IFR GPS certification

Old February 26th 05, 12:29 AM
Jon A.

Buy the unit and have it installed as VFR. When you get the extra
bucks, add pieces until you have everything that you need. The other
alternative is to check and see whether or not you'll need an
annunciator and switching panel if you use a Garmin 430. If you don't
need these items it may be more cost effective to go with the 430.

On Fri, 25 Feb 2005 04:23:56 GMT, "nobody" wrote:

We're based at KIWS (West Houston).

In my ignorance I was hoping to get into an IFR GPS at the low end. It
appears that the low end is still above my top end. I'd love to have a 430,
480, 530, etc.. but just can't justify the cost in a Warrior. We're in the
middle of doing paint, interior and coming up quickly on annual. I can't
spend that much more money on the GPS now. Some of the P&I will come back
in the resale but the avionics won't.

A portable is looking pretty tempting right now.

Ed

"Helen Woods" wrote in message
Where are you based at? Maybe we can help you find a better priced shop. I
saved a couple thousand on my 530 by shopping around.

Also, check e-bay. The used boxes don't have a Garmin warrenty but there
are a good number of 430s floating around with people upgrading to either
530s or 480s.

And in answer to your question, an IFR GPS does cost an arm and a leg.
Expect to sell a few more body parts too to pay for the database
subscription that makes it legal.

Helen

Old February 26th 05, 02:37 AM
Robert M. Gary

That's why everyone likes the 430. Everything is built in, you don't
need the external stuff. You can find used ones on ebay. If you have an
old KX-170B, the hole should fit a 430 (and it does the nav/com the
170B did). Labor depends on where you live. In California, expect to
pay around $7000 for installation and certification.

-Robert

Old February 26th 05, 04:33 PM
Aaron Coolidge

Robert M. Gary wrote:
: That's why everyone likes the 430. Everything is built in, you don't
: need the external stuff. You can find used ones on ebay. If you have an
: old KX-170B, the hole should fit a 430 (and it does the nav/com the
: 170B did). Labor depends on where you live. In California, expect to
: pay around $7000 for installation and certification.

Shops here in New England are getting about $12K for a NEW 430 and a NEW
Garmin CDI (106?) installed and IFR certified. $3k more for a 530.
--
Aaron C.

Old February 27th 05, 03:04 AM
abripl

Yes the 430 includes VOR, GS but you still need the extenal indicator
and annunciator according to the the manual I downloaded from Garmin.

Old February 28th 05, 04:07 PM
Mike Rapoport

"abripl" wrote in message
oups.com...
Yes the 430 includes VOR, GS but you still need the extenal indicator
and annunciator according to the the manual I downloaded from Garmin.

You don't need an external annunciator if the 430 is mounted within the
pilots normal field of view.

Mike
MU-2