if it was possible, and I'd like to know from
pilots of the real aircraft whether or not it would be possible or
safe to attempt it in real life.

Weather at Aspen was low IFR so I had planned to divert to Garfield
County, but I lost control of the aircraft about 20 miles southeast at
12500 feet and impacted terrain.

Wow. *Our resident ace pilot can't even fly a 172 on his simulator!

In this case the output of the game had a modicum of accuracy, MX
would have crashed a real 172 also.

Cheers

there is the real life case of a clown who stole a cherokee 140 from
Darwin Airport in the Northern Territory.

now remember that the cherokee has the reputation for being one of the
easiest to fly blandsville aircraft.

said clown crashed with fatal consequences just over the piano keys on
takeoff.

mx if you ever try flying a real one can I watch?
make it in winter so we can stand there warming our hands over the
fire....

Stealth Pilot
Old May 12th 08, 04:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
gatt[_3_]

Weather at Aspen was low IFR so I had planned to divert to Garfield
County, but I lost control of the aircraft about 20 miles southeast at
12500 feet and impacted terrain.

MSNTSB Report: 'Probable cause of accident: Pilot disorientation caused
by hypoxia due to lack of simulated oxygen'

-c
Old May 12th 08, 03:42 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Tina

This was by any measure a poorly designed experiment. The only lesson
to be learned is planning is necessary for safe flight. Superior
planning is necessary if there are questions about the airplane's
suitability.