Crows Landing Airport

Old August 28th 07, 03:37 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
buttman

Default Crows Landing Airport

Theres this really weird airport in my area called Crows landing. Its
charted on the sectional just like any other airport, except it had
the word "(CLOSED)" written underneath. Does anyone know why they
chose to chart is like that and not the normal circle with an "X"
through it?

I've been doing some googling, and this is what I have learned about
the airport: It was first a Navy airport in WWII, used to train Navy
pilots. After the war, it was used as an auxiliary base (whatever that
means, I'm not a military type). In 1993, the Navy gave it to NASA,
and they used it primarily for testing certain technologies they were
working on. NASA apparently closed it in 1999 because they couldn't
afford it anymore. Now, the county owns it and uses it for training
police officers and stuff. I also found some Usenet postings where
people talked about flying RC planes from the field.

Anyways, I found this little blurb from this website:
http://www.airfields-freeman.com/CA/...lley.htm#crows

Jack Daley reported in 2003 that " [...] The airfield is X'd off, but
local trainers still shoot occasional touch & go's."

Are you allowed to do that? Land at an airport that is charted as
"closed"? As long as the runways are in good condition (which they
are), is it OK to land there? Can the FAA bust you for any violation
for doing something like that? I've always been interested in historic
things, and I'd love to go a quick t&g there, but I don't want to get
in trouble. Or at least it seems like a great place to do practice
emergency landings...

Old August 28th 07, 12:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
B A R R Y[_2_]

buttman wrote:
Theres this really weird airport in my area called Crows landing. Its
charted on the sectional just like any other airport, except it had
the word "(CLOSED)" written underneath. Does anyone know why they
chose to chart is like that and not the normal circle with an "X"
through it?

Navigation landmark and emergency purposes.

Are you allowed to do that? Land at an airport that is charted as
"closed"? As long as the runways are in good condition (which they
are), is it OK to land there?

No.

Can the FAA bust you for any violation
for doing something like that?

Yup.

I thought you were a CFI?

Old August 28th 07, 02:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_19_]

buttman wrote in news:1188268654.632284.311580
@i38g2000prf.googlegroups.com:

Theres this really weird airport in my area called Crows landing. Its
charted on the sectional just like any other airport, except it had
the word "(CLOSED)" written underneath. Does anyone know why they
chose to chart is like that and not the normal circle with an "X"
through it?

Because they know you won't fly there and **** up their traffic pattern?

Bertie

Old August 28th 07, 03:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Big John

Buttman

In 1955 I was a USAF exchange pilot to Navy tail hook Squadron, VF-23,
(F2H-3 Big Banshee) stationed at Moffett Field.

We used Crows Landing for simulated carrier approaches and landing
training along with LSO training.

Big John

Old August 28th 07, 07:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
BillJ

B A R R Y wrote:

buttman wrote:

Theres this really weird airport in my area called Crows landing. Its
charted on the sectional just like any other airport, except it had
the word "(CLOSED)" written underneath. Does anyone know why they
chose to chart is like that and not the normal circle with an "X"
through it?

Navigation landmark and emergency purposes.

Are you allowed to do that? Land at an airport that is charted as

"closed"? As long as the runways are in good condition (which they
are), is it OK to land there?

No.

Can the FAA bust you for any violation
for doing something like that?

Yup.

I thought you were a CFI?

What FAR says you can't land "off airport"?
Old August 28th 07, 08:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
B A R R Y[_2_]

BillJ wrote:

What FAR says you can't land "off airport"?

I really don't know, but people have received enforcement actions for
landing at closed fields, without an emergency, accidentally, in my
area. They were usually mistaking the larger, closed field for the
smaller, open field on the other side of a river.

I have a feeling there's off-airport, and "closed" airport.

Perhaps the violations weren't of FAR's?
Old August 28th 07, 10:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
GeorgeB

What FAR says you can't land "off airport"?

I really don't know, but people have received enforcement actions for
landing at closed fields, without an emergency, accidentally, in my
area. They were usually mistaking the larger, closed field for the
smaller, open field on the other side of a river.

I have a feeling there's off-airport, and "closed" airport.

Perhaps the violations weren't of FAR's?

I wonder how the sailplanes handle their landouts ...
Old August 28th 07, 11:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
buttman

On Aug 28, 12:09 pm, B A R R Y wrote:
BillJ wrote:

What FAR says you can't land "off airport"?

I really don't know, but people have received enforcement actions for
landing at closed fields, without an emergency, accidentally, in my
area. They were usually mistaking the larger, closed field for the
smaller, open field on the other side of a river.

I have a feeling there's off-airport, and "closed" airport.

Perhaps the violations weren't of FAR's?

Were these "closed airports" in your area abandoned, or were they
closed because they were doing repairs or demolitions or something?

There have been airports in my area that have been closed for a few
days while work has been the runway, and other various reasons. I can
see the FAA going after people who land when work like that is being
done for various safety reasons, but Crows Landing is totally
abandoned. Landing there isn't going to effect anyone else's safety.
Every account I've come upon has said the place is pretty much
completely abandoned.

Its like landing in a grass field some place in the middle of nowhere,
just for fun. As far as I'm aware, as long as you're not putting
anyone in danger, and the place is not populated, it's perfectly legal.

Old August 28th 07, 11:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
buttman

On Aug 28, 7:56 am, Big John wrote:
Buttman

In 1955 I was a USAF exchange pilot to Navy tail hook Squadron, VF-23,
(F2H-3 Big Banshee) stationed at Moffett Field.

We used Crows Landing for simulated carrier approaches and landing
training along with LSO training.

Yeah, I read about those carrier markings. Do you ever get the urge to
there before, yet I somehow have the urge. Its weird that a place like
that, which so many people put so much effort into and was once such a
great, active airport can become so neglected. I don't know, I kind of
feel sorry for it.

Old August 29th 07, 02:38 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Big John

Buttman

Never thought about going back. There wasn't anything there even then
except R/W. I'd fly more pilots and LSO's over in a SNB. Moffett would
drive a fuel truck over and two pilots would fly two birds in. After
two pilots finished their practice, birds were refueled and two more
pilots got in and flew a practice mission.

Pilots not flying would stand with LSO as he guided birds in and
listen as he critiqued the technique of those flying.

At end of day I'd take the SNB and fly pilots without birds back to
Moffett.

All a long time ago in a land far away.

As I recall, the field was an Aux field during WWII with no build up
on it. Just R/W.

Big John