Hangar construction question - Level Hangars?

Old December 17th 07, 05:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Al G[_1_]

Default Hangar construction question - Level Hangars?

Our City Council recently had some t-hangars built at KRBG. They were
built on a slope, I think 1.5%. The doors open real easily one way, and need
help going the other way. The floors aren't level, the walls aren't
vertical, albeit not by very much.
My question is: Doesn't this cause some structural problems? If a snow
load is put on these hangars, doesn't that put a lateral load on the
vertical columns? I don't ever remember a building being built where the
walls weren't vertical.

Al G

Old December 17th 07, 07:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

On Dec 17, 10:19 am, "Al G" wrote:
Our City Council recently had some t-hangars built at KRBG. They were
built on a slope, I think 1.5%. The doors open real easily one way, and need
help going the other way. The floors aren't level, the walls aren't
vertical, albeit not by very much.
My question is: Doesn't this cause some structural problems? If a snow
load is put on these hangars, doesn't that put a lateral load on the
vertical columns? I don't ever remember a building being built where the
walls weren't vertical.

Al G

Hard to believe they passed a building inspection, or received a CO.

Ben
Old December 17th 07, 07:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Peter Clark

On Mon, 17 Dec 2007 11:02:31 -0800 (PST), "
wrote:

On Dec 17, 10:19 am, "Al G" wrote:
Our City Council recently had some t-hangars built at KRBG. They were
built on a slope, I think 1.5%. The doors open real easily one way, and need
help going the other way. The floors aren't level, the walls aren't
vertical, albeit not by very much.
My question is: Doesn't this cause some structural problems? If a snow
load is put on these hangars, doesn't that put a lateral load on the
vertical columns? I don't ever remember a building being built where the
walls weren't vertical.

Al G

Hard to believe they passed a building inspection, or received a CO.

I could understand a sloped floor for drainage or something, but
non-vertical walls?
Old December 17th 07, 07:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Al G[_1_]

"Gig601XLBuilder" wrote in message
On Dec 17, 10:19 am, "Al G" wrote:
Our City Council recently had some t-hangars built at KRBG. They
were
built on a slope, I think 1.5%. The doors open real easily one way, and
need
help going the other way. The floors aren't level, the walls aren't
vertical, albeit not by very much.
My question is: Doesn't this cause some structural problems? If a
snow
load is put on these hangars, doesn't that put a lateral load on the
vertical columns? I don't ever remember a building being built where the
walls weren't vertical.

Al G

Hard to believe they passed a building inspection, or received a CO.

Ben

It all kind of depends on how they were offset from vertical.

_______
/ \
/ \
/ \

Is going to be stronger than...
_____________
\ /
\ /
\ /

Of course, if you have this...
___________
\ \
\ \
\ \

You're screwed.

Yep, the last one. I've been inside, and saw no special diagonal
bracing. The interior is supported by a large steel "T"'s running East/West,
with the posts landing in the middle wall. The hangars open East & West, and
the slope is North/South. It appears that only the hangar skin is supporting
any load diagonally, and that has the doors cut in it.

In addition, the distance from doors to the middle wall is shorter than
the distance from the middle wall to the back of the hangar. A Bonanza, 210,
or Warrior all stick out of the door. I guess something like a T-Craft or
Cub would fit.

These are brand new $200/month T-Hangars, fingers are being pointed, and
the airport manager just quit. I don't know if it matters, but keep in mind,
this is a city building. They have not needed to comply with the buried
drainage ditches like all the other builders. One of their drainage gutters
came out 9" above the hangar line it was to protect. An Audit is underway.

Al G

Old December 17th 07, 08:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Jay Honeck

These are brand new $200/month T-Hangars, fingers are being pointed, and
the airport manager just quit. I don't know if it matters, but keep in mind,
this is a city building. They have not needed to comply with the buried
drainage ditches like all the other builders. One of their drainage gutters
came out 9" above the hangar line it was to protect. An Audit is underway.

If this was anything but an airport issue, I'd recommend calling the
local newspaper.

Unfortunately, they'd probably twist this whole screwed-up mess into
an anti-airport article -- so perhaps working inside the city
(guaranteed to be frustrating and maybe damned-near impossible) to get
this fixed is best.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA
Old December 18th 07, 12:42 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning

On Dec 17, 10:19 am, "Al G" wrote:
[...]

Al G- Hide quoted text -

A Warrior can't fit ???? Geez, That is a BIG screw
up. !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ben
www.haaspowerair.com Home of the "beast"
My first 500 hours were in my own Warrior, N4341X.. I loved that
plane.....
Old December 18th 07, 12:48 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Kyle Boatright

On Dec 17, 10:19 am, "Al G" wrote:
[...]

Not necessarily. My home field is installing 3 different sizes of T and Box
hangars sized for different types of aircraft. Some are sized for twins up
to MU-2 sized, others are for singles and small twins, and others will fit
smaller aircraft such as AA-1's, RV's, and ultralights.

I'm not saying this is a great solution, but in my airport's situation, it
did result in the best use of the available land.