Takeoff with a problem?

Old January 19th 04, 04:36 PM
Rocky

Default Takeoff with a problem?

This is a loaded question and I suspect most will adamently say they
would not! However, it isn't too hard to come up with a number of
scenarios in which a pilot would take off with known "legal" problems
that are not affecting safety of flight, and some which are mechanical
problems that do affect safe flight in a very personal manner.
Now I am going to sit back and watch the weekend pilots take their
best shots, and hope to see some pros who have been out in the bush
and had to make the hard decision as to take off or sit and wait for
help.
In years past, I have had to do some flying that I probably would have
fired pilots over if they were flying off concrete and wearing ties
and white shirts.
Like I said, this is a trick question and meant to stir the pot to
create some very real day to day scenarios.
Ol Shy & Bashful
Old January 19th 04, 05:17 PM
Big John

Flyingrock

Just a little gas on the fire.

During my career in the Air Force, I rarely flew a bird without some
deferred write up in the Form One.

Rule was if the write up did not effect the safety or mission
accomplishment of flight then you signed off the acceptance and few
the mission.

On my personal GA bird I many times flew it with write ups until I
either had the money or time to get fixed if it did not effect the
safety of flight.

So, all said and done, what's the big deal unless your talking about
the tort system?

Big John
Pilot ROCAF

Old January 19th 04, 06:23 PM
David Brooks

"Rocky" wrote in message
om...
This is a loaded question and I suspect most will adamently say they
would not! However, it isn't too hard to come up with a number of
scenarios in which a pilot would take off with known "legal" problems
that are not affecting safety of flight, and some which are mechanical
problems that do affect safe flight in a very personal manner.

Friday evening I got in a rented 172, solo, and the red "high voltage" idiot
light went on. However, I did taxi out, tried a runup, and ran the
appropriate checklist without luck. It was a humid evening, with a slight
possibility of the weather suddenly going IMC, so I went back and squawked
it. Afterwards I wondered if I had maybe split the switch (most unlikely; I
never do that on a routine basis and I had cycled the switch twice). I also
asked myself whether I would have departed if I had "jiggled" the alternator
side and that had turned the red light off - I think not. The mission was
just for fun and currency, easy to cancel, and I definitely wouldn't have
taken passengers at night with a questionable electrical system. BTDT.

Next day they couldn't reproduce the fault, flew the plane without problem,
but decided not to bill me for night taxi practice, and that evening I tried
again, same plane. It was a dry night and quiet in the air, so very little
danger even if it fritzed, which it didn't of course.

I didn't log it as 0.3 pilot time, although I could be persuaded that the
experience does fall into the Commercial areas of operation requirement.

Comments: excess of caution on day 1, foolhardy on day 2?

-- David Brooks

Old January 19th 04, 10:00 PM
David

[...]

This happens every day all over the country in all types of aircraft. It's
part of the pilot's decision process. I've ferried planes where one of us
flew and the other guy was under the panel making repairs while the pilot
held the flashlight for him.

Old January 20th 04, 03:00 PM
Rocky

Big John wrote in message . ..
Flyingrock

Just a little gas on the fire.

During my career in the Air Force, I rarely flew a bird without some
deferred write up in the Form One.

Rule was if the write up did not effect the safety or mission
accomplishment of flight then you signed off the acceptance and few
the mission.

On my personal GA bird I many times flew it with write ups until I
either had the money or time to get fixed if it did not effect the
safety of flight.

So, all said and done, what's the big deal unless your talking about
the tort system?

Big John
Pilot ROCAF

Big John
Glad to see the healthy responses to the post. I've been accused of
being a stupid sh** or a troll for some of my posts but I always
thought the NG was to share info instead of being accusatory about
anything that smacked of "outside the boundaries".....
As a point of curiosity...what is ROCAF?
Would you consider a rotor RPM gage going inop during operations
sufficient to quit for the day? I suppose you could equate that with
the RPM gage going B.O. in nearly any aircraft?!
Of course there is always the spectre of the tort system, and the FAA
if there is some kind of investigation as a result of an accident or
incident. That is a subject that could take a whole new area of
discussion!
Best Regards and Cheers
FlyinRock

Old January 20th 04, 03:07 PM
Rocky

"David" wrote in message ...
[...]

Hi
This is a perfect example of what I'm talking about. Have you been
accused of full of sh** for such statements? As I've said before, my
feelings have always beeen that the NG is partly to share info that
could be of interest to pilots who have never seen or been presented
with unusual circumstances that required a judgement call. I'm hoping
to smoke out some of the pros who lurk and get their input. My
logbooks are full of interesting incidents around the world in
equipment that would make many shudder with either disgust or
disbelief. Thanks
FlyinRock aka Ol Shy & Bashful
Old January 20th 04, 06:11 PM
C J Campbell

It depends a lot on the purpose of the flight and what the squawk is. The
pilot is the final authority of whether it is safe to fly. He has to suffer
the consequences of a bad decision, both legal and otherwise.

Old January 20th 04, 11:06 PM
Larry Fransson

On 2004-01-20 07:14:45 -0800, (Rocky) said:

It's a known fact that most squawks are found on the homebound leg of

the
flight.

Is that because when the squawk is found they head back to base? gg
I'm talking about actually taking off with a known problem whether its
headed for home or someplace else.

I don't have a problem flying with inoperative equipment that is deferred
in accordance with the minimum equipment list, as long as it isn't
something I actually need for the flight. I also generally live by the
rule that I don't have to fly anywhere at any time just because someone
said, "Go." If it doesn't work and I need it, I'm not leaving home. If
I'm away from home, I might note it acting up a bit on the outbound leg,
and I'll confirm it on the return leg and write it up when I get home.

Sometimes, a real, live deficiency pops up on the outbound leg. Then it
doesn't matter what the situation is. I call home and they find another
way to finish the trip. I once spent a night at the Stikine Inn (paper
thin walls, and lots of hot heat that you can't turn down - woo hoo!) in
Wrangell, Alaska when we noted on arrival that the standby attitude
indicator was dead. We had just descended through a couple thousand feet
of icy clouds, causing our nurses to ask, "How much ice is too much?" My
answer: "More than that." (The airplane was a Citation II, which has
pneumatic deice boots on the wings, so they were able to watch the ice
collecting.) It was a major inconvenience and the patient had to wait
another two hours or so, but there was no way I was flying home that way.
I could just see us climbing out and having another attitude indicator
fail. In the clouds, in the dark, is not where I want to be when I'm
trying to figure out which of two remaining attitude indicators (one
electric, one air-driven) is wrong. There's really no such thing as
partial panel flying for me anymore. That standby AI is the tie-breaker
(and it's required). They sent another airplane to complete the trip. The
next day, we got a ferry permit to fly home in VFR conditions.
Fortunately, it was relatively clear, which can be somewhat uncommon in
that part of the country.

--
Larry Fransson
Seattle, WA

Landing and T/O distances (Was Cold War ALternate Basing) Guy Alcala Military Aviation 3 August 13th 04 12:18 PM
GEM 1200 Problem Jim Kaufeld Owning 11 March 22nd 04 03:54 AM
Overweight takeoff / flight Koopas Ly Piloting 50 December 3rd 03 11:53 PM
Garmin fixes moving waypoint problem -- almost Jon Woellhaf Instrument Flight Rules 6 November 28th 03 05:29 PM
fatal bird strike StellaStar Piloting 9 July 13th 03 09:41 PM