Altnerator and landing light

Old March 4th 05, 12:18 AM
Robert M. Gary

Default Altnerator and landing light

I have a 70amp alternator in my Mooney. I find that when I turn on the
landing light, the voltage drops down to around 13.0 volts or less.
During off the landing light brings it back to 14.5 volts. The Mooney
Factory Service Center is telling me this is normal. They said Mooney
didn't design the plane to fly around under the continuous load of the
landing light.

Opinions??

-Robert

Old March 4th 05, 03:02 AM

On 3-Mar-2005, "Robert M. Gary" wrote:

I have a 70amp alternator in my Mooney. I find that when I turn on the
landing light, the voltage drops down to around 13.0 volts or less.
During off the landing light brings it back to 14.5 volts.

Where are you measuring the voltage?
--
-Elliott Drucker
Old March 4th 05, 05:56 AM

Robert M. Gary wrote:
I have a 70amp alternator in my Mooney. I find that when I turn on

the
landing light, the voltage drops down to around 13.0 volts or less.
During off the landing light brings it back to 14.5 volts. The Mooney
Factory Service Center is telling me this is normal. They said Mooney
didn't design the plane to fly around under the continuous load of

the
landing light.

Opinions??

-Robert

Mooney should be ashamed of such a statement. I will wait for your
answer to "where did you check the voltage" but for a thorough reply,
where did you measure it, what else was on (what was the load on the
alternator) and what lamp (s) are we talking about? 4509 or Q4509
type require about 9 amps each. If you are measuring at the lamp, I
would expect the drop you saw.

Neal

Old March 4th 05, 02:51 PM

Robert M. Gary wrote:
: I have a 70amp alternator in my Mooney. I find that when I turn on the
: landing light, the voltage drops down to around 13.0 volts or less.
: During off the landing light brings it back to 14.5 volts. The Mooney
: Factory Service Center is telling me this is normal. They said Mooney
: didn't design the plane to fly around under the continuous load of the
: landing light.

: Opinions??

That isn't unusual to have reduced voltage output under load at low RPM.
What RPM brings it back up to 14v or so? Remember that even at 13v, you aren't
discharging the battery... it's not discharging until you're less than 12-12.5 or so.
It's just that the alternator isn't able to put out it's full voltage under that
current load. Depending on the state of charge of the battery, there's a 1-2v
difference between "appreciable current into battery" (i.e. charging), and
"appreciable current out of battery" (i.e. discharging).

-Cory

* Cory Papenfuss *

Old March 4th 05, 06:00 PM
Nathan Young

On 3 Mar 2005 16:18:46 -0800, "Robert M. Gary"
wrote:

I have a 70amp alternator in my Mooney. I find that when I turn on the
landing light, the voltage drops down to around 13.0 volts or less.
During off the landing light brings it back to 14.5 volts. The Mooney
Factory Service Center is telling me this is normal. They said Mooney
didn't design the plane to fly around under the continuous load of the
landing light.

I would be very surprised if that is normal behavior. What kind of
loads does the ammeter indicate? (With the landing light on/off).

-Nathan

Old March 4th 05, 08:05 PM

Nathan Young wrote:
: I would be very surprised if that is normal behavior. What kind of
: loads does the ammeter indicate? (With the landing light on/off).

If there's a voltmeter (built-in), chances are there *isn't* an ammeter.
Also, alternators do not put out their full rated current capacity until somewhere
above idle. The will put out *something*, but won't be able to regulate beyond full
field current. Also, the regulators in alternators are typically proportional
control, so by definition they have a steady-state error that's proportional to the
load being drawn.

-Cory

* Cory Papenfuss *

Old March 4th 05, 10:25 PM
jsmith

I don't know what the trip voltage is, but the under voltage light on
the panel of the C182 I fly comes on below 800 RPM with only the
avionics and rotating beacon.

Old March 4th 05, 11:29 PM

Certified airplanes with alternators are supposed to be able to
handle ALL constant loads at the same time. Adding up all the radio and
light and pitot heat and whatever else current daws should come to
something less than alternator capacity. A drop from 14.5 to 13 volts
is a BIG drop and shouldn't be there, especially if the RPM is above
1000 or so. Sounds like maybe the alternator is getting weak or has a
bad diode or worn brushes, maybe.

Dan