Oshkosh questions

Old February 19th 05, 07:51 AM
Jack Allison

Random thoughts and, hopefully, not stuff already answered...

- Visit www.ariventure.org...a lot. Tons of great info. there.

- Download the NOTAM (available from the airventure website). Read it,
highlight it, sleep with it under your pillow, have it in the plane when
you make the arrival. If the size of the NOTAM scares you, drive or fly
commercially. I'm serious!

- Hit avweb and search for Rick Durden's past articles about Oshkosh.
Great stuff. One very sobering article but well worth the read (and
you'll understand why I say if the NOTAM scares you, drive.

- Arriving a day before the show starts has worked for us the past two
years. Another option is to wait until about day three or four as lots
of spots open up in the north-40 after the first couple of days.

- Figure out where folks that frequent the newsgroups come from and pick
their brains routes, places to stop for gas and/or hotel (*if* the
NOTAM doesn't scare you and you fly in :-) )

- IMHO, no matter how many days you plan for the first time you go, you
won't see everything, you'll be dead tired after each day but you'll
have the biggest grin on your face and you'll want to come back the next
year and the year after that and the year after that and...

- If you fly in (ya, after the NOTAM thing), have somebody else in the
plane. As many mark-one eyeballs looking outside as possible helps.

- Ask tons of questions since there are many folks like Jay H. who have
gone to Oshkosh for the past zillion years or so. I'm a mere newbie
with only two years under my belt.

Congrats on the decision to go. Next to deciding to learn to fly, doing
something like this is a great PIC decision :-)
--
Jack Allison
PP-ASEL-IA Student-Arrow shopping student

you will always long to return"
- Leonardo Da Vinci

Old February 19th 05, 09:09 AM
ET

Here's links to the mentioned columns... a must read:

http://www.avweb.com/news/columns/182691-1.html

http://www.avweb.com/news/osh2002/181590-1.html

-ET

Jack Allison wrote in
k.net:

Old February 19th 05, 04:44 PM
RST Engineering

Jack, you are coming from Sacramento, aren't you? Wanna convoy this year?
The blueonblue182 is leaving on Saturday to hit Jay's pool party in Iowa
City on Sunday into Oshkosh on Monday.

Leaving Saturday after the EAA meeting and election for a straight flight
home -- usually East Undershirt Nebraska the first day and home on Sunday.

BTW, that link is www.airventure.com Note the typo?

Jim

k.net...

Old February 19th 05, 07:57 PM
Ron Natalie

Paul wrote:
Plan no more than 3 full days for the first time. You will be exausted !!

I disagree...I only spent 3 days my first time and was ready for more
but my ride was leaving...

Old February 19th 05, 09:01 PM
RST Engineering

Yes, of course. Duhh. My dumb.

Jim

"Jon Woellhaf" wrote in message
Isn't it www.airventure.org?

Old February 19th 05, 09:51 PM
Morgans

"Ron Natalie" wrote in message
Paul wrote:
Plan no more than 3 full days for the first time. You will be exausted

!!

I disagree...I only spent 3 days my first time and was ready for more
but my ride was leaving...

I thought I was the only one....

I go for 6 days, and have always gone away wishing I had 3 or 4 more days.
Yes, you get tired, but it is a "good" tired! g

For my money, you can't beat camping on the field. Showers suck, but if you
bring enough food and a way to keep stuff cold, you can't beat getting up
and being there, and the ability to go to camp to eat and rest, and party,
if you want.
--
Jim in NC

Old February 19th 05, 10:29 PM
John T

Jim, remember Oshkosh starts on Monday this year.

Jay, how is this gonna affect your pool party?

John

Old February 20th 05, 04:24 AM
Jay Honeck

Jim, remember Oshkosh starts on Monday this year.

Jay, how is this gonna affect your pool party?

Our fly-in pool party will be on Saturday (rather than Sunday) this year, to
allow everyone to arrive in OSH one day early, as prescribed by both
tradition and common sense.

The rec.aviation party at our campsite will still be on Wednesday though,
methinks. Or does that interfere with your other parties, Jim? Montblack?
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old February 20th 05, 04:32 AM
Morgans

"Jay Honeck" wrote

The rec.aviation party at our campsite will still be on Wednesday though,
methinks. Or does that interfere with your other parties, Jim?

Montblack?
--
Jay Honeck

Works for me, I think. I usually have problems trying to plan my day
tomorrow, so planning a day in July?..... g
--
Jim in NC