OT I have lost a dear friend

Old March 2nd 06, 12:18 AM posted to alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim,rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student

Default OT I have lost a dear friend

With your kind permission I would like to take just a few lines here to say
goodbye to an old and dear friend.
This Monday, retired AF Brig Gen Robert L. Scott Jr. died. He was 97.
Scotty and I go way back together.
When I was a young boy dreaming about becoming a pilot, it was Bob's book
"God Is My Co-Pilot", an account of his exploits in China with Chennault
that was part of my inspiration.
Later on in life, as I became a bit known in aviation, we became friends,
and have remained so all through the fifty odd years I have been in
aviation.
When I founded the International Fighter Pilots Fellowship in 1971, Bob Noel
Bacon, and Anna Chennault for Gen Claire Lee Chennault, became out first
charter members.
Scotty's last job, at the Warner Robbins Aviation Museum in his beloved
Georgia, was the perfect setting for him to spend his last days. He loved
being there, and was always available to answer questions about aviation and
about his life and times.
I'll miss him. A wonderful guy.

"sic transit gloria mundi"

Thank you for taking the time to read this.

Dudley Henriques
For the International Fighter Pilots Fellowship

Old March 2nd 06, 12:27 AM posted to alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim,rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student

Dudley Henriques wrote:
With your kind permission I would like to take just a few lines here to say
goodbye to an old and dear friend.
This Monday, retired AF Brig Gen Robert L. Scott Jr. died. He was 97.
Scotty and I go way back together.

Dudley Henriques
For the International Fighter Pilots Fellowship

A friend with the credentials of AF Brig Gen Scott are worthy of note,
and the fact he was your friend, is very important to all of us. We
join you in your grief and salute him as the 'missing man' in the
historic aviation formation.

SnakeEyes

Old March 2nd 06, 01:11 AM posted to alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim,rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student

"Dudley Henriques" wrote in message
news
[...]

My admiration for BG Scott goes back years, ever since I was a young boy and
learned of his exploits with the Flying Tigers. May he rest in peace--he has
"put out his hand, and touched the face of God".

You are indeed fortunate to have known him as a close friend.

I saw an article in this morning's paper about his passing--but thanks for
letting us know.

Paul

Old March 2nd 06, 01:26 AM posted to alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim,rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student

Condolences from my family to you and yours Dudley.
97 is a great innings. It sounds like he was still an independent man. (I
mean not in a home or anything like that.) In my book, that's a sign of a
well lived life. My Grandfather is 96 this year and still goes for a walk
each day. Even vacuums the house for Grandma every week! :-)
Your friend will be added to my prayers.
Crash Lander

--
I'm not always right,
But I'm never wrong!

Old March 2nd 06, 01:41 AM posted to alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim,rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student

I'm sorry to hear of your loss Dudley. It is a lost to the entire
aviation community. Alas, noone lives forever and it sounds like he
has lived a full life.

The Monk

Old March 2nd 06, 02:11 AM posted to alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim,rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student

Dudley Henriques wrote:

I'll miss him. A wonderful guy.

You were blessed to have him as a friend. My condolences to you.

--
Peter
Old March 2nd 06, 03:10 AM posted to alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim,rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student

Definately ON TOPIC ..

IMHO...

Dave

Old March 2nd 06, 03:18 AM posted to alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim,rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student

You have given him a great tribute here in the forum, Dudley.

He was definitely a part of history given the fact that he knocked around
with the likes of Chennault! Wow! I would read and see snippets about
Chennault and the American Volunteer Group and those P-40's on the History
Channel. It all intrigues me.

He will be missed! He must have been quite a guy.

Mad Mike

Old March 2nd 06, 03:52 AM posted to alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim,rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student

In article et,
"Dudley Henriques" wrote:

[...]

Let us raise our glasses and toast to Gen. Scott!

I also read "God is my Co-Pilot" and enjoyed it. I hope that he did not
suffer in his last years, as I have seen family, in-laws and friends
reach that point -- it is not a pretty picture!

He is now flying with Jimmy Doolittle, the Wright Bros, Jimmy Stewart,
Billy Mitchell, Pappy Boyington and all the others, great and obscure,
who have gone before. I am sure that they are all swapping war stories
and telling lies!
Old March 2nd 06, 04:16 AM posted to alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim,rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student

"Flyingmonk" wrote,
Alas, no one lives forever ...

Or, perhaps, everyone lives forever.

Jon