My first very long x-country

Old March 4th 05, 05:17 AM
Blanche

You may want to check out this month's AOPA magazine. Don Weber's
article about his flight is there.

Old March 4th 05, 02:40 PM
FlyWithTwo

Hi Paul,
I live in the Denver area and have done most of your route in two
pieces. I went to Kingman, AZ in May 2002 and to Harrisburg, PA in
June 2002. My routes we

To Walsenburg, CO then over LaVeta Pass toward Alamosa, CO. This is
one of the lower and easier passes through the Rockies. Alamosa is in
the San Luis Valley. Go south to the Taos VOR, then head west to
Farmington, NM, then parallel the south side of the Grand Canyon to
Kingman, AZ. There is one ridge that you have to pop over just before
going in to Kingman. I think another post tells how to get from
Kingman to Hayward.

NJ to Colorado. Climb to 4500 and head west. Once the sectionals
start to turn from green to tan, start climbing in 2000 ft steps. You
can pretty much go over LaVeta pass at 11000 and descend back down once
you get over the valley. Have a safe trip.

Brian
N3827X

Old March 4th 05, 04:34 PM
Blanche

FlyWithTwo wrote:

NJ to Colorado. Climb to 4500 and head west. Once the sectionals
start to turn from green to tan, start climbing in 2000 ft steps. You
can pretty much go over LaVeta pass at 11000 and descend back down once
you get over the valley. Have a safe trip.

The road over LaVeta is at 9000 ft MSL. And the mountain peaks on either
side as you fly thru the pass will be above you. Plus, you'll be
out of radio contact with ATC for about 10-15 min. But stay on
flight following before and after. They'll give you the freqs just
before you lose contact.

ALS is not towered but it's got a great avionics shop.

CHECK THE WEATHER! The valley is known for snow storms. Also, if
there are any forest fires in the area, the visibility gets a bit
murky. You can still see everything but there's a definite haze.

If the weather is bad in the valley, head south to LVS-TAFOY-SAF
then it's the same route Brian described.

Old March 4th 05, 05:01 PM
George Patterson

tbm700 wrote:

I would like to do VFR coast to coast cross country in my C172. The
starting point will be in caldwell(CDW), New Jersey and will end my
journey at Hayward Executive(HWD), California. Does anyone has any
experience or route suggestion?

You might want to read "Flight of Passage", by Rinker Buck. Not that you would
want to follow his route exactly, but there might be a few pointers for you in
there. In any case, it's a decent read.

George Patterson
I prefer Heaven for climate but Hell for company.
Old March 4th 05, 05:04 PM
jsmith

I am still trying to figure out how I am going to get my 65 HP Champ to
fly that route. It's wheezing at 5500.

Old March 4th 05, 05:43 PM
xyzzy

Ride the thermals!

It helps if you have glider experience

Old March 4th 05, 06:10 PM

vincent p. norris wrote:

Southern: Your choice of routes to Iowa City and then to Las Vegas,
New Mexico. Then to Winslow, see the meteor carter; follow the Grand
Canyon(buy a Grand Canyon chart) down to Kingman, Arizona, and
Needles, California; west to Bakersfield, then up to Hayward. (That
last leg is pretty boring.)

One comment on the Southern route. If weather is a factor you can
get to lower terrain (i.e. better cloud clearance) by going South in
New Mexico and picking up I-10 west. You can easily follow it at 6,500
ft. as far as Tuscon, then it's all down hill from there on into CA.

John Galban=====N4BQ (PA28-180)

Old March 4th 05, 08:54 PM
tbm700

Thank so lot you guys...I'm in planning stage, will not taking off
until early next month. Any tips, advised, or suggestion are more than
welcome.

Happy flying
Paul.

Old March 5th 05, 01:51 AM
vincent p. norris

Thank for great advice Vince....will check route of flight according to
our suggestion.

Yer welcome! I strove for brevity; if you have any questions about
details, feel free to email me: .

(Before April 5, when I leave for Europe.)

vince norris

Cross Country the main focus of soaring? mat Redsell Soaring 77 October 18th 04 10:40 PM
Does China have long range bombers? Mike Military Aviation 10 May 24th 04 02:16 AM
Flying the Santa Fe Trail Story: long JJS Piloting 19 April 9th 04 02:02 AM
Pirep: New toys (long) JJS Piloting 9 March 13th 04 01:55 PM
First flight with my wife! (long) Wily Wapiti Piloting 8 August 30th 03 05:57 PM