Oshkosh questions

Old February 20th 05, 05:05 AM
Montblack

("Morgans" wrote)
Works for me, I think. I usually have problems trying to plan my day
tomorrow, so planning a day in July?..... g

Jim, are you bringing the monster grill again? Like to see that puppy fired
up this year!! Depending what The Group wants - we'll keep some things the
same and change other things.

Pre-cooked brats is one addition.
Watermelon: Too much darn work, not enough interest. Plus they weren't very
good last year.

No big pickle jar!
Cheese didn't go over very well (sorry Wisconsin)
Maybe some small steaks this year. What the Heck, it's vacation.

July is just around the corner. Who am I kidding, we're going to get 5-7
inches of snow tonight!!

Montblack

Old February 20th 05, 05:23 AM
Jay Honeck

Jim, are you bringing the monster grill again? Like to see that puppy
fired up this year!! Depending what The Group wants - we'll keep some
things the same and change other things.

Man, I'd like to see that danged thing in action, too. All I caught was a
glimpse of it last year, as Jim pulled away with that Volkswagen-sized
trailer/grill in tow... (Not that we had a shortage of grills, mind you...)

Pre-cooked brats is one addition.

Ya, hey, one time dere. Brats+Wisconsin=Good eatin'...

Watermelon: Too much darn work, not enough interest. Plus they weren't
very good last year.

Agreed. Anything that can even remotely be construed as "healthy" probably
has no place at OSH, anyway...

Cheese didn't go over very well (sorry Wisconsin)

What? Says who? I really liked the cheese, but there was so danged much
food (thanks to the feast you brought) who could eat cheese, too? :-)

Maybe some small steaks this year. What the Heck, it's vacation.

Steaks? Did someone say "steaks"? I'm always up for steaks, although
getting them cooked to everyone's liking is always a challenge. Jim, does
that monster grill have a "steak setting"??

July is just around the corner. Who am I kidding, we're going to get 5-7
inches of snow tonight!!

Whew! We are luckily (supposedly -- the night is still young) on the "rain"
side of this storm. We'll see...

Think Spring! OSH is only ~100 days away!
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old February 20th 05, 05:30 AM
Morgans

"Montblack" wrote

Jim, are you bringing the monster grill again? Like to see that puppy

fired
up this year!! Depending what The Group wants - we'll keep some things the
same and change other things.

Pre-cooked brats is one addition.
Watermelon: Too much darn work, not enough interest. Plus they weren't

very
good last year.

No big pickle jar!
Cheese didn't go over very well (sorry Wisconsin)
Maybe some small steaks this year. What the Heck, it's vacation.

July is just around the corner. Who am I kidding, we're going to get 5-7
inches of snow tonight!!

Montblack

Planning on bringing the MOAG! (mother of all grills) I'll make *Darn Sure*
there is no confusion this year.

Might I make a suggestion of cooking a chunk of pig? Real life NC pig
pickin' that we are famous for! Either picked, or shredded, by electric
shredder. With vinegar (Eastern NC) or barbeque (Western NC), or even just
plain, picked off, falling off the bone! Mmmmm, gooo-ooood!

What say ye all? ;-)

If not that, it cooks anything well, and room for lots of it. (Around 18
square feet)
--
Jim in NC

Old February 20th 05, 05:40 AM
Jay Honeck

Might I make a suggestion of cooking a chunk of pig? Real life NC pig
pickin' that we are famous for! Either picked, or shredded, by electric
shredder. With vinegar (Eastern NC) or barbeque (Western NC), or even just
plain, picked off, falling off the bone! Mmmmm, gooo-ooood!

What say ye all? ;-)

Oh, man, Jim -- now you're TALKING!

However, I can see some problems. Cooking a pig, delectable though it may
be, takes many hours. Trucking big grills into the North 40 is already a
marginally "legal" thing to do at OSH -- do you really think we can leave
that big ol' thing running all day, unattended, in the middle of 12,000
parked airplanes?

