resorcinol = Carpenter's glue

Old June 12th 05, 03:41 PM
Stealth Pilot

On 11 Jun 2005 17:58:50 -0700, "
wrote:

Resorcinol is the recommended adhesive for wooden aircraft?
To what degree is carpenters glue the same thing?

resorcinol formaldehyde is a plum coloured liquid and a tan coloured
hardener powder. been in use on aircraft for about 70 years.

urea formaldehyde is I think the carpenters glue.

different chemistry

Stealth Pilot
Old June 12th 05, 06:17 PM
Morgans

"COLIN LAMB" wrote

The first few responses were not blunt, nor did they convey the message

that
to use carpenter's glue was akin to Icarius making his wings out of wax.

This not blunt enough? Quote: I read that carpenters glue is to never be
used on aircraft. I think the problem is that it dries too brittle.

Or how about this? Quote: The glue just shears right at the joint.

The fact was that the question indicated the questioner was considering
sustaining life with carpenter's glue.

Huh? OP quote: Resorcinol is the recommended adhesive for wooden aircraft?
To what degree is carpenters glue the same thing?

He asked how much they were related. Like, "are they both animal products,
so will I find resorcinol similar to work with, as carpenters glue, in how
it is applied," perhaps. Nowhere did he say he was going to use carpenters
glue on an airplane, by asking "can I use carpenters glue instead of
resorcinol?"

I agree, that the question seems like the OP should have more knowledge at
hand, but geez, don't over react.
--
Jim in NC

Old June 12th 05, 07:11 PM
W P Dixon

Well Colin I thought it was pretty dern blunt myself. Without being a
dickhead about it, but telling him what would happen...SHEAR. Now hmm let's
see does anyone with any common sense see that as DANGER? I am sure they do.
The dreaded "Wings of Wax" may tell him danger as well, but it still did
not tell him a reason why. I gave him a few reasons why. Doom and gloom all
you wish to, but tell a student the reason WHY. I am sure your teacher would
agree.

Patrick
student SPL
aircraft structural mech

"COLIN LAMB" wrote in message
ink.net...
The first few responses were not blunt, nor did they convey the message
that to use carpenter's glue was akin to Icarius making his wings out of
wax. I always appreciated when my teachers were blunt about a stupid
question.

The fact was that the question indicated the questioner was considering
sustaining life with carpenter's glue.

Colin

KA6E and Foka 4 comparable metal ships - Laister Nugget LP15 Matthieu Soaring 18 June 7th 05 01:20 AM
Removable glue Lou Home Built 2 April 14th 05 06:57 AM
Glue question [email protected] Owning 1 December 6th 04 03:25 PM
Spar gluing Lou Parker Home Built 26 November 21st 03 08:29 PM
Drywall Gussets Veeduber Home Built 5 October 27th 03 09:03 PM