Cherokee 140b wing removal.

Old June 24th 10, 04:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bruce

Default Cherokee 140b wing removal.

Hello All,
I have a 1969 Cherokee 140b that is going thru the annual inspection
with a
new A&P this year. The airplane suffered damage the left wing when it
hit a
deer on takeoff in 1972. It was repaired and has flown ever since. The
problem
is the new A&P insists that the wings must be removed and inspected by
him or he
won't sign off on the inspection. He plans on charging me at least
$1500 per
wing. He says it will take about 32 hours per wing for labor. I think
he is
just running up the bill. Is this necessary at all? Should take that
long to
inspect? I'd appreciate any wisdom you guys might share. Thanks
Old June 24th 10, 05:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

On Jun 24, 10:46*am, Bruce wrote:
Hello All,
I have a 1969 Cherokee 140b that is going thru the annual inspection
with a
new A&P this year. The airplane suffered damage the left wing when it
hit a
deer on takeoff in 1972. It was repaired and has flown ever since. The
problem
is the new A&P insists that the wings must be removed and inspected by
him or he
won't sign off on the inspection. He plans on charging me at least
$1500 per
wing. He says it will take about 32 hours per wing for labor. I think
he is
just running up the bill. Is this necessary at all? Should take that
long to
inspect? I'd appreciate any wisdom you guys might share. Thanks

If it was declared airworthy after repairs from the accident and
annotated as such on the airframe logs, then I would be looking for
another A&P unless (big one at this) there is a recurring AD requiring
some type of inspection.

I can't imagine this though myself but take this thought with a grain
of salt since I used to own a Sundowner and I am not an A&P.
Old June 24th 10, 05:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Agent Gibbs

On Jun 24, 11:46*am, Bruce wrote:

The airplane suffered damage to the left wing when it hit a
deer on takeoff in 1972. It was repaired and has flown ever since.

I find it implausable that you hit a flying deer. Let me
guess, it was Christmas eve.

---
Mark
Old June 25th 10, 11:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
RST Engineering[_2_]

On Thu, 24 Jun 2010 08:46:07 -0700 (PDT), Bruce
wrote:

Hello All,
I have a 1969 Cherokee 140b that is going thru the annual inspection
with a
new A&P this year. The airplane suffered damage the left wing when it
hit a
deer on takeoff in 1972. It was repaired and has flown ever since. The
problem
is the new A&P insists that the wings must be removed and inspected by
him or he
won't sign off on the inspection. He plans on charging me at least
$1500 per
wing. He says it will take about 32 hours per wing for labor. I think
he is
just running up the bill. Is this necessary at all? Should take that
long to
inspect? I'd appreciate any wisdom you guys might share. Thanks

1. A&Ps don't do annuals. IAs do.

2. Who signed off the repair on the damage? Did the signer have A&P
after their name?

3. Is there any indication in the repair documentation that
repetitive inspections should be required.

4. Is there any indication of the repair not working, like buckled
skin, cracks in the skin, puffed up paint around rivet heads?

5. Is there a reason that BOTH wings need to come off? Was there any
damage to the starboard wing?

If the IA can't give you a reason why (s)he wants to remove the wings
if the above 5 check out OK, I'd start looking for another IA.
Googling the FAA database sorted by zip code ought to be a good place
to start.

Jim
A&P, IA, CFI (A&G)
Old July 18th 10, 10:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Brian Whatcott

On 6/24/2010 10:46 AM, Bruce wrote:
Hello All,
I have a 1969 Cherokee 140b that is going thru the annual inspection
with a
new A&P this year. The airplane suffered damage the left wing when it
hit a
deer on takeoff in 1972. It was repaired and has flown ever since. The
problem
is the new A&P insists that the wings must be removed and inspected by
him or he
won't sign off on the inspection. He plans on charging me at least
$1500 per
wing. He says it will take about 32 hours per wing for labor. I think
he is
just running up the bill. Is this necessary at all? Should take that
long to
inspect? I'd appreciate any wisdom you guys might share. Thanks

Did you inquire about costs before the Annual?
If the A&P gave you a cost excluding unexpected findings, then you still
have the option of asking for the standard annual to be completed at the
agreed price, and having another A&P execute the extra work.
It is reasonable for an A&P to not want to sign off an annual if he does
not like what he sees.
It is your option (ALWAYS) to choose who executes work on your aircraft.
It can be awkward if there is only one A&P with AI on a given field,
so that can feel like being held to ransom, no doubt.
You caqn probably find someone to travel in to inspect, at a pinch.

Good luck!

Brian W
Old July 18th 10, 10:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Brian Whatcott

wrote:

[...]

IAs sign off annuals. Owners or A&Ps can contribute to the annual,
though one or two FAA inspectors seem to hold a different opinion.