And, assuming not, who is going to volunteer to travel all the way to OSH,
only to spend a day baby-sitting a pig on a spit?

Perhaps brats and steaks -- although clearly inferior -- is the better way
to go? Or is there a quicker way to grill a pig?
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old February 20th 05, 06:00 AM
Morgans

[...]

Nope, no way to rush a pig!. As far as the babysitting the cooking goes, I
have a plan.

Our Aviation Explorer posts all take a day doing KP, which is cooking and
cleaning up for all of the camp, which is around 100 plus. We have talked
about doing pig for the whole base. All we have to do is take Wednesday for
our cooking day. I only have to be around for one meal; (by splitting up
the meals among our members) the others can help do the all day cooking,
sitting legally inside the Explorer compound.

We would also have an out for bringing the grill in, so if it can't come in,
we can just carry the hog in via van, and eat it out of the pan, instead of
out of the pan on the grill.

It is pretty easy to cook, anyway, and once the temperature stabilizes, you
just let it do it's thing!
--
Jim in NC

Old February 20th 05, 07:06 AM
RST Engineering

No, Gail and I can't spend ten days away from the business, and I have this
little EAA meeting/election on Saturday morning that I have to attend.

We aren't getting to the gig until Wednesday, and aren't planning on a dorm
party this year, so Wednesday night will be just fine. We'll miss your pool
party, but Gail wants to stop by your place on the way home, Saturday night
if the weather gods smile on us. Got an open room?

Jim

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message
Jim, remember Oshkosh starts on Monday this year.

Jay, how is this gonna affect your pool party?

Our fly-in pool party will be on Saturday (rather than Sunday) this year,
to allow everyone to arrive in OSH one day early, as prescribed by both
tradition and common sense.

The rec.aviation party at our campsite will still be on Wednesday though,
methinks. Or does that interfere with your other parties, Jim?
Montblack?
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old February 20th 05, 08:02 AM
Blanche Cohen

The other option is to find a BBQ company in the area and order
the pig. They'll deliver it (with all the fixins) at the time
and location you request. No one needs to babysit. No one needs
to cook.

The only requirements a
1) someone to act as coordinator for dinner reservations and take the money
IN ADVANCE so no one gets stuck for the bill
2) someone to take care of the logistics of finding the BBQ company,
making the order
3) someone to either go fetch to goodies or be someplace where the
company can deliver

It's not difficult. Check out the Bo group last year at

www.b2osh.org/Reviews/review_2004.htm

Old February 20th 05, 02:10 PM
Jay Honeck

We aren't getting to the gig until Wednesday, and aren't planning on a
dorm party this year, so Wednesday night will be just fine.

Wednesday it is, then!

We'll miss your pool party, but Gail wants to stop by your place on the
way home, Saturday night if the weather gods smile on us. Got an open
room?

Oh, I'll bet we do. We FINALLY have live, on-line booking now, so you can
actually check availability LIVE at our website, www.AlexisParkInn.com

Don't book there, though. As I've told everyone 100 times, you'll ALWAYS
get a better deal talking to the hotel owner than you will at
"Travelocity"... Just give me a buzz, or drop me an email!
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old February 20th 05, 04:09 PM
Jay Honeck

The other option is to find a BBQ company in the area and order
the pig. They'll deliver it (with all the fixins) at the time
and location you request. No one needs to babysit. No one needs
to cook.

Now Blanche, you're messing with the male instinct to kill and cook
dead animals. It's ultimately up to Jim and Montblack (who, after all,
are the only ones here who can haul grills into OSH), but I personally
prefer home cookin'!

It's not difficult. Check out the Bo group last year at

You coming this year, Blanche?
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old February 20th 05, 05:36 PM
John T

As a native Wisconsinite, I'd have to agree about the cheese...slices of
cheese on a warm day just don't seem appetitzing to me.
Other snack foods, crackers (ritz!), sausage slices, chips, etc are good
though.