Help me write 25 Aviation Trivia Questions!

Old December 8th 03, 09:26 PM
Jeff Franks

For the average Joe listener, I think your going to have to mix in some
questions that are a bit....easier.

The easy one's like:

Which brother flew the first successful flight of the Wright Flyer?
First person to break the sound barrier (intentionally).
First person to fly the Atlantic Solo.
First woman to fly the Atlantic Solo.
What year did the Wright brothers fly (from the theme of your show, they can
do the math).
Who led a squadron of B-25's on the first bombing of Tokyo?

Most of the questions given so far are great questions, but anyone
non-aviation related would qualify for Jeopardy if they got them right

Jeff

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message
I need some suggestions for aviation trivia questions, pronto! Who better
but you guys and gals to ask, no? :-)

Why? We've decided to do a month-long radio contest in January, on our

most
popular local radio station, promoting our aviation theme inn. It's going
to be called "the '100th Anniversary of Flight Trivia Contest', sponsored

by
the Alexis Park Inn & Suites", and will run every day at prime "drive

time".
Daily winners will each receive a FREE night in one of our aviation theme
suites. (It'll be something along the lines of "the tenth correct caller
wins...)

Thus, every day, for 25 days, the announcer will ask a different aviation
trivia question that must be (a) interesting to the non-flying public, (b)
hard enough to weed out the riff-raff, and (c) easy enough so that someone
can actually win! Ideally, the questions should relate to the theme of
our suites in some way...

So, have at it! No one knows aviation trivia like you guys, so fling some
questions at me! (And answers would be good, too? :-)

Thanks!
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old December 8th 03, 09:32 PM
David Brooks

"Jeff Franks" wrote in message
For the average Joe listener, I think your going to have to mix in some
questions that are a bit....easier.

The easy one's like:

Which brother flew the first successful flight of the Wright Flyer?
First person to break the sound barrier (intentionally).
First person to fly the Atlantic Solo.
First woman to fly the Atlantic Solo.
What year did the Wright brothers fly (from the theme of your show, they

can
do the math).

Given that the show will be in 2004, they'd be wrong :-)

Jay, shouldn't the show be "The second century of flight trivia contest"?

-- David Brooks

Old December 8th 03, 09:50 PM
Don Tuite

Q: Who flew the first loop-the-loop in the USA?

A: Lincoln Beachey, on November 18, 1913. (Adolphe Pegoud of France
flew the first loop on September 21, in a Bleriot XI-2. He had been
inspired the previoius month by watching from his parachute the aerial
death-dance of a plane he had just bailed out of.)

Q: Who made the first non-stop transcontinental flight in the Western
Hemisphere?

A: Robert Fowler, in a Gage Biplane, on April 27 1913. (That's
right, five months before the first loop.) According to

http://www.nasm.si.edu/research/aero...aft/fowler.htm

"Robert Fowler started his Isthmus of Pamana crossing with a takeoff
from the Atlantic side at 9:45 a.m. on April 27. It was an
extraordinarily dangerous flight, with no open areas available for
emergency landings between the takeoff point and the final
destination. Treacherous winds over the rough terrain and the
ever-present possibility of a sudden change in the weather compounded
the difficulties. Nevertheless, he completed the 83 km (52 mi) flight
in one hour and 45 minutes, landing with his passenger/cameraman, R.E.
Duhem, in the shallow water at Cristobal at 11:30. "

Don
Old December 8th 03, 10:16 PM
Gene Seibel

What did Lindbergh eat on his flight across the Atlantic.
--
Gene Seibel
Hangar 131 - http://pad39a.com/gene/plane.html

Old December 8th 03, 10:32 PM
Casey Wilson

What's the most number of propeller (reciprocating) engines every mounted
on one airplane?

Old December 9th 03, 12:08 AM
Bob Martin

Q - What country built the largest aircraft ever built? (Heavier than
air)

A - Russia (Former Soviet Union) TU-225

Almost... it's the An-225, not Tu-. Mryia is the Russian (or is it
Ukrainian?) name for it, meaning "Dream". The NATO codename is "Cossack."

Old December 9th 03, 12:49 AM
Jim Weir

Q. What do the numbers 120 and 852 have to do with aviation?

down

down

down

down

A. The length in feet of the first and last flights on 17 Dec 1903.

"Jay Honeck"

http://www.rst-engr.com
Old December 9th 03, 01:45 AM
Judah

Hi Jay!
Instead of having "generic" aviation questions, why not have questions
that lead the listener to your website to look for the answer. They
should probably be easy enough that some of the people driving home
should be able to get them if they are indeed aviation buffs, but that
for most people, if they want to win they will hit your site. This way,
even if you're giving away a room in the suite, the people who all called
in waiting probably hit your site and may come anyway...

I'm also not sure of how many listeners there are on the station, but you
probably want to leave enough room so that a listener believes he has
time to hop on the web and look up the answer before the game is over. So
the tenth caller may not work. I don't know if the 100th caller is too
much (here in NY, the radio stations in the 90's (92, 95, etc.) all use
the station count - eg: 92 uses the 92nd caller, 95 uses the 95th caller,
etc.)

I'm not sure if it's a 30 second spot or what, but perhaps somthing
like...

"The Wright Brothers Suite at the Alexis Park Inn is named after the
founders of modern aviation, George and Wilbur Wright. Today's 100th
Anniversary of Flight Trivia Question is... 'How long did that fateful
flight that took our country into the world of Powered Aviation last?'
Not sure of the answer? Just visit the Wright Brothers Suite at
www.AlexisParkInn.com, and you can find the answer there! That site again
is www.AlexisParkInn.com. The 100th caller gets a free one-night stay in
the Wright Brothers Suite or any suite of your choice, with Jacuzzi,
Breakfast Basket, yada, yada, yada."

Of course, a flair for the dramatic works well in NY... Not sure how it
takes in your neck of the woods. Oh, and you'd have to make sure to
embed the answer to the question somewhere on the page...

Second question might be something based on the Charles Lindburgh section
- "The Charles Lindburgh Suite at the Alexis Park Inn honors one of
America's most famous Aviators, Charles Lindburgh - the first man to fly
across the Atlantic in a single trip! Todays' 100th Anniversary of Flight
Trivia Question is... 'At what city did Lindburgh land after his fateful
and treacherous 33.5 hour trip?' Not sure of the answer? Just visit the
Charles Lindburgh Suite at www.AlexisParkInn.com, and you can find the
answer there!

One of the other posters made the comment that people can look up even
the toughest trivia questions in Google relatively quickly. So the best
bang for your buck would not necessarily be to get someone who knows a
lot about aviation. It would be to steer listeners to your website to get
them to rent rooms, even if their appreciation for aviation is only a
small piece of their significance... Of course, generating interest in
aviation might be a valuable side-effect.

Good luck!

Old December 9th 03, 02:16 AM
Bob Fry

"Jim" writes:

Alexander Graham Bell not only invented the telephone, but the modern day
aircraft bank control surfaces called ailerons

I thought that was Glenn Martin.
Old December 9th 03, 03:12 AM
Kevin Darling

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message news:QL0Bb.269543$Dw6.917079@attbi_s02...
I need some suggestions for aviation trivia questions, pronto! Who better
but you guys and gals to ask, no? :-)

Q. What year was the first transatlantic airplane flight?
A: 1919

Most people answer 1927 and Lindbergh, which is incorrect. He was first solo.

Actually, that's probably too hard a question :-)