My first very long x-country

Old March 3rd 05, 09:48 PM
tbm700

Default My first very long x-country

Dear All,

I would like to do VFR coast to coast cross country in my C172. The
starting point will be in caldwell(CDW), New Jersey and will end my
journey at Hayward Executive(HWD), California. Does anyone has any
experience or route suggestion?

Thanks,
Paul

Old March 3rd 05, 10:04 PM

tbm700 wrote:
Dear All,

I would like to do VFR coast to coast cross country in my C172. The
starting point will be in caldwell(CDW), New Jersey and will end my
journey at Hayward Executive(HWD), California. Does anyone has any
experience or route suggestion?

Thanks,
Paul

The March issue of AOPA Pilot had an artcle by a guy that did it you
might want to read (unless of course that's what motivated you in the
first place).

--
Jim Pennino

Remove -spam-sux to reply.
Old March 3rd 05, 10:05 PM
Montblack

("tbm700" wrote)
I would like to do VFR coast to coast cross country in my C172. The
starting point will be in caldwell(CDW), New Jersey and will end my
journey at Hayward Executive(HWD), California.

When are you thinking of making the trip?
Solo? Buddy? Honey? Kids? Mut?

How much of this trip is sightseeing?
How much is get-there?

How much time might be budgeted for your journey?

Sounds fun.

Montblack

Old March 4th 05, 12:33 AM
Dude

"tbm700" wrote in message
oups.com...
Dear All,

I would like to do VFR coast to coast cross country in my C172. The
starting point will be in caldwell(CDW), New Jersey and will end my
journey at Hayward Executive(HWD), California. Does anyone has any
experience or route suggestion?

Thanks,
Paul

My only experience is to take the southern route through the Rockies.
Following I-10 means an off field landing will not necessarily result in a
slow painful death.

If you use the AOPA flight planner, and plan your flight using airways, you
can check to make sure your 172 can make the MEA's or at least MOCA's.

If you want to save fuel, watch the weather patterns for a good High to
change the winds in your favor. This happens every few weeks this time of
year.

Take a digital camera if you can and a survival kit. Borrow a hand held
radio if you can, and if you were thinking about a portable GPS purchase,
splurge for one of the new ones with terrain.

Take a friend.

Old March 4th 05, 03:11 AM
Jay Honeck

Does anyone has any experience or route suggestion?

Well, Paul, my copy of "Destination Direct" flight planning software routes
that flight almost directly over Iowa City.

I suggest you drop by for a cold one!

:-)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old March 4th 05, 04:20 AM
vincent p. norris

Does anyone has any experience or route suggestion?

Two routes I've used:

Northern: Your choice of routes to Iowa City and then to southern
Wyoming. Follow I 80 across southern Wyoming; terrain is around 7000
msl but relatively flat; easy flying. Then via Helena and Missoula,
Montana, and west to Seattle. Then down the coast (or inland) to
Hayward.

Southern: Your choice of routes to Iowa City and then to Las Vegas,
New Mexico. Then to Winslow, see the meteor carter; follow the Grand
Canyon(buy a Grand Canyon chart) down to Kingman, Arizona, and
Needles, California; west to Bakersfield, then up to Hayward. (That
last leg is pretty boring.)

vince norris
Old March 4th 05, 04:25 AM
tbm700

thanks for the tip Jim...I'll checking that out

Old March 4th 05, 04:28 AM
tbm700

Not a hurry trip Montblack.....want to take 2 weeks off from work and
flying to see friend in Hayward.

Old March 4th 05, 04:30 AM
tbm700

I'll sure will Jay......

Old March 4th 05, 04:31 AM
tbm700

Thank for great advice Vince....will check route of flight according to
our suggestion.

Cross Country the main focus of soaring? mat Redsell Soaring 77 October 18th 04 10:40 PM
Does China have long range bombers? Mike Military Aviation 10 May 24th 04 02:16 AM
Flying the Santa Fe Trail Story: long JJS Piloting 19 April 9th 04 02:02 AM
Pirep: New toys (long) JJS Piloting 9 March 13th 04 01:55 PM
First flight with my wife! (long) Wily Wapiti Piloting 8 August 30th 03 05:57 PM